Meat exposed in open tubs

Anthony5

Posted 2014-12-19 19:39:52

As you probably will have noticed already, the major supermarkets in Thailand have a tending to sell their chicken and other meats in big open tubs stationed in the middle of the walking area.

That way it is all day exposed to sneezes, coughs and more of thousand of people passing and scrambling in those tubs. Some may have diseases that are transmittable or bad hygiene.

I for one will never buy any meat out of such a tub, even if it was for free, and would think that in the Western world this would be strictly forbidden.

you wouldnt have to buy it if it was free,,

well i buy it and never been ill,, ive seen far worce in sone of the coutries ive worked in,

if you listend to all the experts,doctors ect who say dont eat red meat, dont eat this dont eat that,,,

you would bloody starve to death,,,

• Like 2

Apparently the concept of 'cooking' never crossed the fearmongers' minds ;-)

Apparently the fact that in country like this the majority of the people have never been educated about how to properly handle meat never crossed the apologists minds.

education never trumped experience. the way they cook meat here kills everything. and they been doin it for hundreds of years.

They must been doing a good job for the past 100 years then with a life expectancy almost 30% lower than the rest of the world.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/country-health-profile/thailand

30% lower?? lol. i guess they didnt teach math at that school where you got all your so-called education!! and your own link shows food poisoning wasnt exactly a big killer!! lol

I have never been sick buying local produce (except for beef) and cooking it myself; including the pork, chicken fish etc in open tubs.

I have, however, been sick many times eating out.

So I am more concerned with where restaurants source their food supplies.

• Like 1

I have never been sick buying local produce (except for beef) and cooking it myself; including the pork, chicken fish etc in open tubs.

But, but according to some posters on this thread, if you cook it properly there can't be any problems. And who else but a restaurant would know how to properly cook meats?

• Like 1

But, but according to some posters on this thread, if you cook it properly there can't be any problems. And who else but a restaurant would know how to properly cook meats?

lol! just because its a restaurant means they maintain standards?

• Like 1

lol! just because its a restaurant means they maintain standards?

I am beginning to think that Anthony has never seen the inside of a commercial kitchen.

Hey Gents. I know nothing about cooking. I had to do some "Hierachy of hazard control measures" in some "hygiene for food handlers" course years ago as a part of my engineering qualifications. But I can honestly remember FA about it.

I am just saying that; I have never had a problem with cooking my own meats, but have been sick more than a few times eating out.

Argue away......

I can side that, I have never been sick from my own cooking, and a lot of my food came from the open tubs at the Tesco or local markets. You should however buy there with open eye and open senses. Use your nose to determine if to buy the shrimps or the fish, or not. I have never seen green meats being offered in these tubs. I however believe some of the posters here that wolfed meats turn green after one day in the fridge at home.

Eating out carries by far more risks of food poisoning . . . simply by wrong HANDLING of foods, wrong storage, bad hygiene of the cooks and the staff. Bad hygiene of cutting boards, cups and plates and kitchen equipment. I have personally experienced unaccounted for sh...tery days from restaurant food, too many to describe in one book let alone here on TV.

The OP is right, the shelf life of bacteria is the question, and the amount of bacteria can double very quickly during a day in the open tubs, opposed to all the airborne bacteria, but I can rest assure, I have yet to see anyone sneeze right in front of the tubs, or touch the meat with their hands (even Thai people would give the person doing so an angry glance!) so I think the fear is neglectible. Of course only assured the staff manning the meat and fish tubs are conform with hygiene handling . . . their handling alone counts, not the people walking past the displays . .

the risks of a stapphylococcus infection by abrasions or cuts in the skin, or the infection of small wounds, is much higher than the risk of food poisoning. I tend to be very wary of not to scratch at mosquito bites, as the amount of bacteria on your skin after an afternoon out can be amazingly high !

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Lovely strawman - plenty of cases of restaurants serving undercooked meats or tainted vegetables (as in salads).

• Like 1

Lovely strawman - plenty of cases of restaurants serving undercooked meats or tainted vegetables (as in salads).

So tell me, do they undercook on purpose or is it that they don't know how to properly cook the meat?

So tell me, do they undercook on purpose or is it that they don't know how to properly cook the meat?

neither, just plain sloppy

Getting food out fast, at times the chef feels speed is more important than anything else.

I've been served raw pork at a noodle shop, I assume they cooked the pork in one large batch in the frying pan that morning, and my piece must have been in the centre of the lump, never touched the oil, totally raw. When its like that, it doesn't matter where the meat is sourced.

• Like 1

While it's totally okay to just admit that you were wrong, I just don't see you ever doing that - just like those like you, you'd rather keep poking at minutiae and building strawmen than just admit having been in error.

• Like 2

While it's totally okay to just admit that you were wrong, I just don't see you ever doing that - just like those like you, you'd rather keep poking at minutiae and building strawmen than just admit having been in error.

Wait a minute, last time I checked this was a forum, and the purpose of a forum is to hold a discussion.

So what was that again about me being always wrong and you always right?

Wait a minute, last time I checked this was a forum, and the purpose of a forum is to hold a discussion.

So what was that again about me being always wrong and you always right?

always?/