Former CIB chief and five officers sacked

Lite Beer

Former CIB chief and five officers sacked

12-23-2014-9-44-55-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former commissioner of Central Investigation Bureau Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat Chayapan and his five subordinates were too sacked from the police service retroactively until November 23.

Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuang, the national police chief, signed an order expelling Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat, Pol Maj-Gen Kowit Wongrungroj, Pol Maj-Gen Boonsueb Praithoen, Pol Col Wutthichart Luensukhan, Pol Actin Sub-Lt Surasak Chan-ngao and Pol Acting Sub-Lt Chattarin Laothong from police service.

The six police officers were suspended from duty on November 23 after they were charged with lese majeste, taking bribes and other criminal offences.

The expulsion order was a followup of a screening committee’s ruling that they deserved to be sacked.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-cib-chief-five-officers-sacked

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-27

• Like 1

When are the charges to be heard in court? Are their pension still valid? Or this this going to be another case of forget and forgive?

----------------------

This case goes really high up in the political and financial elite set.

Nothing will be done quickly, those at the top are afraid.

They need time to CTA (Cover Their A- -) from any fallout that it might cause.

Nothing will be done to fast.

I would say, that right now, rats are bailing out from the sinking ship as quickly as they can.

I believe that the matter of so many police and others being moved to "Inactive posts" rather than sacked has something to do with the employment laws in Thailand. It is very difficult to sack ANY personnel after they have served a certain minimum length of time in their employment. It then takes very serious proof of misdemeanour or other before they can actually be dismissed. I MAY be mistaken, there is a first time for everything.

Not questioning the veracity of the accusations--they may (or may not) be true--but I wonder if this more of a political move than a genuine effort to fight to end corruption. Throwing in the LM charge certainly makes it look that way...

• Like 2

Does anyone know if this also means stripped of rank and benefits? In most countries, police charged with corruption would be suspended with or without pay pending a fair trial. Also, what about another ex-cop living overseas who still seems to hold his rank even though he has actually been tried and convicted?

Lot of confusion with my Thai colleagues about this. Some say the usual form is that rank is retained until conviction, others that rank is retained until all avenues of appeal are exhausted (hence the ref to the Thaksinator). For a subcommittee to strip an officer of his rank is very unusual if no formal, internal investigation has been carried out, and I see no mention of such in this case.

I find some of these news sources very unreliable and misleading.

Firstly, the guy was as far as I remember commander of the CSD not the larger CIB.

Secondly, we all know who gave the orders or do we, if not then it is misleading.

Thirdly, Somyot Poompunmuang and his connection to to the Koh Tao case and his connection to the PAD

So much that can't be said and so much that will be assumed by many who don't read Thai or follow Thai politics.

I sympathize with the press as they just CANT tell us the truth.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

Firstly, the guy was as far as I remember commander of the CSD not the larger CIB.

Secondly, we all know who gave the orders or do we, if not then it is misleading.

Thirdly, Somyot Poompunmuang and his connection to to the Koh Tao case and his connection to the PAD

So much that can't be said and so much that will be assumed by many who don't read Thai or follow Thai politics.

Everything refers to him being the head of the CIB.

The photograph doesn't.

Aren't there any positions available in the Inactive Post Department?

No...and there is a l....o....n.....g waiting list to get an inactive position. In fact, there has been a big rise in the number of folks on the waiting list over the last few months--plenty of well qualified individuals and more being identified everyday.

Not questioning the veracity of the accusations--they may (or may not) be true--but I wonder if this more of a political move than a genuine effort to fight to end corruption. Throwing in the LM charge certainly makes it look that way...

reports from outside of Thailand support your suspicions.

• Like 1

The photograph doesn't.

What in the photo says that he's CSD?

the badge om his left arm - กองปราบปราม - Criminal Suppression Division. This Division is the main division of the CIB but the commander of the CIB is not the same as the Commander of the CSD.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A1&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AEyeVMmrIoyXuATx54DICQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1315&bih=649

Does anyone know if this also means stripped of rank and benefits? In most countries, police charged with corruption would be suspended with or without pay pending a fair trial. Also, what about another ex-cop living overseas who still seems to hold his rank even though he has actually been tried and convicted?

Yes but everybody knows, that was a military inspired political Kangaroo Court. completely different to this lot. wai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by oldsailor35