Doesnt look right

Casual1

So here's a picture of my breaker box. After researching for a bit, it doesnt seem to look correct.

1. Both wires coming into to box are black so i cant determine which is neutral.

2. Last breaker on the right, wire colors seem to be reversed for all the "code" reference concerning live and neutral.

Im doing this research because a couple months ago, tv quit working when a good storm rolled through. Repair guy said the power supply and led screen went bad on the tv. Also the PS3 (hooked to the same power stripe) quit working at the same time.

All help is appreciated.

post-192154-0-30140000-1418648437_thumb.

Let's assume that the mains connection is correct: N -> neutral bar, L -> live bar. It's an easy test if you have meter, but guessing you don't. Agree that the breaker on far right seems to be reversed with the color of wire but, depending on the circuit load and how it was wired, that may/may not be an issue.

I doubt that anything in your CU is suspect for the problem with your TV. Possibly a surge from lightning or over current from your supply - which is difficult to protect.

Looks like you have grounding but no RCD - so that (RCD) would be recommended.

The best protection for electronics when there's a T-storm around is to un-plug.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info steve, i do have meter but not smart about breaker boxes, i can check an outlet and see if a fixture/outlet is "hot" with my volt meter, but when it comes to the box, im kinda lost unless the colors are correct. Been reading up on neutral live and ground checks. Got me a little confused about which hole in an outlet is suppose to be which...except for ground. Ive read thais dont know either and can cause problems if reversed.

Been changing light fixtures and outlets for years, testing with a volt meter to make sure there was no juice before i started, but now i think i may have been wiring the outlets incorrectly with the live and neutral hook ups (still not sure if the big hole is suppose to be live or neutral).

Again, thanks. Gonna look into the rcb or rcbo for main.

roger about the t-storms, my only defense is i was away when it happened. Would like a good system in place before the next rainy season.

The wide pin is the neutral. Anyway, it's Live on the Left with the ground at the top :)

Agree with everything Steve said. You should definitely get some form of earth leakage protection, either replace the incomer with an RCBO or add an external RCBO (Safe-T-Cut is the well known brand).

Also invest in a whole house surge arrestor, you appear to have TT installation (no N-E link) so you will need a arrestor with three MOVs (L-E, N-E and L-N), I would also get a box of reasonable plug-in arrestor as well and use them with anything that is remotely delicate / expensive.

That one circuit that appears reversed, I'll bet it's lighting and at some time a fluorescent was glowing when off, a classic sign of a switched neutral, swapping at the box was an easy fix.

• Like 1

That one circuit that appears reversed, I'll bet it's lighting and at some time a fluorescent was glowing when off, a classic sign of a switched neutral, swapping at the box was an easy fix.

Yep, i have this condition with some of my neons.

Looks like a rats nest in the ceiling, grey tubes running all over the place with wires coming out at the ends and a bunch of wire ties. Circuit breakers dont make since as to which fixtures they go to. I think im gonna rewire the whole house with correct insulated wire like in the west. I read something about wire size standards in thailand, should i get the 2.5 mm wire for everything?

Thanks for the help.