E'norme - Food Blah but Screen Great

LawrenceChee

There is a stretch along Big C Hang Dong where you find several cafes / restaurants

E'norme which opened last year was always standing there and finally I went a few nights ago ..

Went in a group of 11 with kids and the place has sitting outdoors in a beer garden style / band playing and great parking

We ordered a mix of food - Farang/ Thai

Lagsane

Khao Pad Goong

Pizza

Soft Shell Crabs

Stir Fried Vegetables

Salmon Salad

Ice Cream

Food honestly - 7/10 except for the ice cream although you can hardly go wrong with that :) and the rest was not horrid but just didn't have the oomph taste to make one sigh in enjoyment

Best find is the giant screen for live Barclay football ; parking is easy lots of space to run for the kids and the game played up loud was a great one

My fav along that stretch is still Tong Talay Seafood and the Sheep Cafe that has the chicken rice ...windmill I heard so much negative stuff about it it would probably have to be 2015 :)

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 1

I think your review of L'Enorme was too kind although it's been at least a year since I've been there. I assume the "sheep" cafe you're referring to is Aries. I like their tea made cappuccino style. There's a Chinese restaurant on that street named Hoi Tian something. The chef used to be head chef at some prestigious Bangkok hotel but thought he would retire to Chiang Mai. At any rate there are lots of great dishes there such as Fukien noodles, Oyster omelets, fried rice, cold soy sauce chicken. There are also some strange dishes like pork in red wine sauce which, to my taste, is unbearably sweet. Maybe some things don't translate well to Western palates. Here are the GPS coordinates:

18.749105, 98.942746

The coordinate may be off by a few meters.

I think your review of L'Enorme was too kind although it's been at least a year since I've been there. I assume the "sheep" cafe you're referring to is Aries. I like their tea made cappuccino style. There's a Chinese restaurant on that street named Hoi Tian something. The chef used to be head chef at some prestigious Bangkok hotel but thought he would retire to Chiang Mai. At any rate there are lots of great dishes there such as Fukien noodles, Oyster omelets, fried rice, cold soy sauce chicken. There are also some strange dishes like pork in red wine sauce which, to my taste, is unbearably sweet. Maybe some things don't translate well to Western palates. Here are the GPS coordinates:

18.749105, 98.942746

It's call Tong Talay in Thai and directly opposite the Serene Lake Moobaan which is made up of 7 towers hard to miss

When I went the place was small and have gradually expanded to the 2 storey place and it's still full

Chef worked in both Malaysia and Bangkok and probably explains why the seafood is tad different and really really good ...that place gets 9/10 from me

They have seasonal seafood and I had Alaskan crabs there and while pricey was really good for the distance it has traveled to be here on Chiang Mai

18.749105, 98.942746

It's call Tong Talay in Thai and directly opposite the Serene Lake Moobaan which is made up of 7 towers hard to miss

When I went the place was small and have gradually expanded to the 2 storey place and it's still full

Chef worked in both Malaysia and Bangkok and probably explains why the seafood is tad different and really really good ...that place gets 9/10 from me

They have seasonal seafood and I had Alaskan crabs there and while pricey was really good for the distance it has traveled to be here on Chiang Mai

To me it sounds more like the restaurant almost at the intersection of the canal road. I don't recall a chef from Bangkok at Tong Talay... could be, but I don't recall that. There are pictures of the chef (owner?) of the restaurant near the canal road like pictures of "famous" chefs in many restaurants. My wife says the name of that restaurant is Hoi Tian Leaw (my phonetic spelling), so I still think that is the restaurant quidnunc is referring to.

Edited by hml367

You and I must have a different grading system. 7 out of 10 sounds pretty good to me. In fact, If I'm comparing to food back in the West, 7 is about what I rate even the best foreign restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I agree. Look at movie reviews...Gone With The Wind gets an 8.2, Patton is an 8, and won 7 Oscars. A "7" is usually very good. Below 6.5 is a waste of time. So, when people give food a "7" and go on to say it was lacking; it is puzzling.

You and I must have a different grading system. 7 out of 10 sounds pretty good to me. In fact, If I'm comparing to food back in the West, 7 is about what I rate even the best foreign restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I agree. Look at movie reviews...Gone With The Wind gets an 8.2, Patton is an 8, and won 7 Oscars. A "7" is usually very good. Below 6.5 is a waste of time. So, when people give food a "7" and go on to say it was lacking; it is puzzling.

Guess I must be really picky ....places that get

7/10 - Means something is good but I won't hurry back ; for Enorme it's the giant screen for live sports events ...as I say here the food is not horrid but it doesn't get me excited

8/10 - I would go back at least once a month as the dishes are top notch

9/10 - 10/10 - you see me there at least once a week as the food is really really good :)

^ I have heard this before so although I live close by I have not been, there are other good restaurants on that strip,including the new Goodview, the Windmill changed it's menu about a year ago, they cut out everything I liked, I used to go at least once a month, now they have lost my patronage for good