Man of the year: General Prayut Chan-o-cha

webfact

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Again this is a very shallow logical approach. “Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup [..] insane logic but very very Thai”.

Who or what is Thailand and who or what awarded the title! Can you say that the voters in Thailand have handed it to the General or an interest group that tries to peddle their own political agenda?

Inasmuch as you have handed the insane logic title to all Thai people the General got his award from a minority. Now consider how much value such titles hold coming from minorities.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually JOC you win the 2014 awards for:

- Negative on absolutely everything associated with taking Thailand forward

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. smile.png

You say autocracy, I say pragmatic given the scenario at hand.

Oh please, peace at any price. So willing to trade personal freedoms for oh so little security. This sort of spineless attitude from westerners totally mind boggling.

Oh please, peace at any price. So willing to trade personal freedoms for oh so little security. This sort of spineless attitude from westerners totally mind boggling.

Would you rather the senseless slaughter of innocents on the streets continue? When is enough is enough?

Can you clarify"westerners"?

Are they people who live in westerns (in their minds only) as in cowboys, armed to the teeth and kill anyone in a showdown in the main street?

Redneck US citizens who worship Bill O'Reilly? or Glenn Beck? The good ol boys?

Or people who realise that in some countries there is a balance between rights and responsibilities to maintain a functioning society?

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2

Would you rather the senseless slaughter of innocents on the streets continue? When is enough is enough?

When there is freedom. Benjamin Franklin : https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/140634-those-who-surrender-freedom-for-security-will-not-have-nor

When there is freedom. Benjamin Franklin : https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/140634-those-who-surrender-freedom-for-security-will-not-have-nor

No doubt Ben Franklin was a nice bloke...I didn't read the link.

I don't think old Ben had to deal with terrorists blowing up planes and buildings though. Or as it turns out lately forming a death cult who want to kill everyone in the west.

Times have changed. Read a bit of Darwin....those who survive are the best adapted to change...not the strongest.

Are they people who live in westerns (in their minds only) as in cowboys, armed to the teeth and kill anyone in a showdown in the main street?

Or people who realise that in some countries there is a balance between rights and responsibilities to maintain a functioning society?

A functioning society for whom ? The Thai people elected a Prime Minister. The average Thai person has now been cheated out of taking part in a functioning society. They are now told what they can do without any discussion.

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

To a guy who throw bananas to journashit who already are the biggest suxxers in the world.

He throws bananas at them because they then let him stroke their fur and tug their ears.

I can't wait for the mating season, I am thinking we will be in for a surprise :)

Oh get a bloody grip. 'The senseless slaughter of innocents on the streets'! (Dear God, hyperbole much? huh.png ) faux emotive weasel words. Shame on you. And you're referencing the absolute dregs of what passes for 'Western commentary' speaks volumes about just how truly ignorant you and your ilk are.

BTW. In case you haven't noticed, the term 'some countries' can in no way be ascribed to this, the ThaiLight Zone laugh.png

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Poor reply to a straight up question. But we don't deal with those now do we?

No doubt Ben Franklin was a nice bloke...I didn't read the link.

I don't think old Ben had to deal with terrorists blowing up planes and buildings though. Or as it turns out lately forming a death cult who want to kill everyone in the west.

Times have changed. Read a bit of Darwin....those who survive are the best adapted to change...not the strongest.

Please do not trouble yourself with quotes from people who shaped history. Instead, please keep showering us with your own well thought out wisdom. Also you are exactly kind of person terrorists feed on. So quick to abandon personal freedoms and integrity for a small bit of fleeting security. Terrorists win because people give up everything for what they think is freedom.

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai alt=giggle.gif>

Adolf Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938 and look where he ended up.

I noticed dear leader didn't even get nominated for Man of the Year 2014 so is this just another "Gift" for the people and self acolades

There's always room for one more:

post-171049-0-02377500-1419934997_thumb.

Edited by rickirs

Guardian 3rd Oct -

However, as Thai authorities said they hoped the double killing last month would no longer hamper Thailand’s vital tourism industry, human rights observers said they were suspicious of confessions given apparently without the suspects having access to lawyers.

Police dismissed the worries, saying DNA evidence corroborated the confessions, and that the young Burmese men had chosen to not have legal assistance.

LIES LIES LIES.

Guardian 3rd Oct -

However, as Thai authorities said they hoped the double killing last month would no longer hamper Thailand’s vital tourism industry, human rights observers said they were suspicious of confessions given apparently without the suspects having access to lawyers.

Police dismissed the worries, saying DNA evidence corroborated the confessions, and that the young Burmese men had chosen to not have legal assistance.

LIES LIES LIES.

Somyot said the men had not requested lawyers: “If they had asked for lawyers we would have provided lawyers for them as this is their basic right.”

Isn't it a fundamental responsibility of any police force to make clear any suspects 'basic rights'?

What complete and utter diarrhoea the RTP have fed the media and the world since day one of this tragedy.

At least there is no more political protest, no violence, consumer confidence higher than ever and business getting better which Abihisit and Ying Luck can't achieve.

One. I doubt those outside of Bangkok have consumer confidence. Regardless of the faults of the rice pleadge, farmers are not happy with rice prices today, and they will pay for big projects in the future.

Two, Consumer confidence is not an excuse for quashing freedoms and deposing an elected government.

Your silver lining is nothing less than frivolous

You are WRONG!! I travel a lot to North Eastern of Thailand where my wife family home is. They are indeed very happy with the situation now. Although her parent is not farmer but they knew a lot Of farmers there and they are happy with the money they got from the current govt. Quashing freedom?? Bullshit, we all have full freedom now unless you are a criminal or some corrupted politicians then u felt your freedom have been quashed. Thailand is not really for an elected government until they are all educated that accepting money to vote for someone is wrong. Suit yourself, not happy just leave

• Like 1

At least there is no more political protest, no violence, consumer confidence higher than ever and business getting better which Abihisit and Ying Luck can't achieve.

One. I doubt those outside of Bangkok have consumer confidence. Regardless of the faults of the rice pleadge, farmers are not happy with rice prices today, and they will pay for big projects in the future.

Two, Consumer confidence is not an excuse for quashing freedoms and deposing an elected government.

Your silver lining is nothing less than frivolous

You are WRONG!! I travel a lot to North Eastern of Thailand where my wife family home is. They are indeed very happy with the situation now. Although her parent is not farmer but they knew a lot Of farmers there and they are happy with the money they got from the current govt. Quashing freedom?? Bullshit, we all have full freedom now unless you are a criminal or some corrupted politicians then u felt your freedom have been quashed. Thailand is not really for an elected government until they are all educated that accepting money to vote for someone is wrong. Suit yourself, not happy just leave

if you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear....

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Exactly. For that, and the other achievements, Prayuth certainly deserves the "Man of the Year" award - heck, regardless how you feel about him, you'd have to agree that Prayuth has had the most and the most significant impact on Thailand in 2014.

• Like 2