Coming on Vacation? Question is - Private Villa or Hotel?

Kaymcdonnell

Its the service of course.

A villa with manager and staff is no way 3000 baht a night. Try 10k minimum.

Well i say from 3,000 bht. There are many villas from 3,000 bht a night in low season and from 5,000 bht in High seasons. A lot depends on the length of stay, but 7 days is average as a minimum. Villa managers would clean and change the towels twice weekly and the bed linen once weekly. If the guest wants additional service. then it is all available. Much better than an hotel room?

If they need breakfast, at a cost (like most hotels) it can be provided. I think that most people, just do not think about a villa versus and hotel room.

Compare a 35 SQM hotel room, v villa?

Hotels are definitely not for me. It is a personal choice. I would prefer privacy over service..just as I do at home. A building packed with noisy tourists coming and going...and staff constantly buzzing around....is not my idea of luxury.

Give me a quiet villa, with a nice patio, hammock and garden....away from the noise, please.

• Like 1

Linen changed once a week? Yuk.

That's not great and I'd want clean towels everyday.

You make a good case for renting a hotel, not a villa.

Well if it is a villa there would be lots of towels and a linen basket so you can have clean every day. Linen as stated, changed daily if needed. So please try to see this as positive. I believe i am making a good point and a lot of people simply have just not considered it and they are missing out.

Well if it is a villa there would be lots of towels and a linen basket so you can have clean every day. Linen as stated, changed daily if needed. So please try to see this as positive. I believe i am making a good point and a lot of people simply have just not considered it and they are missing out.

I understand your point but I answered your question. It's about service and amenities.

Some people prefer room service and 24 hour concierge.

Want those things with a villa and you'll pay 10k plus per night. Correct?

Security, transport are other factors.

I understand your point but I answered your question. It's about service and amenities.

Well the price obviously depends on the quality of the villa, same like hotel room etc. The 24 hours concierge i have to agree with, not so simple unless you have in house staff.

In my opinion, i really believe that there are a lot of people that just do not stop and think about this option yet as it is still a growing trade.

Transport.

Transport?

As most villas are far from the actual beach then a hire car is essential, if have kids then best not to rent a m/bike. So it adds to the overall cost.

Understand. Hotels that are on the beach are normally quite expensive. If they have kids depending on age, more hotel rooms. Many property manages these days have access to accommodate transport issues if required and not too expensive. But fair point and appreciate the feedback as i am trying to work on making the experience a more attractive one for guests.

Transport.

Transport?

As most villas are far from the actual beach then a hire car is essential, if have kids then best not to rent a m/bike. So it adds to the overall cost.

Understand. Hotels that are on the beach are normally quite expensive. If they have kids depending on age, more hotel rooms. Many property manages these days have access to accommodate transport issues if required and not too expensive. But fair point and appreciate the feedback as i am trying to work on making the experience a more attractive one for guests.

Well the price obviously depends on the quality of the villa, same like hotel room etc. The 24 hours concierge i have to agree with, not so simple unless you have in house staff.

In my opinion, i really believe that there are a lot of people that just do not stop and think about this option yet as it is still a growing trend.

In my opinion, i really believe that there are a lot of people that just do not stop and think about this option yet as it is still a growing trade.

Transport.

Transport?

I agree with GiantFan.

I have been seeing it in Patong for some time now, and have even asked some tourists why they chose Patong, over other nicer beaches to stay at.

Answer: TRANSPORT - they can walk to most things and do not have to deal with the tuk-tuks.

A few have even said they are happy to pay more for accommodation, which actually saves them money on transport.

From Kata/Karon, given it's 400 baht into the nightlife, and 800 baht back to their hotel at 2am, they would rather spend thousands of extra baht for accommodation for their holiday, and be able to walk to their night out, and home again.

Edited by NamKangMan

Don't forget security Kay. That's on top of most peoples list.

I had friends who came and rented a villa in Naiharn, got broken into and they felt violated.

Now they in a box at boathouse for 12k a night but feel safe in the hotel.

Well I have been lucky and not had any issues with any loss of belongings etc, but yes i understand this.

