Tires ingrained with mud

macknife

So I was out riding on a nice sunny day and happened to go past a construction site. There was dirty muddy looking brown water running from the site across the road. I slowed down and carried on through it and continued my ride.

When I got home, I could see that apart from the center line my tires were still dirty closer to the edges from the muddy water. As my condo doesn't have anywhere for me to clean the bike, it was left for a few days before I could take it for a wash. After the wash I could see that the tires still had these muddy marks all the around the edges. I presumed that the wash boys just didn't think to actually clean the tires as well. So a couple of days later got a bucket with some auto shampoo and tried scrubbing the tires myself. The front came out much better but the rear tire still seems to have this trace of mud ingrained in the tire. I don't think it's cement as the colour was light brown and looked exactly like muddy water should look like.

Obviously not much rain happening at the moment to help me resolve this, so my question is, how do I clean it out properly? Would I lose much traction? (The tires are Pirelli Rosso IIs)

If it did not wash off at the bike wash and even after your own efforts, chances are that it's probably a very thin layer of cement that had hardened.

However, I don't think that it would affect your traction much. Best thing to do is to take the bike out to Khao Yai or thereabouts and do some sweeping corners to try and get rid of it.

Mac the water probably did have some hydraulic lime

from concrete powder in it

May have stained your tires. Not much to be done but maybe some Armour All

or some kind of tire black/cleaner that some detail shops use would make it disappear/make your tires black again

Should not be a problem since you washed it pretty good...just discolored

Edited by mania

i also have the same problem at times on my tires. especially during rainy season as all concrete water is mixing with rain water and covering the roads on where i live due metro construction.

concrete mixed muddy water from a metro construction side also clogged my radiator as well recentlyfacepalm.gif

For the tires, just ride the bike hard with lots of acceleration and braking and the traces of the concrete will be gone. If concrete is also on the edges of the tire, be careful while leaning until the concrete is gone too.

Unsafe!

Stop riding the bike until you get this sorted out.

If you rode Pirelli Rosso l you would be okay, but Pirelli Rosso ll, danger.

Not designed for muddy water.

I don't think the OP is intending to ride in muddy water. He rode in muddied waters which subsequently muddied his tyres.

I would go with armor all or what I have been using to get rid of discoloration from mud-dirt is the Chain wax oil sucks for the chain but works great for renewing the tire sidewalls & inbetween the grooves of the tire. But if you use any type of oil be extra careful to make damn sure the oil is not on the surface of the tires so you don't slide out when you first get on it after applying. The wax oil I got works awesome for making the black parts on the engine look brand new to. At least I found a great use for this case of chain oil that sucks for chains. Unlike armorall it does not leave the tire shiny just looks like it was when it was brand new. Just be careful if your usng oil on the tread surface!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go with armor all or what I have been using to get rid of discoloration from mud-dirt is the Chain wax oil sucks for the chain but works great for renewing the tire sidewalls & inbetween the grooves of the tire. But if you use any type of oil be extra careful to make damn sure the oil is not on the surface of the tires so you don't slide out when you first get on it after applying. The wax oil I got works awesome for making the black parts on the engine look brand new to. At least I found a great use for this case of chain oil that sucks for chains. Unlike armorall it does not leave the tire shiny just looks like it was when it was brand new. Just be careful if your usng oil on the tread surface!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trouble with that is it is on the tread surface.

I've ridden the bike a fair bit since and it seems ok. I bought a can of 'Kiwi-tyre clean' a foam spray. I haven't used it yet and will probably give it a go tomorrow.

Mac this is my ride. I use that chain oil on everything to clean up the grime inside the outer parts even the brake caliper outsides & wipe down the rotors with thinner or Isopropyl alcohol later. Although the tires wern't bad from cement sluree & muck it still cleans up nice. Even some cheap ass sonix oil would clean up any muck left inside the rims engine casing frame etc. Here are a couple of pics. Just finished the last of the Camelion paint job on it.

post-32440-0-11731100-1419061481_thumb.j

post-32440-0-91234100-1419061525_thumb.j

post-32440-0-27631300-1419061539_thumb.j

^ Sharp looking bike! thumbsup.gif

I will make a note of using chain oil to clean up tough grime. Will any brand of chain oil work?

I think any can of spray oil will . Try some of the cheaper oils I am only using the chain oil cause it fell short of my expectations. I have a wax chain oil , but it is bullshit compared to the U.S. wax chain oil. Here they forgot the wax part of it. With any oil make real certain all oil is off your discs or surface of tires!!!!!

The bonus round was re lubing all the cables & now the clutch is a pleasure to pull in & the Throttle cabling was set all wrong. I think I got about 15% more power out of the bike . I was happy before but now it has a whole lot more whoooop & the throttle now opens fully!

Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by Beardog

Hi Beardog, the bike looks great with that colour scheme.

Why don't you try out board motor grease on your chain. It doesn't fling off like oil, it's high pressure and resistant to corrosion/salt spray.

Good for swing arms and wheel bearings too!

post-63954-0-76268300-1419079845_thumb.j

• Like 1

Why don't you try out board motor grease on your chain. It doesn't fling off like oil, it's high pressure and resistant to corrosion/salt spray.

attachicon.gifQuicksilver grease.JPG

I think I may. I have used before & it is very good. When I use up the belray I will head down to the marina & snag a tube. Thanks for the compliment. I just added the final 6 panels with Gold-red accents.

The quicksilver is a lifesaver on marine engines as well !Any bearings love this stuff. Since I can't get my brand of Wax lube in the states past TSA snagging it & most likely selling it on ebay anyway. I think the belray & the quicksilver are pretty much the same ingrediant. Except quicksilver is thicker & last a lot longer & is actually not as messy as the spray. Very little spittle from the stuff. OI used to use this on my boat trailers bearings great stuff.

BSJ - where do you buy it? I think I've see a few boat shops that sell boats in Pattaya, but I don't know if they will carry this or if one needs to look in the boats service centers? Don't know where to find those.

I buy it at the marine shop halfway up the Theppraya Rd hill....on the right going to Jomtien. Go in the glass doors, go inside, turn left, walk to the Quicksilver merchandiser display stand and it's there....unless they are out of stock. If you have to ask ask for "Quicksilver Da La Be".

• Like 2

attachicon.gifQuicksilver grease.JPG

I think I may. I have used before & it is very good. When I use up the belray I will head down to the marina & snag a tube. Thanks for the compliment. I just added the final 6 panels with Gold-red accents.

The quicksilver is a lifesaver on marine engines as well !Any bearings love this stuff. Since I can't get my brand of Wax lube in the states past TSA snagging it & most likely selling it on ebay anyway. I think the belray & the quicksilver are pretty much the same ingrediant. Except quicksilver is thicker & last a lot longer & is actually not as messy as the spray. Very little spittle from the stuff. OI used to use this on my boat trailers bearings great stuff.

Mate you ride would be the best looking Er6n in LOS! There are very few bikes with a colour scheme like that.