Non-immigrant Visa B From Australia

Having been in touch with my to-be-employer (a Thai University) and reading through a lot of the posts on this forum (and http://www.thaivisa.com/513.0.html), I was confident that I should follow these steps to get my visa:

1. Get a single entry, 90-day, Non-immigrant B Visa from Consulate in Australia. I have the necessary letters of employment, one-way ticket etc.

2. On arrival in BKK, my employer will help me get a Work Permit. They say they meet all the requirements :o

3. Once I have a WP, apply for a 1 year extension of stay through Immigration.

4. Report every 90-days to Immigration (again, my employer will do this on my behalf).

Then I’m on my way. And none of the above requires ‘visa runs’ out of Thailand, although will require me to obtain re-entry permits if I want to leave the country.

But I spoke to my local Consulate today and they recommended a $225 12 month multi-entry visa (as opposed to $90 single entry visa) and thought I would have to do visa runs every 3 months. Now I’m confused again.

Am I missing anything important in my 4 steps above? Providing my employer satisfies all conditions to get a WP (and I don’t travel out of Thailand too much), isn’t a single-entry visa sufficient?

Flash

Having been in touch with my to-be-employer (a Thai University) and reading through a lot of the posts on this forum (and http://www.thaivisa.com/513.0.html), I was confident that I should follow these steps to get my visa:

1. Get a single entry, 90-day, Non-immigrant B Visa from Consulate in Australia. I have the necessary letters of employment, one-way ticket etc.

2. On arrival in BKK, my employer will help me get a Work Permit. They say they meet all the requirements :o

3. Once I have a WP, apply for a 1 year extension of stay through Immigration.

4. Report every 90-days to Immigration (again, my employer will do this on my behalf).

Then I’m on my way. And none of the above requires ‘visa runs’ out of Thailand, although will require me to obtain re-entry permits if I want to leave the country.

But I spoke to my local Consulate today and they recommended a $225 12 month multi-entry visa (as opposed to $90 single entry visa) and thought I would have to do visa runs every 3 months. Now I’m confused again.

Am I missing anything important in my 4 steps above? Providing my employer satisfies all conditions to get a WP (and I don’t travel out of Thailand too much), isn’t a single-entry visa sufficient?

Flash

90 days is better if all goes well with your job in the next year. If you quit or are let go in the next year, then it would have been better to get the one year multi entry if you plan on staying in Thailand. You would just need to do a border run to get an additional 90 days after turning in your work permit. With just a initial 90 day visa, you would have to go to a Embassy/Consulate to get the 90 days and Embassy/Consulates bordering Thailand are not as liberal as Australia.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

A few years back the consulate in Sydney was adamant that they would not issue multi-entry Non Im visas.

The sunshine coast is the best place.

In this case, the Consulate is trying to talk him into a 12 month visa instead of 90 days. Most of the TV readers wish they had that problem. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

A few years back the consulate in Sydney was adamant that they would not issue multi-entry Non Im visas.

The sunshine coast is the best place.

In this case, the Consulate is trying to talk him into a 12 month visa instead of 90 days. Most of the TV readers wish they had that problem. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yeah, I guess not a bad problem to have. Its the Adelaide Consulate in this case. I think I'll pay them a visit tomorrow and get the 90 day visa - if I lose my job in the first year then visas will be the least of my worries. Thanks for the advice Sunbelt.