A good long term portfolio w/ good expense rations

Firstly, thanks to the posters (esp Fletch, Paddy and ExpatJ - have greatly enjoyed the opinions, advice and banter).

As noted earlier, I have an account with Interactive Brokers in the US of A and can use that platform to invest in a

number of markets - including Singapore. They have kindly confirmed that NO WithHolding Tax would be deducted by them

from any interest/dividend amount that was earned on Singapore investments and directed into my IB account.

Therefore my question - is there any benefit or otherwise to investing in the Spore market via a locally-based

(say Thai/Spore) broker rather than a US one like IB?

Tks agin!

Given that you're American and the good old US of A taxes you on worldwide income probably not based on what you've posted smile.png As mentioned I'm not an expert on US tax or US investments for Americans, so an American might be better placed to comment

For a Thai like my wife it would make a difference whether she held the account in Singapore or Thailand. Similarly it could make a difference for a Brit.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Being called a Yank is almost worse than being mistaken for a Pom...... (joking - I'm Australian, Thai resident with an IB US-based account). Assuming there is no Thai tax issue (any income generated outside of Thailand is not brought into Thailand in the year of generation), for me is there any difference in using the IB account to invest in Singapore listed coys etc (IB tell me there is no US WHT payable on interest/dividend income) rather than using broker/account in some other country (say Singapore where I also understand there will be no tax issue).

I sold those tesco shares that i bought last week- yesterday they made their big reorganization announcement and the TESCO shares jumped 10% - nice little profit for one weeks 'work'

Using this money im buying into a greek index ETF - its dropped hugely at the threat of the leading party likely to win the election this month to pull out of the Euro. But after careful research and speaking with some greek political analyst it seems clear that even if party wins- they will never, ever pull out of the euro as they are threatening- its pure posturing- once people realize this post election- the stock exchange will explode up .

So my hot tip - no charge- after tesco success- buy Greek stock index fund smile.png

I have to say i do enjoy this 'political/crisis' investing model- where you completely ignore the market fundamentals and make short term buys based on political events or big drops in blue chip stocks due to one off crisis (e.g. the tesco 200 million $ accountin hole) .

Edited by ExpatJ

You started this topic with

Im putting together a portfolio of ETFs which i plan to leave for 15 years when i retire

Now you're recklessly gambling on short term punts.

It might be thrilling, but given your obvious complete naïveté when it comes to investing (or for that matter, trading), if you carry on like this it'll all end in tears.

It doesn't bother me if you end up suffering serious financial loss. I don't care if you end up living on the streets. But for your own sake, get yourself a few good books, read up on these things, before you start throwing your money around. As things stand you're a serious danger to yourself.

You started this topic with

Im putting together a portfolio of ETFs which i plan to leave for 15 years when i retire

Now you're recklessly gambling on short term punts.

It might be thrilling, but given your obvious complete naïveté when it comes to investing (or for that matter, trading), if you carry on like this it'll all end in tears.

It doesn't bother me if you end up suffering serious financial loss. I don't care if you end up living on the streets. But for your own sake, get yourself a few good books, read up on these things, before you start throwing your money around. As things stand you're a serious danger to yourself.

Lol

You sound like a pantomime mother in law.

I put a small amount aside to take advantage of investment opportunities such as this. I made +17% on the Russian index following the invasion of Ukraine knowing eu would not impose serious sanctions at the time; +5% indonesia index because the pro market candidate won the election ; +10% tesco. All of these trades were made and cashed out within two weeks.

But if you don't have an understanding of geo political issues then I wouldn't recommend you try it.

Edited by ExpatJ

But if you don't have an understanding of geo political issues then I wouldn't recommend you try it.

I would never take any recommendation from you. You simply don't have the understanding or experience.

I would never take any recommendation from you. You simply don't have the understanding or experience.
Lol

I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh at you, it's just unusual and hence quite funny, to see these sorts of childish, immature attacks in the business Forum of Thai visa.

Edited by ExpatJ

Firstly, thanks to the posters (esp Fletch, Paddy and ExpatJ - have greatly enjoyed the opinions, advice and banter).

As noted earlier, I have an account with Interactive Brokers in the US of A and can use that platform to invest in a

number of markets - including Singapore. They have kindly confirmed that NO WithHolding Tax would be deducted by them

from any interest/dividend amount that was earned on Singapore investments and directed into my IB account.

