Apparently Microsoft generated email: an attempt was made to access your email account...

Narinukun

Microsoft logs the usual IP address webmail originates from. So if your emails are usually sent from Thailand, but you attempt to use the account to send one from Laos for example, then that will generate a warning.

The warning will contain the IP address the attempt to login was sent from so you can check that here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

Can you post the headers / technical Info from the Email ? (With your personal Info removed of course)

Unfortunately I have deleted the email... but a colleague has also received several of these as well and I will try and post it here soon.

The IP that the email originated from was definitely one of those belonging to TOTisp, Chaeng Wattana...I checked it myself...

In the email is a button that asks you to 'Check Past Activity'

This then takes you to a page that is definitely NOT Microsoft.

Before you can procede to use any of the functionality of the webpage, you have to login with your email name and password...

Ergo my assumption that this is a phishing scam...

Can you post the headers / technical Info from the Email ? (With your personal Info removed of course)

Unfortunately I have deleted the email... but a colleague has also received several of these as well and I will try and post it here soon.

The IP that the email originated from was definitely one of those belonging to TOTisp, Chaeng Wattana...I checked it myself...

Before you can procede to use any of the functionality of the webpage, you have to login with your email name and password...

I would not advise clicking any button within a suspicious email.

• Like 1

In future don't click the button, it could well be the trigger for an infection.

Just hover the mouse over it to see the exact URL.

And yes, it does sound suspicious - did it prompt you for your login credentials?

I have a similar message from Microsoft, they are telling me that they think someone has hacked into my account and they ask me to fill in details of my account, I have not clicked on anything as although I am a computer dummy I smell a rat. I still have the message in my in box.

I have a similar message from Microsoft, they are telling me that they think someone has hacked into my account and they ask me to fill in details of my account, I have not clicked on anything as although I am a computer dummy I smell a rat. I still have the message in my in box.

Why don't you just delete or spam it.I do this to any mail that comes from an unusual source.It may not be doing any harm but it still worries me leaving it in my mail box .Anyway if you are not going to open it ,why hang on to it

Edited by biplanebluey

To be on the safe side, you should log into your account the usual way and change your password, if you are in any doubt. It's unlikely to be genuine, but changing your password won't do any harm.

Actually, I think those messages may be legit if you use an e-mail client and are accessing a hotmail.com or outlook.com e-mail account from a new location and/or different ISP. I just took a three-week trip overseas, and every time I logged on from a new location I got one of those e-mails when trying to download messages with Thunderbird:

post-33251-0-60482600-1419453625_thumb.g

I think this is a new security measure from Microsoft, but it sure is annoying when you're on the road. After you get such a message, if you go to your browser to log on to your Hotmail/Outlook.com account manually, then you don't get further messages for the most recent location. Move to a new location, even such as going to a friend's house and using their WiFi, and you'll be blocked from downloading messages until you manually log on via a browser.

The URL for the "Review recent activity" link in a valid Microsoft message should read: https://account.live.com/activity. However, it won't be long until spammers/hackers start spoofing that message, so I recommend not using the link. Just go manually to hotmail.com or outlook.com and display your inbox, then log off.