When you first came to Thailand, how did you get here?

isanbirder

On the thread about where you stayed, I noticed one poster (Aladdin) mentioned that he had come by train.

I did too.... from Singapore in 1957. We could only buy tickets to Padang Besar, where we had to buy new tickets for the rest of the journey. Nobody spoke English, and my friend and I, being just airmen, didn't speak Malay. When we asked for tickets to Bangkok, the ticket office refused!

"Thonburi! Thonburi!" they said. Of course we had never heard of Thonburi, but we spent the next n hours travelling to this place. When we got there, it was rather a large station, so we were confident enough to summon a samlor, and say "YMCA, Sathorn Road". "15 baht", he said, so off we went.

Of course we had arrived at Hualamphong (which I can't spell); whatever was wrong must have been rectified in the meantime

To put it in historical context, we arrived just three weeks after Pibul Songgram had been ousted.

N.B. Those who came by air need not post.... or else you'll swamp the forum!

1984 by taxi through Changloon/Sadao.

Caught what was referred to as a Thai Taxi from Butterworth in Malaysia to Hadyai. The taxi was a Thai registered big old yank tank, possibly a Chevy impala, modified with a diesel engine.