Change Condo Title Deed from Thai to Foreigner

I want to change ownership of a condo from Thai to Foreigner. Is it as simple as visting the land office with both parties present ? This is just a name swap on the deeds not a purchase.

I know if a buys a condo the money has to seen to come from abroad.

Thanks

Regardless of whether you are selling it or giving it away you will need to pay all the taxes and transfer fees as decided by the Land Office based on their estimation of the value.

You will also need to respect the farang/Thai quota in the building, and present a debt-free certificate from the building.

You will also need to present an FET certificate showing the import of funds from abroad to the value of the appraised price (those who work here, or have special visas, may be able to get around this requirement).

Basically, it's a sale.

You can't change it unless it is in the farang quota, which I doubt is it , because why would a Thai have a condo in the foreign quota condo, doesn't make sense

This depends on the global Thai/farang ratio in the building, not on the individual unit.

Anyone can buy any unit in a building as long as doing so does not put the global ratio above 49/51. If the building ratio is currently under 49/51 then a farang can buy a unit from a Thai (or from a company).

Of course in many buildings a simple rule of thumb is that a farang can buy a unit that is currently owned by a farang but not one owned by a Thai, but that is only a rule of thumb.

You can't change it unless it is in the farang quota, which I doubt is it , because why would a Thai have a condo in the foreign quota condo, doesn't make sense

This depends on the global Thai/farang ratio in the building, not on the individual unit.

Anyone can buy any unit in a building as long as doing so does not put the global ratio above 49/51. If the building ratio is currently under 49/51 then a farang can buy a unit from a Thai (or from a company).

Of course in many buildings a simple rule of thumb is that a farang can buy a unit that is currently owned by a farang but not one owned by a Thai, but that is only a rule of thumb.

I have never seen the ratio change myself...Because the foreign own-able units tend to always carry a higher price so Thai's tend not to buy them

But if for some reason a Thai did buy a unit that was in the foreign allowed quota there is nothing benefiting them to give that up.

I do not think they lose it just by being Thai owners & should they decide to sell they have that many more customers possible.

So my guess is the OP will find the foreign quota for his building full....But good luck to him

Edited by mania

If you manage to get the yellow condo chanote, which is the title deed given to foreigners, you can keep it forever. The transfer from a blue condo chanote (= Thai ownership) to a yellow paper needs the form X.Mas, which has to be filled out at the land office and requires, above all, a specific floor map for the condo juristic person, showing the yellow and blue units.

• Like 1

If you manage to get the yellow condo chanote, which is the title deed given to foreigners, you can keep it forever. The transfer from a blue condo chanote (= Thai ownership) to a yellow paper needs the form X.Mas, which has to be filled out at the land office and requires, above all, a specific floor map for the condo juristic person, showing the yellow and blue units.

Where do you get this stuff from. All Chanotes are Yellow. Please post a picture of a Blue Chanonte

There are Blue house registration books and Yellow house registration books but Chanotes are deeds and are not colored

• Like 2

Clearly, you're doing a sale/purchase of a condo and you're trying to hide it from the authorities. I'm not sure why you're doing this, except you can't prove you've transferred money into Thailand legally, and neither you nor the seller want to pay the taxes involved. I'm sure that this has never been attempted before, and you are much smarter than the folks at the Land Department. Just to give you an idea of how much the tax would be - not that you're interested - Acute Realty has a very accurate online calculator.