If you were at Bamboo Bar (WS) early this morning (20/12/14) ...

MrWorldwide

Then you'll know what I mean when I say where the freakin' hell did all those punters come from ? No shortage of freelancers in that bar, even in the depths of low season, but they are often left to do their makeup and work on their Facebook profiles - let's just say that their prospects appeared considerably brighter tonight. Having fled my apartment to escape a neighbourhood karaoke night, I didnt think the crowd in WS was a patch on the high seasons of old, but that mob in Bamboo Bar was definitely straight out of a vintage high season. Perhaps there's life in the old girl yet ;)

(fwiw, I thought the rest of WS was relatively dead - steady stream heading into I-Bar and the two Isaan discos at the top of the Soi, but the rest appeared fairly sedate. Happy to hear feedback to the contrary - I bailed at ~1:30am so things may well have been different later)

Hey OP you must be very old, only old worn out guys go into the bamboo bar.coffee1.gif

I'm 55 and I made my observation returning from Hot Tuna, which seems to have become a Russian hangout - 30 customers max. The Bamboo Bar crowd might have been old, but anyone who still has the energy to pump money into the Pattaya economy at that hour has my respect - a marked contrast to many of the bars I saw on my way back from Hot Tuna. WS is mostly gawkers these days - gawkers might add to the sense that there are a lot of people in town, but I dont believe they spend any money on anything beyond food. If you think all that neon in WS pays for itself, think again.

The OP admits to leaving WS ~1.30am... so not a very qualitative assessment by any stretch of the foreskin.

I have seem some... incredible sights as they stumble home from WS around 7am. Mostly shirtless and legless and tagging high-heeled totty that's well past the 'use-by' date. In fact, some of the sights are quite scarring.

Looking forward to the OP's next installment but hoping he toughs it out a bit longer. I agree that there's (literally) life in the old girl yet.

Plenty of life in some bars that are not charging the earth for a drink (I found the Bamboo prices way too high for what that place is).

We are the World learnt their lesson in that after they upped their prices to 80 Baht a small beer at one point and the place emptied. Now it is back to 55 Baht they are busy most nights.

Triangle bar with 2 for 1 @ 90 Baht is another example along with the bar opposite.

LK metro (for draught beer) is very well priced and expanding.

I suppose it all depends on what you want on a night out. I find most long term stayers are looking for places with better prices.