Western New Year In Chiang Mai

camsouth

Edit: UG - is this place a branch of the place near Th. Khao San in Bangkok? Maybe I'm thinking of another place in that area.

There are several branches Of ST in Bangkok, but I was not impressed. I wish it had been a branch of La Monita, which I've heard things about.

I like Salsa Kitchen too, but it is the owner's own unique style of Mexican food.

Miguel's is more like what I was used to in California, but it is more like the burrito you might get in a tiny neighborhood grocery store South of Market, than one of the famous places in the Mission.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Edit: UG - is this place a branch of the place near Th. Khao San in Bangkok? Maybe I'm thinking of another place in that area.

There are several branches Of ST in Bangkok, but I was not impressed. I wish it had been a branch of La Monita, which I've heard things about.

I like Salsa Kitchen too, but it is the owner's own unique style of Mexican food.

Miguel's is more like what I was used to in California, but it is more like the burrito you might get in a tiny neighborhood grocery store South of Market, than one of the famous places in the Mission.

I recently visited the new Sunrise Tacos. The menu looked great. I ordered the enchilada set. 2 enchiladas with sides of rice and refried beans.

My food arrived after around 40 minutes. The plate contained 2 small enchiladas and a few nachos. I showed the waitress the photo and description from the menu which showed and described that it comes with beans and rice. Her explanation was that there had been a party the previous evening and they had run out of rice. She stood next to us grinning. She was asked why she hadn't told us this when we ordered 40 minutes earlier that there was no rice, as I would have ordered a different meal. She carried on grinning. I asked about the missing beans. She said something ridiculous: they are served separately (not according to the menu). 5 minutes later I got the beans. I asked whether I will have to pay for the meal I ordered but didn't receive, she said yes. I asked to speak with her boss. He offered me a 'free' slice of cake and a 20% discount. I explained that if I had wanted a slice of cake, I would have ordered one. I wanted enchiladas, rice and beans, not nachos and not cake. It had become comedic. It was like a scene from fawlty towers.

Edited by Loaded

I recently visited the new Sunrise Tacos. The menu looked great. I ordered the enchilada set. 2 enchiladas with sides of rice and refried beans.

My food arrived after around 40 minutes. The plate contained 2 small enchiladas and a few nachos. I showed the waitress the photo and description from the menu which showed and described that it comes with beans and rice. Her explanation was that there had been a party the previous evening and they had run out of rice. She stood next to us grinning. She was asked why she hadn't told us this when we ordered 40 minutes earlier that there was no rice, as I would have ordered a different meal. She carried on grinning. I asked about the missing beans. She said something ridiculous: they are served separately (not according to the menu). 5 minutes later I got the beans. I asked whether I will have to pay for the meal I ordered but didn't receive, she said yes. I asked to speak with her boss. He offered me a 'free' slice of cake and a 20% discount. I explained that if I had wanted a slice of cake, I would have ordered one. I wanted enchiladas, rice and beans, not nachos and not cake. It had become comedic. It was like a scene from fawlty towers.

Such was my comment about stock photos. In this case, photos from the corporate website. We went in, sat down and looked at the menu. Looked good. Then the food was delivered to the table near us. We looked (as the people at the other table were looking unhappily at what they had just been been served), they looked up at us.... We got up and walked out. Don't know what they were served but didn't look like anything in the photos.

Have you tried the food served by the Thai guy who runs "Tacos Bell" UG?

No. is it worth seeking out?

You'll be surprised. The food he serves is like what you might find on a truck or late night stand in a Mexican neighborhood in Los Angeles. He uses plenty of fresh vegetables and chilies and does carnitas, chorizo (haven't tried it), chicken with green chili, etc. The only problem is that he has become so popular and so busy that it could take some time to get your order in and the wait is long. Lots of Thais queue up and call their friends on their mobiles to get their orders - basically queue jumping. The guy really needs a helper or two.

Don't know what his background is but his Mexican food is certainly the most "authentic" and with all the chili, the least "gringo"...