Train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident in Thailand

webfact

It is important to remember that you are a tourist in a foreign country.

It is also important to remember that you can get killed or injured

very easily by not being careful! I have ridden the trains all around the country and

they are generally safe, at least if you go and sit in your seat, and not try to be

a lookey lou between the cars. RIP to the Dutch fellow, and

my condolences to his family and friends.

Stargeezer

RIP and condolences to the family

What was he doing outside on the stairs when the train was moving?

Why did the train leave when not all passengers were inside?

You have ridden on the train, right?

All sorts of shenanigans going on.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

Maybe a few pics will help with the descriptive?

3rd accident this month?

And the train is still running without any modifications or restrictions to people walking from carriage to carriage as they please?

This is not your usual train service. I have travelled on commuter trains and night sleepers from Bangkok, South to Surat Thani. This line from Thon Buri to Nam Tok is a poorer sister by the seems of things. I can see why. Not really supporting itself. We travelled from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. Then did the section from Kanchanaburi to Nam tok and back in a day. The later being the section that is known as the 'Death Railway'. For 90% of our time on the train we were only in the company of a couple of dozen locals and half a dozen tourists. That is the whole train not just our carriage.

The 10% is when all the tourists get on. do one stretch of elevated section packed onto the train like sardines. Then back onto a coach or mini-bus to be carted off to the next attraction. Sorry to say but most likely to be the Tiger Temple. Package tour can do the war memorial, the railway trip and the drugged Tigers all in one day!

This does very little to pay for the maintenance of the line and upkeep of the rolling stock. The Bridge over the Mae Klong river or Khwae Yai river that is the one people call the Bridge over the River Kwai, is very poorly maintained with obvious rot in the sleepers. I did see a maintenance vehicle check the tracks and wondered how bad it needed to get? Maybe when a train falls in the river they will do something?

Someone asked for pictures, how about a video? It's all there to see. Including me hanging off the train to get a better shot. Yes some will say I am an idiot, I would say I was careful. Lucky I didn't otherwise you all would be talking about me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsLeakk7u0&list=PLD28U3l47mf2aZhoxOAZnRZ-mU9PoNDmt&index=44

• Like 1

3rd accident this month?

And the train is still running without any modifications or restrictions to people walking from carriage to carriage as they please?

This is not your usual train service. I have travelled on commuter trains and night sleepers from Bangkok, South to Surat Thani. This line from Thon Buri to Nam Tok is a poorer sister by the seems of things. I can see why. Not really supporting itself. We travelled from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. Then did the section from Kanchanaburi to Nam tok and back in a day. The later being the section that is known as the 'Death Railway'. For 90% of our time on the train we were only in the company of a couple of dozen locals and half a dozen tourists. That is the whole train not just our carriage.

The 10% is when all the tourists get on. do one stretch of elevated section packed onto the train like sardines. Then back onto a coach or mini-bus to be carted off to the next attraction. Sorry to say but most likely to be the Tiger Temple. Package tour can do the war memorial, the railway trip and the drugged Tigers all in one day!

This does very little to pay for the maintenance of the line and upkeep of the rolling stock. The Bridge over the Mae Klong river or Khwae Yai river that is the one people call the Bridge over the River Kwai, is very poorly maintained with obvious rot in the sleepers. I did see a maintenance vehicle check the tracks and wondered how bad it needed to get? Maybe when a train falls in the river they will do something?

Someone asked for pictures, how about a video? It's all there to see. Including me hanging off the train to get a better shot. Yes some will say I am an idiot, I would say I was careful. Lucky I didn't otherwise you all would be talking about me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsLeakk7u0&list=PLD28U3l47mf2aZhoxOAZnRZ-mU9PoNDmt&index=44

"This line from Thon Buri to Nam Tok is a poorer sister by the seems of things."

I think you mean from Ban Pong Junction to Nam Tok.

The line between Ban Pong & Bang Sue Junct., is heavily used by all north to south traffic.

"This line from Thon Buri to Nam Tok is a poorer sister by the seems of things."

I think you mean from Ban Pong Junction to Nam Tok.

The line between Ban Pong & Bang Sue Junct., is heavily used by all north to south traffic.

No, I meant what I said. We caught the train from Thonburi station in Bangkok.

http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm#Getting_from_Bangkok_to_Kanchanaburi

Well put Carol, however as ratcatcher mentioned it is the line from Ban Pong Junction to Nam Tok. that is poor and not from Bangkok to Ban Pong.

Some photos for you all

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

and for this bigger photo

http://www.pbase.com/win13/image/55251845/original

More of Tracks and Trains are below

http://www.pbase.com/win13/tracks

Win thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Well put Carol, however as ratcatcher mentioned it is the line from Ban Pong Junction to Nam Tok. that is poor and not from Bangkok to Ban Pong.

Well I cannot comment on the train infrastructure. Only the first station listed as the first on the route is Thonburi where we caught the train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok.

When we caught the train back from Kanchanaburi to Thonburi it was the same train that does the rest of the route to Nam Tok and it was five and a half hours late.

Great pictures BTW.

Poor guy, the steps are a dangerous area when the train is moving and lurching about.

It's a great place to sit, watch the world, have a cigarette, but you need to be careful.

The place to sit and watch the world is called a seat. Open doorways are inherently dangerous places to satisfy your addiction.

Poor guy, the steps are a dangerous area when the train is moving and lurching about.

It's a great place to sit, watch the world, have a cigarette, but you need to be careful.

The place to sit and watch the world is called a seat. Open doorways are inherently dangerous places to satisfy your addiction.

I totally agree, mad. I have quit now, hey ho good for me - see how long it lasts.

Last Thai Train trip and all previous times I was a smoker.

On the night sleepers there was a smoking buffet car that closed at 11pm.

You could wonder through to the steps on the normal carriages and sit there for a fag. Doors open all the time of course.

Or the sleeper carriage porter suggested that you smoke in the loo.

We did take a day train from Bangkok to Surat Thani once. Was what I would call a 'multiple unit' cross country thing. Was two -two carriage units, back to back. One air-con, other just fan. Could smoke between them. Was great riding on the footplate. Got a sliver of thai train stuck in my eye. Took a steady hand at the eye hospital to remove it.

Just saying