Therefore my question - is there any benefit or otherwise to investing in the Spore market via a locally-based

Tks agin!

Given that you're American and the good old US of A taxes you on worldwide income probably not based on what you've posted smile.png As mentioned I'm not an expert on US tax or US investments for Americans, so an American might be better placed to comment

For a Thai like my wife it would make a difference whether she held the account in Singapore or Thailand. Similarly it could make a difference for a Brit.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Being called a Yank is almost worse than being mistaken for a Pom...... (joking - I'm Australian, Thai resident with an IB US-based account). Assuming there is no Thai tax issue (any income generated outside of Thailand is not brought into Thailand in the year of generation), for me is there any difference in using the IB account to invest in Singapore listed coys etc (IB tell me there is no US WHT payable on interest/dividend income) rather than using broker/account in some other country (say Singapore where I also understand there will be no tax issue).

Ah got it. A few hundred years back, some went west to butcher the natives, and others got sent east because of crimes committed in the UK. You're a descendant of the latter, but are trying to change your kharma by choosing a brokerage run by the descendants of butchers rather one by descendants of criminals, and asking a Pom if it's OK to do so? Got it laugh.png

Back to the present: you're an Australian, tax resident in Thailand, looking at whether it makes a diffference to use a US broker or Singapore broker when it comes to tax on Singapore investments?

As you say, if let offshore for tax, then no problem for Thailand. Singapore is OK. US sounds OK, that just leaves Australia. Not sure to what extent or not you are taxable in any way I Australia. If not then overall no problem.

Australia also has some messy tax implications, and is another country I avoid myself as a Brit, because of tax - the business of franked dividends or not at 30% gets a nuisance sometimes. I do have an Australian friend living here, who claims to be tax resident in Australia and keeps an address there for tax purposes and reclaims on his Australian investments, but that's just Australian investments not overseas.

So if you're comfortable it's not captured by Aussie tax in any way you sound OK.

BTW ExpatJ's problem is due to the funds. If he picks a Singapore ETF/fund based investment that is domiciled in the US, even though the underlying investments are Singporean, because the fund is domiciled in US it starts to be captured. If your investments are Singaporean funds registered in Singapore, or Singaporean shares etc the broker should not affect the tax. The only thing they can mess things up with is admin/ procedures like Saxo apparently in Singapore

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Tks agin!

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Ah got it. A few hundred years back, some went west to butcher the natives, and others got sent east because of crimes committed in the UK. You're a descendant of the latter, but are trying to change your kharma by choosing a brokerage run by the descendants of butchers rather one by descendants of criminals, and asking a Pom if it's OK to do so? Got it laugh.png

Back to the present: you're an Australian, tax resident in Thailand, looking at whether it makes a diffference to use a US broker or Singapore broker when it comes to tax on Singapore investments?

As you say, if let offshore for tax, then no problem for Thailand. Singapore is OK. US sounds OK, that just leaves Australia. Not sure to what extent or not you are taxable in any way I Australia. If not then overall no problem.

Australia also has some messy tax implications, and is another country I avoid myself as a Brit, because of tax - the business of franked dividends or not at 30% gets a nuisance sometimes. I do have an Australian friend living here, who claims to be tax resident in Australia and keeps an address there for tax purposes and reclaims on his Australian investments, but that's just Australian investments not overseas.

So if you're comfortable it's not captured by Aussie tax in any way you sound OK.

BTW ExpatJ's problem is due to the funds. If he picks a Singapore ETF/fund based investment that is domiciled in the US, even though the underlying investments are Singporean, because the fund is domiciled in US it starts to be captured. If your investments are Singaporean funds registered in Singapore, or Singaporean shares etc the broker should not affect the tax. The only thing they can mess things up with is admin/ procedures like Saxo apparently in Singapore

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Fletch your problem is if your singapore fund is Asia managed in singapore and one is paying typical Asia region 2-4% in fees compared to 0.2% in the USA for the same stocks you are looking at paying 10,000s $ more over 10 years. Horses for courses. You prefer paying higher fees and me higher taxes apparently :) Edited by ExpatJ

Fletch your problem is if your singapore fund is Asia managed in singapore and one is paying typical Asia region 2-4% in fees compared to 0.2% in the USA for the same stocks you are looking at paying 10,000s $ more over 10 years. Horses for courses. You prefer paying higher fees and me higher taxes apparently smile.png

Dinga, had asked about a question about the tax implications of his Singapore investments of buying thru a US broker instead of a Singapore broker, given that he is an Australian. Having helped answer that, I contrasted it with where there is an issue, which is what prompted his questions, i.e buying US domiciled investment thru a Singapore broker - i.e opposite way round . The question was on tax.

