Joe Cocker, Grammy-winning singer, dies at age of 70

webfact

Singer Joe Cocker dies at age 70

COLORADO: -- British vocalist Joe Cocker, whose blues-drenched, unfettered performances made him one of the most distinctive rock singers of the late '60s and early '70s, died Dec. 22 in Colorado. He was 70, and had been battling lung cancer.

The Sheffield-born performer blasted onto the international music scene in 1968 with a storming interpretation of the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends." His spasmodic, high-voltage stage style - memorably caricatured by John Belushi on "Saturday Night Live" - instantly turned him into a top concert attraction.

Full story: http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82371027/

-- Chicago Tribune 2014-12-23

• Like 1

That's sad news. Joe Cocker was one of the greatest singers of his era, and one of the very few performers who could do covers of great songs in their own right and actually improve on them. How many people were able to cover Beatles numbers and do them better than the Beatles? Apart from Joe, I would put the number at zero.

As someone already said, thank heavens his music has been recorded for posterity. He was unique.

• Like 2

That's sad news. Joe Cocker was one of the greatest singers of his era, and one of the very few performers who could do covers of great songs in their own right and actually improve on them. How many people were able to cover Beatles numbers and do them better than the Beatles? Apart from Joe, I would put the number at zero.

As someone already said, thank heavens his music has been recorded for posterity. He was unique.

Joe's Help From My Friends is Great -- but maybe put that number at 1: