Electronics Tariff When Shipping to Thailand (about USD1500)

jackforest

Hello!! I want to buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and in Thailand, I have seen online shopping malls inside Thailand selling the product such as BananaIT and ITcity. But, I found out that these sites do not support English, and I do not know Thai, and I also did not want the keyboard to have a Thai-English layout. So I've been wondering if I could order the tablet on Amazon or eBay, and ship it directly to Thailand, how much would the tariff cost, and would it be worth the extra cost to buy the tablet on Amazon or eBay rather than BananaIT or ITcity? (Amazon=$ without shipping cost, BananaIT=35500 Bht without shipping cost) (it's the i5 128GB version)

**Sorry about the misleading title**

Edited by jackforest

If you order it directly from Amazon using their international shipping they'll try to use FedEx or other shipping company that will definitely get the +30% taxes and fees for the government.

Others ship through the postal system and you may or may not get slapped with the same charge.

I'm not sure if the system on Amazon is 960 or 1500....but either way if you get hit with the +30% fees it just isn't worth it IMHO. Even without that, for me I'd just drop the money at the local store for the instant satisfaction of having it.

• Like 2

Correctly declared, a tablet computer like a Surface Pro doesn't attract any duty. Only VAT at 7% on the CIF value. I have imported several from the US and have had no problems. However I am using a re-shipping service where I am able to consolidate several shipments into one which reduces the shipping cost considerably.

If just a single unit like the i5/4GB/128GB model, it probably isn't worth the hassle importing yourself. They are hot items on ebay so no bargains to be had unless you're prepared to take a risk and buy something with a minor defect. The cheapest Amazon price in the US is around THB30k so compared to the Thai price of THB35k that only leaves 5k for shipping and VAT.

Banana and IT City are the only official suppliers of SP's in Thailand. Lazada offer them too but the prices look about the same. If you buy in Thailand you will get the SEA version which has localised language options but that includes English so won't be an issue. In any case there is nothing stopping you doing a complete re-install of Win 8.1 if you prefer the US version.

The "Type Cover" price is rather steep in Thailand at approx THB4500. You can find new "open box" US versions on ebay as low as USD80 but very few of those sellers will offer shipping to Thailand and if they do the cost will be too high. Perhaps if you have someone in the US you can have it shipped to then get it mailed to you here via regular mail. That way you will get a US keyboard and save some money too.

Microsoft offer a worldwide warranty which is tied to the device, not the purchaser so there are no issues with warranty wherever you buy.

• Like 1

Thai customs and taxes love electronics and will nail them to the max especially if incoming by FedEx...... and Amazon.com will not play with the cost declaration. Besides these Thai boys now look products up on Web and nail you to the wall. I know for sure, wow, what a hit.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

If you have it delivered to a Thai name in stead of your foreign name you lower the chance of having to pay taxes.

If I get something delivered by courier I use my wife's name.

With orders from ebay, normally smaller items that are sent by regular mail I never had to pay tax until now also in my own name.

Just checked Amazon web site and they won't ship it to Thailand.

Some stuff will ship, it's hit or miss. I ordered some LED grow lights last month and they were delivered by normal post.

Import duty is hit or miss too. I was not charged anything for the lights and some Jeep parts I ordered around the same time. Last year I ordered the same parts for the Jeep and was hit with 2000 baht duty.

Edited by maswov

Just go to Apple website, Click on MacBookPro. No extra charges, Shipped FedEx. I did this last year for the GF's xmas present.

No problem. Yes more money, Better machine anyway. I do recognize that is an opinion though :-)

Edited by mbbnyc

Importing in general....

There is a great site in the US called iherb

They have low prices on various foods, toiletries, etc.

Would I be charged tax of some kind if I was to have a box of various items shipped to me?

TIA,

Charlie

Only use USPS priority international shipping. ALL other forms of shipping compel an inspection, and result in duty. You might want to have it shipped to a friend in the US, and then have them ship to you as such. That is what I do, and I rarely pay duty. Denying the customs rats their share is about as great a joy as my life provides! Also, keep in mind when they do charge duty, they also charge 36% of the shipping charges! What a racket!

I only use the US postal service for delivery to TH from the US. Never an issue with inspection and I have never been charged either an import duty or VAT. However import duties do often

Good luck.apply and this website can give you a good idea what those duties would be. http://www.dutycalculator.com

Amazon is inconsistent with what tech products will ship or not ship to TH. I wouldn't worry about the TH / English keyboard. I've had two and never "see" the Thai symbols.

However, I almost always purchase at a local store of online at Lazada because I want it now and the prices are more or less comparable.

Good luck.

Just like most of their things, I can't even get past the sign on bit on their website, had been using the same e-mail address and password for years, they said 'wrong password', absolute <deleted>, last week I changed the password, got on ok, and now this week, I am told my new password is wrong. What a shower of incompetents.

As already stated, do not use FEDEX or UPS as you will many issues including high taxes etc.

I have had items sent from USA BY NORMAL US mail with tracking, but really the best way is toget a friend to purchase for you and post it to you.

lazada.co.th have the tablet you asking for, price is 35.400.- bath, free delivery in Thailand.

You need to buy a separate keyboard with only english letters, price: 4590,- bath

Tablet:

Microsoft Surface Pro3 128GB Core i5 Cmmr SC Thai Thailand Hdwr (QF2-00013)

Keyboard:

Microsoft Surface Type Cover 3 Cmmr SC Thai Hdwr Black (RF2-00077) - Black

I buy all electronic from this company and pay cash money on delivery, never had any problems so far.

Edited by bander

Some stuff will ship, it's hit or miss. I ordered some LED grow lights last month and they were delivered by normal post.

Import duty is hit or miss too. I was not charged anything for the lights and some Jeep parts I ordered around the same time. Last year I ordered the same parts for the Jeep and was hit with 2000 baht duty.

I was replying about the item the OP wanted. Not in general.

I've shipped several laptops from Amazon US to Thailand because I could not find similar specs/price in Thailand. Things to note:

1. Amazon doesn't ship computer parts internationally, so you need a local US reshipping agent set up. Choose one in a tax free zone to save on local US taxes, if one still exists, I haven't tried in past 24 months.

2. If you use Fedex from the local US shipping agent as I like to, and declare import price for Thai customs clearance, Fedex in Thailand will charge 7% as outlined on the Fedex web site. The Fedex shipping fee will be around 125USD, so only worthwhile if expensive computer equipment.

3. If there is anything wrong with your Amazon product on delivery (happened to me once) they will replace it free of charge within a month, but you need all the correct documents to return the item and get thro by courier the US customs for computer parts with radios.

4. In each case it took about 4-5 days from buying on Amazon to arriving at my home in Thailand.

Hi mate,

I bought my Surface from Banana IT.

The keyboard I bought in my home home country direct from Microsoft. If you buy it direct from MS it is available in red color which look really nice.

Only MS offer the keyboard in red color.

Cheers

If you are "sorry about the misleading title" why do it in the first place ... or why not change it.

I don't think I can change the title of the thread... or maybe I'm just so blind that I don't see the [edit] button for the title...

You only get one shot at the title (no editing) so check before you hit 'post'.