Do I Need A Double Divorce?

owenm

My ex-wife is from Korat area. We married in Australia about 7 years ago after initially meeting in LOS, and had a second traditional Thai ceremony two weeks later with 9 monks and half the village there. The original wedding docs from Australia were translated to Thai and the marriage was officially registered at the local amphur.

Two years ago we seperate while still in OZ and she returned home to Thailand 15 months ago. My step-daughter, 12 yo was sent back while we were separated under the same roof.

In June last year, I returned back to Thailand and spent time with the step-daughter and in-laws. My wife, still married to me then, wanted a divorce, which was arranged through the local amphur, as all the original docs had been registered there, and were on file. Myself and my wife were present, along with two Thai witnesses, including a sobbing mother-in-law. Initially we both had to make several trips there, as the wife didn't have all of her required documents, house book, birth certificate etc. I had original Wedding Registry certificate and birth certificate, both translated to Thai, but they were already on file at amphur anyway.

The divorce was official after 30-45 minutes, at no charge at all. I was amazed, no fee to pay. The Divorce Certificate was translated to English elsewhere at a cost of about Bt500, and then sent to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, a wait of about 4 weeks, and at a cost of about Bt30,000 for their endorsement, signed and stamped. This was how much the Ex said, and was paid to her to arrange. Mind you, no receipt at all supplied. A settlement had previously been discussed and arranged prior to my returning to Thailand. The Ex got a new car, and I paid a years schooling fees and extras in a private school for my stepdaughter who is still my daughter in my eyes, and I'm her daddy in hers. We still talk weekly on the phone. The love and bond is not broken.

We had no children together.

How legal is my divorce as far as Australia goes? I know marriages are legal worldwide, but considering there were no children involved, is my divorce also legal as far as Australia would be concerned?

Two issues I'm concerned with. If I'm foolish enough to remarry, I don't want to be a bigamist under Australian law. Secondly I don't want to see a possibility of my future superannuation for retirement being at risk from the ex. She has a constant trait of bring very deceitful and lying constantly.

Can I register the Divorce Certificate at the Australian Embassy when I return in May /June this year, about 12 months after the divorce date?

This is when I'm applying for my O-A Retirement.

Or can I simply register the Divorce in Australia as already being final?

Or should I pay a lawyer in Family Law in Australia to make it official? Usual procedure to apply for a Divorce in Australia as a solo application is to have copies of the application sent to my ex for her to refute, and possibly ask for a greater settlement before grant of a divorce.

I thought if this went to TV lawyer that I'd receive a one sentence answer. This answer requires somewhat more detail based on past experience.

Surely there must be some TV reader who has experience in the above.

I would really appreciate your feedback based on experience, not on guess work please guys.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

Get that divorce registered in Australia as soon as you can......If you dont... kiss your savings goodby at a later date...You can do this yourself at the registry office.

BUT thats all i know and can advise on this....others can explain better on here.

Good luck with it and dont waste time doing it.......If you do, the do gooders will have a field day with you in Australia...

Edited by weegee
  • Like 2

You will have to translate the Thai divorce certificate into English by a recognized (by your embassy) translation office; those translation has to be certified by your embassy. This final document should be given to your Public service department at your hometowwn (OZ). They will act it and then everything will be complete. Good Luck...

Yes the Divorce Certificate was translated to English by an authorised translation service, and certified, original Thai copy and English translation copy, affixed to each other and certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK. Would these suffice for OZ or will they still need to be certified by Australian Embassy in BKK prior to lodgement in OZ. And is there a time frame to submit

I don't get it Why register with the Department of Foreign affairs To what end.

I didn't just want a Thai copy of the divorce, but a certified English translated copy recognised by the Thai government as legal. The amphur suggested having it endorsed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. This must be the usual process.

Owenm, dept foreign affairs is where u get things motorized & it makes it an official Aust registered document. However to be 100% sure go to the embassy in Bangkok & ask, very simple & straight from the horses mouth, there is even an email address on the Aust website .and best part the advice is free. Hope this helps