PM pushes ahead with bike route development on Rattanakosin Island

Lite Beer

PM pushes ahead with bike route development on Rattanakosin Island

BANGKOK, 2 January 2015 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed confidence that the project to develop bicycle routes in the historic area of Bangkok will help promote happiness among residents.

In his weekly address to the public on television, Gen Prayut spoke of the government’s newly-launched project on the development of bike routes throughout Rattanakosin Island as a New Year present for the people. He said its objective is to encourage more Thais to turn to riding bicycles instead of driving, which would help alleviate traffic and pollution problems as well as promote tourism in the ancient quarter of the capital.

Initially, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has made improvements to 12 existing bike routes totaling 8 kilometers. In the second phase, the works will be carried out within this year on another five routes with a combined distance of 10 kilometers.

At present, there are 31 official bicycle courses within Bangkok. The government has a plan to open new ones on the Thon Buri side of the Chao Phraya River as well as many other areas across the city.

Nonetheless, Prime Minister Prayut admitted that the construction and landscaping works could cause troubles to some people. He said he would like to ask them to be patient and think of the public interest, assuring that this project will change the community for the better and bring happiness to the residents.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-02 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't understand why the PM become an vocal advocate and a crusader for bike routes?

is there no other person he can trust with such 'important task'?

Why as PM of a country that needs his absolute attentions to a myriads of there, more important

and urgent issues to solve is wasting his time with this trivial concern?

You would think that the Un elected minister for transport , the un elected Sport& Recreation Minister or the unelected minister for road trauma would handle the lycra brigade dreams, plus Prayut-O would look good in Lycra.cheesy.gif

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed confidence that the project to develop bicycle routes in the historic area of Bangkok will help promote happiness among residents."

Well, we won't have to wait for the holidays to see an increase fatalities. The drunk drivers will be mowing down the cyclists on a regular basis. Especially if there are signs with rules along the routes for them to ignore.w00t.gif

The 'PM' spoke of a 10 K bike route during his address. I love bike lanes, but how is this small project going to be of interest to the Thai people? Did he mention the catastrophic road death toll, and what he is going to do about it?

I wonder if he would consider small upgrades to the paths that exist along many canals as they are direct and good for commuters.I have ridden many and only a few obstacles steps and bridges .They exist and are not used by many .Downside is can get a little smelly ..

I don't understand why the PM become an vocal advocate and a crusader for bike routes?

is there no other person he can trust with such 'important task'?

Why as PM of a country that needs his absolute attentions to a myriads of there, more important

and urgent issues to solve is wasting his time with this trivial concern?

Precisely. The country is going to hell in a basket economically and the global media is almost daily printing a mix of ridicule and dreary dismay (the NYT estimated two days back that the good general has cost the people of Thailand $15bln since May) and we have more hands on bike lanes, plans for a morality committee and more.

Country urgently needs a leader ....

Edited by Snig27

the relaunched, refurbished and extended cycle lane in banglampu is popular - now with bollards screwed into the road to stop people parking in it which is what made its previously unusable.

unfortunately in quite a few places the tarmac is deeply rutted or potholed which is dangerous for cyclists. some money could have been spent levelling the cycle lane surface.

apart from that so far so good but i'd never cycle in this city

There is a nice green cycle lane near Swampy which is used quite a lot and is very civilised. of course the section which looks so nice is separated from the traffic and therefore usable. It is actually quite impressive and must be handy for workers.

Good to see the middle class and elite happy with another new toy!

I'm sure the peasants are very thankful for his kind gesture!

Odd that someone wouldn't like the idea of more bike lanes. You just can't win on this forum.

I agree. So much tedious cynicism, I am logging on much less these days. I scan the headlines and delete.

Pitty, because this could be a better place.

For all that there is not an actual democracy in place at the moment. PM Prayuth's position is not exactly without support. Millions were begging him to step in when Thaksin's mugs were shooting up the place. He stopped it.

For Heaven's sake, he has done heaps, and the bike lane project is another step in the right direction. There are very few cities in the USA with bike lanes, and virtually none with a public transport system as expansive and effective as that in Bangkok.

Bike lanes? For the PM, it is "Damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't".

To the cynics on TV., take a holiday from here, and go get a life.

• Like 1

Odd that someone wouldn't like the idea of more bike lanes. You just can't win on this forum.

I agree. So much tedious cynicism, I am logging on much less these days. I scan the headlines and delete.

For all that there is not an actual democracy in place at the moment. PM Prayuth's position is not exactly without support. Millions were begging him to step in when Thaksin's mugs were shooting up the place. He stopped it.

For Heaven's sake, he has done heaps, and the bike lane project is another step in the right direction. There are very few cities in the USA with bike lanes, and virtually none with a public transport system as expansive and effective as that in Bangkok.

take a holiday from here, and go get a life.

We wish he would

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed confidence that the project to develop bicycle routes in the historic area of Bangkok will help promote happiness among residents."

Well, we won't have to wait for the holidays to see an increase fatalities. The drunk drivers will be mowing down the cyclists on a regular basis. Especially if there are signs with rules along the routes for them to ignore.w00t.gif

Not if they adopted something like the concept of London's elevated bicycle lanes

http://www.psfk.com/2014/01/london-elevated-bike-lane.html

Well said, technikalll - well said. I wholeheartedly support everything you just said.

... Except I would use different words to address these cynics, if I were allowed to.

• Like 1