Do I have any hope to find a job teacher in Thailand with my background ?

Danielsiam

Well, I would like to know if with my background I can have any hope to find a job.. in LOS

I'm french native speaker, I don't have any degree, or experience in teaching anywhere.

I can speak english just like the average Thai people.

I can speak some Thai & also read/write some.. but not fluently.

I don't know with if with theses things I can have hope to find a job.. or I need to study more things to be able to teaching in Thailand..

I speak Thai like the average tourist. Do you think I could teach Thai in Thailand? Yes this is a negative reply but be honest with yourself. If you were a parent of little Somchai, wouldn't you rather have him taught by someone who is at the very least a native speaker of the subject being taught? This is after all what you are paying the school fees for right?

When i was at school i learnt all my french from english people, nobody seemed to think twice about that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you cant do a good job. The real question is, however, not if you are a native speaker but are you a good teacher. Non native speakers who have learnt the target language often have a greater insight. I am English but I taught Thai in Bangkok for twenty years. Go for it, mon ami!

• Like 2

Not to bash but if you speak English like the average Thai, does not bode well for you. But your written English is not bad and maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit. Like others have said, if you're able to teach, articulate well enough to explain premise, then go for it.

At worse, at 3 months either you or the school will just cut ties. You don't have much to lose.

First of all you need to speak English correctly. It's not any hope to find a job teacher in Thailand. It's any hope of finding a teaching job in Thailand.

Depending where you teach you need teaching credentials like Bachelors Degree in teaching or you must have TELF Certificate to each.

Well you shouldn't have much chance but there are other issues apart from academic qualifications. A happy personality and being a good natural teacher helps. Learn some theory by reading the introduction to the Headway series. Dress smart at interviews.

First of all you need to speak English correctly. It's not any hope to find a job teacher in Thailand. It's any hope of finding a teaching job in Thailand.

Depending where you teach you need teaching credentials like Bachelors Degree in teaching or you must have TELF Certificate to each.

Where does the OP say he wants to teach English?

Many schools offer French language or other subjects like maths, science, etc taught in English.

You do NOT need a BEd to teach nor a TEFL.

Usually a Bachelors in anything and that is often overlooked.

You're a little quick to jump on his English skills.

How many languages do you speak?

Where does the OP say he wants to teach English?

Many schools offer French language or other subjects like maths, science, etc taught in English.

You do NOT need a BEd to teach nor a TEFL.

Usually a Bachelors in anything and that is often overlooked.

You're a little quick to jump on his English skills.

How many languages do you speak?

Of course not. Anyone can teach - maths, we do it everyday, their native language, been speaking it for years, science bit trickier but can always watch the History and Discovery channels.

What are your qualifications and experiences of teaching? Are you an educationalist?

Not to bash but if you speak English like the average Thai, does not bode well for you. But your written English is not bad and maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit. Like others have said, if you're able to teach, articulate well enough to explain premise, then go for it.

At worse, at 3 months either you or the school will just cut ties. You don't have much to lose.

Written English not bad????

I recall that we had at one school I worked at here some 20 years ago a splendid Austrian music teacher who also had four periods a week with a remedial class for slow learners of English .

He was a superb teacher in both subjects and also qualified in Austria to teach both music and English.

He, understandably, imagines that he speaks English like the average Thai because insufficient time has elapsed for him to revise downwards his initial impressions regarding average local English ability after any number of years of schooling.

it sounds you will excel in your quest to become a teacher on a par with the standard required + a bit of paper work

"it sounds you will excel ..."

Reading through the posts in this thread, it would appear to be a case of "the blind leading the blind."

Just dress well and look presentable.

Yes, that's the most important qualification for teaching.

Where did it say he wanted to teach English. What is a "native speaker" of maths or science. Maybe he's looking to teach French,in which case he is a native speaker.

Regardless of what he would like to teach he has no previous teaching experience or appropriate qualifications.

Would he be given a teacher's job in his own country?

Then why on earth would anyone think he should be given one here. Teaching is a difficult profession, requires study, skill and continuous learning and development.

Still if that doesn't work out perhaps he could try his hand at brain surgery, dentistry or plastic surgery is lucrative.

