2014 Tourism revenue from foreign markets misses target

webfact

2014 Tourism revenue from foreign markets misses target

BANGKOK, 24 December 2014 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has admitted that Thailand’s tourism revenue from foreign tourists dropped by 5% compared with 2013 due to the political crisis and economic slowdown this year.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Aranyik said this year’s revenue from foreign tourists was 1.15 trillion baht, slightly below the set target of 1.2 trillion baht. Apart from the political standoff at the beginning of the year, the sluggish economies of Thailand’s main markets such as Russia, Japan and Europe caused tourists to delay their trips to Thailand. However, the revenue from domestic tourists met the target of 700 billion baht, partly due to the government’s tax incentives and the “Returning Happiness to the People” program.

As for next year’s tourism outlook, the governor said he believed Thai tourism in 2015 would improve with expected revenue from foreign tourists of 1.35 trillion baht, increasing by 16%. The revenue from domestic tourists is projected at 800 billion baht, increasing by 14% compared to 2014.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-24 footer_n.gif

More meaningless numbers to justify their jobs at TAT.

Just another ministry that needs reform.

It's so easy to claim all sorts of success with domestic tourism compared to international visitors and of course Thais are so happy these days they go on holiday and spend.

I've asked some of my neighbours about their plans for the New Year holidays and all said IF they go anywhere it will be to visit relatives, no hotels etc involved and it's not regarded as a holiday trip as such.

Domestic tourists? As in hi-so Thais spending 10 hours in traffic before getting to a beach? TAT should have taken into consideration the dead bodies found on tourist islands as an indicator numbers are down. As one poster wisely put it before, 'meaningless numbers.' Maybe TAT could give out a small sack of rice to each leaving tourist, a parting gift courtesy of the rice scheme. It's better than leaving with herpes. whistling.gif

• Like 1

TAT trims 2015 arrival target amid shaky world economy
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Although international and local tourists are set to raise their headcount in the coming year, the Tourism Authority of Thailand has tempered its revenue target from Bt2.2 trillion to Bt2.15 trillion because of the global economic instability.

"As poor results for this year will be seen and the global economic slowdown is expected to continue, we needed to revise our targets," Thawatchai Arunyik, governor of the TAT, said yesterday.

International arrivals are forecast to increase by 13 per cent to 28 million and revenue from foreign visitors by 16 per cent to Bt1.35 trillion next year.

The meltdowns in Russia and Japan will hit departures, but some markets like Asean, Europe, the Americas and the Middle East show potential.

Locals' trips are expected to rise 9 per cent to 151 million trips in 2015, generating a 14-per-cent rise in revenue to Bt800 billion. Improved air access and tax deductions will drive the market.

For this year, the TAT made another adjustment, as it is now aiming at 24.6 million tourists, down from between 25 million and 25.5 million projected early this year, which is a 7-per-cent drop from last year.

Drop in revenue

Revenue from foreign tourists is also expected to decline by 5 per cent to Bt1.15 trillion.

For the domestic market, travellers and revenue will continue growing at 7 per cent from last year. Local travel is projected at 138 million trips and local revenue at Bt700 million.

The TAT plans to run a national tourism campaign with the theme "Discover Thainess". Many activities and events are in the pipeline, including a grand launch next month presided over by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

To boost domestic tourism, the TAT is working with public and private bodies to encourage employees to take more holidays. By law, workers can to take up to 15 days of vacation leave per year, but many organisations fail to respect this right.

During the New Year festive season from December 31 to January 4, 430,000-450,000 foreigners are expected to drop into Thailand and leave behind Bt2.5 billion in revenue. It is hoped that local residents will spend Bt6.8 billion on making 22 million trips.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TAT-trims-2015-arrival-target-amid-shaky-world-eco-30250514.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-24

I think the TAT get a hat and put numbers on paper and pick them out as a game. Just from my observations around Bangkok it seems to be less tourists than I have ever seen. Friends who are in Pattaya are saying the same. I know Hotel owners and they are saying the same. There are far fewer tourists than they have seen before. It is meant to be the high season. I doubt the government will come out and say the numbers are the lowest ever, we have scared many tourists away and if people find out we will blame it on the troubles from the previous years.

• Like 2

More meaningless numbers to justify their jobs at TAT.

Just another ministry that needs reform.

Today's news in the UK:

1. Blows for Osborne as growth revised down and current account deficit soars
  2. ONS says UK economy did less well than initially thought, reducing annual growth rate to third quarter from 3% to 2.6%

Not a symptom that applies to Thai governmental departments only. In most European countries the figures have been downgraded from fantasy levels to realistic observations.

I don't believe a little trouble and a change in government would stop a Russian Tourist. They have experienced enough trouble of there own back home, for this to happen, or to stop them. But this huge drop in the Russian Currency would slow them down Big Time for sure.

Just before I came North a couple of weeks ago I stayed in a hotel in Pattaya for 3 weeks, that caters mostly to Chinese Tourist. It served mostly as a Stop Over Hotel for them for only 1 night or less. I have got to tell you honestly that every day there was at least 6 huge bus loads of Chinese Tourist Arriving, and the same number leaving. One day I counted 10 buses.

Until then I never realized how many Chinese Tourist were going there. But after observation I noticed that they always seem to travel in large groups and seldom did anything on there own. I can only recall a few times when a small group would venture out past the hotel at night. But none during the day to do shopping or go to the beach, or anything else. They all stuck around the small swimming pool at the hotel.

I wonder how many other places are like this in Thailand. That we don't know they are here because of there very nature we don't see them outside of the hotel they stay at. But if there is going to be any new Tourist Growth in Thailand, I am sure it is coming from there.

I ignore TAT's figures too.

2013 AoT BKK figures - 53 million (roughly rounded)

2014 AoT BKK figures - 33 million (roughly rounded)

That's getting close to a 40% reduction - IF it was international, then AoT's revenue dropped by 14 billion THB.

And - interestingly - I was in Ho Chi Minh a few weeks ago - packed full of russian tour groups......

The fact is that due to the problems of travel insurance with Martial law - many tour companies from europe and elsewhere are simply avoiding Thailand.

TAT...hrte's a list of fact's that might tell you "why"the numbers are down.

Body searches and drug tests on foriegners

and if they refuse, just throw said foriegner in jail

and extort their money.

Foriegner trying to cross an intetersection or a roadway

and thai driver hits foreigner, but not the thai's fault,

foreigners fault for trying to cross, foriegner pay fine and repair thai car, or go to jail

and pay fine.

Foriegner travel to resort island for sun and fun,

influnetial family member not like foriegner,

kill foriegner, and blame non thai person, because

we all know "NO THAI" would ever do such a thing.

Double charge foriegner or triple charge,

but thai pay lowest price or pay nothing.

Should i go on TAT....you bunch of moron's!

Edited by Alan653

Dropped by (merely) 5% and expected to increase by (a whopping) 16% for 2015... these guys must be smoking something really potent.

As for reasons for the drop, the sluggsih economies in Russia, Japan and Europe may be one of the reasons but I am sure the negative coverage Thailand is getting plays quite a role too. People are just going elsewhere, me guess. IMO, Thailand can only improve if it realises that it is not really in the bucket list of every traveller in the world.