Thai Citizenship For Mexican American Baby

danalee

hello all,

im new to this but i need some help. my husband is mexican and i am from the states. we have been living and working in honduras where our first child was born. i am happily pregnant with the second and we are getting ready to move to phuket. it is all very exciting. will our child, born in thailand, automatically be a thai citizen even though his/her parent's are not thai?? and i have heard the hospitals in phuket are great... anyone know the birth experience is like there? and the costs?

thanks!

I can't speak about the hospital quality, but your child will not recieve Thai Citizenship. You can register you childs birth at the US Embassy, using the birth certificate you will recieve at the hospital. I would imagine you can do the same at the Mexican embassy.

Thats an interesting case! Of course, the child cannot be Thai. It sounds like you will have a choice between the child being a gringo or a Mexicano. I think dual citizenship is possible, and of course you should contact both embassies. There is a new site about these issues now: http://mxvisa.com

Edited by Thaiquila

thanks for the replies. yes, i know my baby will be able to have dual citizenship, (mexicano and gringo), but i was unsure how thai citizenship worked. for example, my first born is mexican, american, (bec of his parents citizenship), and honduran purely bec he was born in honduras. but it doesnt work the same in thailand???

thanks for the replies. yes, i know my baby will be able to have dual citizenship, (mexicano and gringo), but i was unsure how thai citizenship worked. for example, my first born is mexican, american, (bec of his parents citizenship), and honduran purely bec he was born in honduras. but it doesnt work the same in thailand???

No, one parent must be Thai.

I beleive that any foreign children residing in Thailand do not require visas up to the age of 14, You may want to confirm this with immigration when you arrive & get something in writing :o

My friends 2 and 6 yr olds have their own passports and need visas. They were previously on her passport but then she had to take them with her whenever she left the country.

But then it MIGHT depend on the passport they have??

Make sure you do your homework.

So a friend had her kids on her passport. Her husband is German, and upon removing them from her passport they were issued (while in thailand) German passports. Thai immigration just about refused to acknowledge their german citizenship, and requested she provide them with written information from her country embassy stating that their citizenship had revoked. Which of course she has refused because there is no law in either of their countries saying the children can not hold dual citizenship.

So, thai immigration, the main center, downtown, informed her that she needs to do border crossing vsa runs with her kids if she wants to keep them WITH HER and her husband, while in thailand.

ok, interesting. so, can baby get residency, papers, own land? anything? or he/she will be just another tourist enjoying thailand...
No, señora, no es verdad. Without Thai citizenship, it is extremely difficult for a foreigner (especially a norteamericano) to own land, become a permanent resident, etc. Not a tourist, but a non-immigrant. Actually, Mexico has categories like "no inmigrante" "inmigrante" and "inmigrado," and Thailand has categories of non-immigrant.

The baby will not be Thai ,as one parent need to be Thai.

There is always a lot of discussion as to what age or from which age onwards they need visa etc.

Of course it's better when all documents are always in order , but at least until the age of 7 years they will not be charged with Overstay .

Best is to get them separate passports from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

How come in Mexico, expats don't talk about "visa runs" like they do in Thailand? One of those mysteries of life, like in the US we have the "west coast" and the "eastern seaboard". Why not a western seaboard?

Edited by Thaiquila

How come in Mexico, expats don't talk about "visa runs" like they do in Thailand? One of those mysteries of life, like in the US we have the "west coast" and the "eastern seaboard". Why not a western seaboard?

yeah, after much research i can't believe how rigid the visa pilocy seems to be in thailand. For the Citizens of the World, this sucks!!

The reason there are no "visa runs" in mexico is bec everyone there has a price, if you know what i mean. at least that has been my husband and my experience...