The analogy is silly and if you are a teacher, vainglorious because even the most committed TEFLer would not equate their profession with medicine least of all brain surgery. It is unlike that a grammatical slip would lead to instant death. Many people are natural teachers and here in Thailand where the wages are low they an be very effective given the right guidance and support.

• Like 1

Hi op I am a qualified teacher who after some time hear applied for a job at a reputable school. They wanted my bachelor degree and yes a real one which they check with the University plus your qualified teacher status in your own country plus evidence of teaching experience lesson observations, references from school principle etc. this is in line with them becoming ASEAN community. Yes there was a time when you could do a TEFL or ESOL course and no problem and some schools will still take anyone but for a lot less money. However the official rules and I repeat official rules for teachers have changed. Once you have a contract you need authority from Ministry of Education for your teaching licence after they have approved all your docs. Then you go to the embassy for your Non Im Visa for English teacher. Everything hunky dory until they ask you for your enhanced CRB check (criminal records bureau) which you need to work in schools anywhere in the world and now OFFICIALLY in Thailand. No problem I've been teaching in schools in UK for over 5 years there you go.... No good it has to be issued within the last 6 months in your OWN country. An individual cannot apply for one only the employing organisation and guess what a Thai school can't apply for a foreign enhanced CRB and a local thai police check here is worth shit it will not check a foreigners background in their own country they could have done anything. So no English teacher visa unless you go back to your own country get a job teaching get a new Enhanced CRB, quit the job after a month come to Thailand and see if you can find a job, get the necessary paperwork done and hey presto. Lot of work for what is not exactly an outstanding wage. Sorry to be negative but that was my experience of trying to do it correctly and like so many things here it's BS on paperwork that Thai authorities don't understand. They want qualified teachers to improve education...but they don't want to pay and they make it hard. Had to laugh when I've seen a school employ an English teacher who was Filipino whose only qualification was a 10 hour TEFL course...her accent was worse than some of the students.

As I say that is the official line for a visa for English teacher now. You may get under the radar but as soon as you apply for a visa for a teacher they will ask you for all those docs. Let there education remain third world. Like so many things they want our money, maybe our experience but certainly not us.

I am now teaching in University as I could provide all my docs but didn't need an enhanced CRB recent they accepted my old one as I am working with young adults an not children.

By all means try but I think you have a hell of a quest not even being a native English speaker. If you want to teach French I think you will encounter the same problems.

As someone earlier suggested why not try translation services for the French expat community here, however you will have to brush up on your Thai

Good luck my friend don't let the b**t***s grind you down!

• Like 1

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

Just dress well and look presentable.

Yes, that's the most important qualification for teaching.

Where did it say he wanted to teach English. What is a "native speaker" of maths or science. Maybe he's looking to teach French,in which case he is a native speaker.

Regardless of what he would like to teach he has no previous teaching experience or appropriate qualifications.

Would he be given a teacher's job in his own country?

Then why on earth would anyone think he should be given one here. Teaching is a difficult profession, requires study, skill and continuous learning and development.

Still if that doesn't work out perhaps he could try his hand at brain surgery, dentistry or plastic surgery is lucrative.

The analogy is silly and if you are a teacher, vainglorious because even the most committed TEFLer would not equate their profession with medicine least of all brain surgery. It is unlike that a grammatical slip would lead to instant death. Many people are natural teachers and here in Thailand where the wages are low they an be very effective given the right guidance and support.

I agree many people are natural teachers, however if the Ed authority are looking to improve they are right to request qualified teachers even though that creates a ton of paperwork. You can have natural skills in anything but would you want the hospital tea lady fixing a cannula in you? Would you want your own child to be taught a subject at school by the caretaker? No you want your children's future to be the best it can. Teaching is a dedicated caring profession. Not an excuse to get a visa and stay in the country as an easy option.

Edited by Grauwulf
  • Like 1

First of all you need a work permit,unless you can find a school that could help you,also you are supposed to have a degree of sorts.If you make enough enquiries you might change your mind and forget this notion,it is definately not worth the hassle,the hours,and of course the huge hourly rate.The minimum qualification needed is a tefl cert,including what i have quoted.Best of luck.

• Like 1