Under The Table Payments? How Many Have You Done?

MauiSteveBKK

OK ... on purpose, I am going to be a bit vague.

But --- I needed a Government Criminal Background Verification document for a particular VISA for my Thai Wife. I was told by my lawyer that the "normal" process took 15-20 business days. But that for 2,200THB .. the document could be produced in just 5 business days, via "under the table". So I paid them. With USA holidays, etc. that could add 3 weeks to the process. I gave them the BAHT.

Was I right in doing this? He said I would get a receipt, but has not produced one at the moment.

It's a highly well-known law firm and I trust them.

In the last year, I've paid a few 200THB and 300THB "under the cover payments", but this was the largest.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm in Mexico, where everyone has to be paid-off.

• Like 1

Have been driving in Thailand for three years now, and there have been three attempts to give me tickets or ask for money as a special handling fee.

I am proud to say I have refused to pay a single baht on all three occasions.

1. Supposedly speeding at 110 kph. Flagged down by policeman who told me the speed limit was 100 mph. Happened to have GPS system on, which showed that the speed limit was 120. Showed this to police officer who then let me go without a ticket.

2. Was driving in right hand passing lane. Policeman wanted to ticket me for driving in the passing lane when I wasn't actually passing anyone. Was able to explain that I was getting ready to make a U-turn, and showed the cop paperwork which showed where I was going and would need to make a U-turn to get there. Cop let me go without a ticket.

3. Immigration office tried to ask me for a 1000 baht under the table special payment for a letter documenting where I lived (in order to purchase a car). I acted like they had just asked me for 100,000 baht. Let's just say my face expressed how I felt about this request. They quickly withdrew the request. I think the officer was scared she might get reported.

Other than that, I have never ever paid any money under the table in Thailand, and encourage everyone to resist doing this.

The more people pay, the more this encourages corruption.

You cheap Charlie's, I had a cop flag me down outside korat, said I was speeding. I told him I wasn't, he than asked the wife if I would give him a hundred baht for coffee, I laughed, handed him a hundred baht, he waied me and I drove away laughing.

• Like 2

Speaking english initially with gov officials leaves one open for ....under table payments......so when they tried ...i started to speak thai to them....showing them my wallet with kids photos .....okay ... smiles....they started to chat.....off i could go.

Fear.....they do not know who you know...

• Like 1