UBER: Still operating?

Smithwick

No.

But grabtaxi is a good app .

Which puts you with local cab.

Got a promo at the moment.

Why use an illegal cab. If something happens you are <deleted>.

The insurance won't pay out.

Also a black colour inovva. Pulled up next to me opposite the British Embassy.

Taxi sir. I'm a limo.

Yeah right..jog on mate

Absolutely the issue is with uber X .

But it's not cheap either I pay about 220 plus toll way if traffic.

For this journey.

Never had a problem getting a cab outside my place.

If you live deep in the soi then fair enough. However

Pay the security man 20 baht he'll get a cab on his b ike.

The uber black k I suppose is the same as the airport limo service .

That's not cheap either.

Don't forget it's not a fixed price either uber runs a meter built in the iPhone of the driver.so that says 500 baht but could well be loads more .

Also it's on card so you can't see the meter running

Anyone using Twitter look at

@arrestinguber.

There's some funny ones on there.

post-221307-14195699626192_thumb.jpg

Absolutely the issue is with uber X .

But it's not cheap either I pay about 220 plus toll way if traffic.

For this journey.

Never had a problem getting a cab outside my place.

If you live deep in the soi then fair enough. However

Pay the security man 20 baht he'll get a cab on his b ike.

The uber black k I suppose is the same as the airport limo service .

That's not cheap either.

Don't forget it's not a fixed price either uber runs a meter built in the iPhone of the driver.so that says 500 baht but could well be loads more .

Also it's on card so you can't see the meter running

Anyone using Twitter look at

@arrestinguber.

There's some funny ones on there.

According to their website, there are fixed price journeys.

post-25153-0-49496400-1419571749_thumb.j

I used UberX twice on the 24th (the day it was free) and once on the 25th.

Every time it was cheaper (or would have been if it wasn't free) than a regular taxi would be, they picked up at my condo, didn't complain when I needed stuff in the boot, didn't complain when he found out where I was going.

On the 25th I also took a flagged down taxi, he drove for 3 minutes before hitting traffic where he then told us to pay and get out and he u-turned and drove the other way.

Don't get me wrong, I use meter taxis all the time, but it sure is less hassle to use the Uber service.

These taxi apps seem to be designed for those people who are constitutionally unable, even after decades of living in Bangkok, to learn the ropes of dealing with local taxi drivers.

Personally, I see no need for them in a country where, properly handled, taxis are so economical and convenient in any case.

utter twaddle. Uber is for people who want to get somewhere quickly and comfortably.

perhaps you should try and offer an opinion based on experience.

Would thirty years be enough, old boy?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These taxi apps seem to be designed for those people who are constitutionally unable, even after decades of living in Bangkok, to learn the ropes of dealing with local taxi drivers.

Personally, I see no need for them in a country where, properly handled, taxis are so economical and convenient in any case.

utter twaddle. Uber is for people who want to get somewhere quickly and comfortably.

Do you have the experience of using Uber in Bangkok? Because that's what he's asking. He's not asking how long you've used taxis here...

Uber, old boy. How many times have you used uber? That was the point.

Been taking them all week, both X and Black. Got some free xmas gifts too. This has all gone quiet because the right palms have been greased. No one cared for months. The transport bods only intervened because they saw the stock market evaluation news that the company is worth 40bn. Suddenly it was like, "did we get backhanders from these boys"? "Nope!"...Right...

Uber said, "how much"? The cronies said their price and life went on.

Read up on how Tesco got into Thailand.

Corruption is no less rife now than it was post coup.

However, in a place like Pattaya where "metered taxis" by policy do NOT use the meter, ever, GrabTaxi has been a real godsend.

Uber is a godsend for those with a family who need a car that has passed an MOT, has seat belts, doesn't smell like someone has been sleeping in it for a year and is clean. Oh, and a driver who can drive safely.

• Like 1

Uber is a godsend for those with a family who need a car that has passed an MOT, has seat belts, doesn't smell like someone has been sleeping in it for a year and is clean. Oh, and a driver who can drive safely.

You must be very unlucky .

I've never had a problem with cabs in BKK. In 28 years

With my kids or not.

BTW insurance is more important .

If the transport authority has deemed them illegal.

Good luck getting paid out if god forbid anything happens

You must be very unlucky .

I've never had a problem with cabs in BKK. In 28 years

With my kids or not.

BTW insurance is more important .

If the transport authority has deemed them illegal.

Good luck getting paid out if god forbid anything happens

What, they come to your doorstep and pick you up? Put your buggy and bags in the boot for you? Provide water when you're thirsty? UberBlack is not illegal. It's fully insured. I also have personal liability insurance.

Do you let your kids travel without seat belts on?

Good luck getting paid out of a public taxi accident. After 28 years do you really believe you would?

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1

I don't understand all the fuss about Uber. Some people constantly bashing it but never really used it. Its like iPhones vs androids. Some people can afford to use it and some cannot. If you can't afford it then don't use it. If you can then do. It's a matter of personal preferences. No need to bash if you can't afford or you don't want to do use it. Just saying! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Personally I love it. I've used many metered taxis in Bangkok and I have experience more unpleasant trips than pleasant ones. I used Uber in my home country too. Drivers are nice, new cars, smells good, no loud music in the background, drivers rarely speak and never complains no matter how far the distance of where I'm going (as long as its in the city), water ready for me in the car, pick me up in front of my doorstep. It's safe too. I installed another Uber app in my partners phone with the same information as what I have and we can both track down each other's trip (if we are not in the car at the same time) and the car and driver's info. That is pretty awesome for me.

• Like 2

Considering uber has been around for about 8 months, it sou Dr like posturing to me. Your experience of Bangkok taxis 30 years ago is as irrelavent as my 18 years of living in Bangkok and depending on taxis to get around. However I HAVE tried both options at all hours of the day and night. Have you tried uber? Of course not. And don't call me old. I'm 40 and willing to utilize new services if they improve my quality of life.

• Like 1