As for fees, I don't pay those rates. No idea why you keep saying that. No Asia doesn't have to be 2-4% in fees. What you keep posting is rubbish. If you knew anything about what you were talking about you'd see there are many comparable ETFs in Singapore (more limited range). Didn't you read the link above? or the discussion posts?

For someone like you who doesn't know what they are doing, maybe you have been offered 2-4% or 2-5%. This is unneccessary. Only people like you who don't know what they are doing would pay that. The rest of us found cheaper ways in Asia years ago.

To be honest I've got tired of your snide comments. You started them on post #13, linking me to fees of 2% - 5% and just continued. Prior to that I had simply tried to offer constructive advice and share thoughts.

You still haven't grasped I don't prefer pay higher fees, just as an experience investor I know my way around, and when it may be worth paying a little more and when not. Yuu clearly don't. Nor can you grasp the concepts. Not much point debating with you. For anyone else who understands investments they can check out my posts:

- for fees of between 0 - 1.75% overall,

- Singapore ETFs, 0.X%

- UK discount broker, where I pay 0.06% to 1% etc etc.

- Thailand generally about 1% above UK

This whole thread highlights you don't really have a clue when it comes to investment. Not just fees, but how dividends work, and investments generally. So I'll leave you to it.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

We

Fletch your problem is if your singapore fund is Asia managed in singapore and one is paying typical Asia region 2-4% in fees compared to 0.2% in the USA for the same stocks you are looking at paying 10,000s $ more over 10 years. Horses for courses. You prefer paying higher fees and me higher taxes apparently smile.png

Dinga, had asked about a question about the tax implications of his Singapore investments of buying thru a US broker instead of a Singapore broker, given that he is an Australian. Having helped answer that, I contrasted it with where there is an issue, which is what prompted his questions, i.e buying US domiciled investment thru a Singapore broker - i.e opposite way round . The question was on tax.

As for fees, I don't pay those rates. No idea why you keep saying that. No Asia doesn't have to be 2-4% in fees. What you keep posting is rubbish. If you knew anything about what you were talking about you'd see there are many comparable ETFs in Singapore (more limited range). Didn't you read the link above? or the discussion posts?

For someone like you who doesn't know what they are doing, maybe you have been offered 2-4% or 2-5%. This is unneccessary. Only people like you who don't know what they are doing would pay that. The rest of us found cheaper ways in Asia years ago.

To be honest I've got tired of your snide comments. You started them on post #13, linking me to fees of 2% - 5% and just continued. Prior to that I had simply tried to offer constructive advice and share thoughts.

You still haven't grasped I don't prefer pay higher fees. Not much point debating with you. For anyone else who understands investments they can check out my posts:

- Singapore ETFs,

This whole thread highlights you don't really have a clue when it comes to investment. Not just fees, but how dividends work, and investments generally. So I'll leave you to it.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

see

it was you who started attacking me in this thread.

I am happy to let the other readers of this thread decide who is being snide and attacking and condescending here.

In the meantime both you and AyG are coming across as petulant little 7 year old boys who happen to know something about investing and who throw little temper tantrums whenever someone attempts to contradict you. Good lord.

Why don't you try this... Try posting something here without including childish little attacks on me in it. Go on, you may enjoy it. I'm certain the other readers would appreciate it.

Edited by ExpatJ

We

You still haven't grasped I don't prefer pay higher fees. Not much point debating with you. For anyone else who understands investments they can check out my posts:

- Singapore ETFs,

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

see

it was you who started attacking me in this thread.

I am happy to let the other readers of this thread decide who is being snide and attacking and condescending here.

In the meantime both you and AyG are coming across as petulant little 7 year old boys who happen to know something about investing and who throw little temper tantrums whenever someone attempts to contradict you. Good lord.

Why don't you try this... Try posting something here without including childish little attacks on me in it. Go on, you may enjoy it. I'm certain the other readers would appreciate it.

And I forgot to add- I am not going to post anything snide or attacking fletch or ayg unless they do first. . I hope this can allow us all to focus on investing instead! :)