I make sure all villas have an ample safety deposit box, tightly fixed to the wall. It has been reported that many hotel rooms have been violated by dishonest staff also, but not the norm.

They just have to be more careful and lock up, just like you do at home. It has got to be the better option for more peace and quiet and space and privacy.

These are all points that i will in future address in my marketing as they are very good points.

Transport.

Transport?

"Many property manages these days have access to accommodate transport issues if required and not too expensive." - I had some friends visit last year.

They were looking at higher end hotels in Kata. One of the hotels on their short list offered 27/7 drop off and pick up from Patong, and probably elsewhere..

They selected this hotel, over the others, purely on their transport service.

• Like 1

Got your point and you are right, this is what people think.

There are lots of villas and private large apartments at very very good prices in Patong. People just do not think about this option, this is my point.

Booking.com

they have been around many years but only promoting hotel rooms. Recently they added villas - it is now starting to grow fast.

Transport.

Transport?

I agree with GiantFan.

I have been seeing it in Patong for some tme now, and have even asked some tourist why they chose Patong, over other nicer beaches to stay at.

Answer: TRANSPORT - they can walk to most things and do not have to deal with the tuk-tuks.

A few have even said they are happy to pay more for accommodation, which actually saves them money on transport.

From Kata/Karon, given it's 400 baht into the nightlife, and 800 baht back to their hotel at 2am, they would rather spend thousands of extra baht for accommodation for their holiday, and be able to walk to their night out, and home again.

For a family Condo/villa makes sense. We normally rent a condo in soi 18 Sukhumvit , 3 bedroom, nice furnishing,30 metres from Sukhumvit,5k a night, cheaper than any hotels family rooms

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

Got your point and you are right, this is what people think.

There are lots of villas and private large apartments at very very good prices in Patong. People just do not think about this option, this is my point.

Booking.com

they have been around many years but only promoting hotel rooms. Recently they added villas - it is now starting to grow fast.

Transport.

Transport?

I agree with GiantFan.

I have been seeing it in Patong for some tme now, and have even asked some tourist why they chose Patong, over other nicer beaches to stay at.

"Got your point and you are right, this is what people think." - I don't think that "this is what people think" - it's a FACT.

Many were stung by transport on their first visit, and now chose a place to stay, near to what they mainly desire for their holiday, to avoid the transport rip off here.

The location of many of the villas still require the regular use of transport, which is what many are trying to avoid.

For a family Cono/villa amkes sense. We normally rent a condo in soi 18 Sukhumvit , 3 bedroom, nice furnishing,30 metres from Sukhumvit,5k a night, cheaper than any hotels family rooms

Yes in the case where the property is in a high density area like Sukumvit, an apartment is much better in my opinion

I am not claiming to be the ultimate traveler, but my wife and I usually take about a "mini trip" each week. In the 4 short years I have been here, I have stayed in 50 (or more) different Thai Hotels. The problem with most of them is the noise and small living space. The cheaper ones suffer from lack of privacy, and the higher priced ones come with all the traffic, bad parking, tourist clutter, etc. There are some that have semi private cottages, but then you get families of locals coming in who love to party all night...in common areas. A "family" would have to rent at least two rooms....with no place to spread out.

Good hotels can be expensive....same as villas. There are some "Condotels" that only advertise in Thai. Actually, some are quite good...and about 8000 to 10000 baht per month (without service). You can elect weekly service, or wash your items yourself...in laundry machines they provide. I stayed in some that had small kitchens, living rooms, computers, two plasma televisions, and friendly staff. The savvy know how to find them. Although not "Villas" they are better and cheaper than many "Tourist Flea traps" I have stayed in...that were more expensive.

Always test the bed for softness, check all the furnishings for damage, and limit your aircon use...as electric is higher. However, for a total of 12,000...per month...you can find an Apartelle/Condotel.. if you look on the sidestreets. Do not forget to connect to the wifi (up in your room) before paying. I got stung bad on this a few times. Internet, for me, is a must. That is where I do my trip planning..maps, restaurants, happenings, reviews, budget, etc.

Villa is the ultimate vacation...hands down. For me. Worth the money if you have it.

Edited by slipperylobster