Scrap US gold (10-18k) - sell it here?

Mencken

Any idea where I might sell some gold items. Some quite light, others as heavy as a ring. Overall, its not much. Scrap stuff.

Also like to smelt it and make a 23k ring or whatever out of it.

Thanks

Edited by Mencken

Very little market for gold in Thailand that is not Thai gold. They will not have any place to resell it and really don't wanna mess with it. Kinda like trying to sell baht back to banks in the US. You might find someone that will take baht but you will get a crap exchange rate as they don't wanna mess it that as well.

Not really possible to melt your US 10-18K gold and turn it into Thai gold. Thai gold is 23K (about 94% pure gold - 24K is considered pure gold) and I don't know how you would be able to get the other base metals that went into making yours the purity that it is separated away from the bullion.

IMO, 23K Thai gold is too soft for jewelry and I would never want any. Your pretty round ring will soon mostly be square if you wear it daily.

Cheers!

I live in Chiang Mai, a jeweler with metallurgy experience, and have done this several times. Contact me directly if you want to negotiate and sell it to me.

One issue is that even though it is marked 10 K or 18 K , more often than not, it can be anything .. Markings mean nothing , especially on older Gold. Even from Europe or America's.

I had a few nice pieces just ending up being Trash.

Mexico - nice ring, gold, filled with Sand of all things, was brittle and impossible to resize, so it had to be re-smelted.

Canada - nice ring, 18K marking, was pot metal / mercury / copper / Gold Plate.. ( Exploded when heated for melting , literally disappeared )

USA - pendants and fobs , often lucky to get 80% of what is stamped on them.

23K - for those who love the color of REAL GOLD. I have my first ring, 20 years old, still in great shape, not square. They mix Zinc into the Gold, hardens it up real nice.

China Town in Bangkok, nothing but bad experiences, fixed scales, all sorts of little scams.

CHEERS !!

Word to the wise, unless you know the jeweller very well, expect to be cheated, what you will

get back will not the same you started out with.. they just can't help themselves no to do it...

What you're saying is that all jewellers in Thailand are dishonest. ....and as jewellers are a cross section of the community here inThailand ...well at least of the middle and upper income section of the population. ....as a correlation ...all middle and upper income Thais are dishonest. ..

I wonder how many people would agree with your perspective of Thai society.....I for one do not!!

I tried to sell two small pieces of gold in Bangkok last year but the places I approached were either not interested or the price offered was very low. To expand on this, I also made several enquiries regarding engraving and on each occasion it was a shake of the head, 'not know'. If per chance anyone knows where in central Esan I might find this service I would be most grtaeful.

Word to the wise, unless you know the jeweller very well, expect to be cheated, what you will

get back will not the same you started out with.. they just can't help themselves no to do it...

" ... they just can't help themselves not to do it..."

The same compulsive behavior seems to apply to those who feel the need to mindlessly assume that everyone in Thailand and Asia is innately dishonest unless proven otherwise ... most likely based on little else than an overactive imagination and tendency to see conspiracy lurking in the shadows everywhere.

Hate to be blunt. If it ain't Thai gold no-one wants it and they will rob you blind on price if you wanna sell it. Forget melting down no-one here will do it for you. Mate if it's anything less than 18k your wasting your time. Wait till next time you go home and hock it otherwise throw it. Anything less than 18k is worthless rubbish anyway, you might as well be trying to sell silver or in your case brass.. sorrywai.gif

Very little market for gold in Thailand that is not Thai gold. They will not have any place to resell it and really don't wanna mess with it. Kinda like trying to sell baht back to banks in the US. You might find someone that will take baht but you will get a crap exchange rate as they don't wanna mess it that as well.

Not really possible to melt your US 10-18K gold and turn it into Thai gold. Thai gold is 23K (about 94% pure gold - 24K is considered pure gold) and I don't know how you would be able to get the other base metals that went into making yours the purity that it is separated away from the bullion.

IMO, 23K Thai gold is too soft for jewelry and I would never want any. Your pretty round ring will soon mostly be square if you wear it daily.

Cheers!

Thai gold is 24K. You could have problems with a gem in it but the statement that you ring will be square it utter BS.

Cheers!

Thai gold isn't 23k it's 24k which is 96.5% not 95% just sayin' ;)

Cheers!

Thai gold is 24K. You could have problems with a gem in it but the statement that you ring will be square it utter BS.

My wedding ring is Thai gold and I stopped wearing it as it was permanently misshapen as its so soft. Looks good but impractical.

Cheers!

My wedding ring is Thai gold and I stopped wearing it as it was permanently misshapen as its so soft. Looks good but impractical.

My wedding ring is Thai gold and i don't have a problem (besides my finger is getting to big for it)

Cheers!

Thai gold isn't 23k it's 24k which is 96.5% not 95% just sayin' wink.png

96.5% IS 23K! If you going to be "just sayin'" you might want to get it right. 23 parts pure gold, one part another metal.

"Thai gold is 24K. You could have problems with a gem in it but the statement that you ring will be square it utter BS."

You might want to do your homework as well. goldpricethai.com might help you in this regard.

Edited by bluebluewater

Before you go you should do some homework. For example, determine what karat gold you have (14, 18, etc...) then look at the daily price of gold when you sell it. Then know the weight of the gold. Calculate all important factors so you know before you go to the gold shop. If you want a ring that's 23k, of course you will have to add higher purity gold if your scape is less than that.

Yes, i'm a newbie in this forum, no, i'm not a newbie in Thailand. It's bullshit to say most goldshops are cheeting as it's nonsense to say there is no reasonable place, especially in bangkok, to sell foreign gold whatever how many k's. I've got good prices and they are absolutely able to melt it themselves. I know the shops, but not the adresses. Ask your friends and look around, you will find them. Sell your old gold at any such shop and buy something new in a goldshop, preferebly recommanded by friends.

I sold last year and beginning of this year, some EU Gold pieces, = mostly 18 Karat Gold.

They checked it in the Gold shop, either only the stamp or also with a test kit and paid me the 18 or 14 Karat Gold part of my pieces. Just a calculation. wink.png

Cheers!

Thai gold isn't 23k it's 24k which is 96.5% not 95% just sayin' wink.png

96.5% IS 23K! If you going to be "just sayin'" you might want to get it right. 23 parts pure gold, one part another metal.

"Thai gold is 24K. You could have problems with a gem in it but the statement that you ring will be square it utter BS."

You might want to do your homework as well. goldpricethai.com might help you in this regard.

23K is 95.83% gold

• 10 months later...

"Word to the wise..."

From a dumb and ill-informed basher.

You're talking out of your backside but he couldn't get back much worse than 10k, could he?