Sony WD ELEMENTS 1 TB HARDDISK 1000 GB

JustAnotherFarang

hi guys

I have a ps 4 system and have managed to fill up the 500gb hard drive with games already. Seen that they are selling a Sony WD Elements 1tb external hardisk on Lazada for 2,900 bht. My question is can I plug this into my ps4 as an external drive and run games from it or would I need to disassemble it and fit it inside.

Many thanks

JAF

I think the PS4 only supports game saves with a USB hard drive . U need to swap it over with the 500gb inside the Ps4 . take a look at this first http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

Thanks Daniel that makes interesting reading. I had a look on Lazada and seen this drive :-

http://www.lazada.co.th/seagate-new-backup-plus-slim-2tb-usb-30-red-stdr2000303-181343.html

Seems to have a similar id number and its fairly priced so iof this is the drive I will buy it and install it in my PS4

Also seen this 3tb drive for a little more money

http://www.lazada.co.th/seagate-expansion-hde-30-tb-35-usb-30-black-313164.html

Cheers

JAF

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

I think the PS4 only supports game saves with a USB hard drive . U need to swap it over with the 500gb inside the Ps4 . take a look at this first http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

Thanks Daniel that makes interesting reading. I had a look on Lazada and seen this drive :-

http://www.lazada.co.th/seagate-new-backup-plus-slim-2tb-usb-30-red-stdr2000303-181343.html

Seems to have a similar id number and its fairly priced so iof this is the drive I will buy it and install it in my PS4

Also seen this 3tb drive for a little more money

http://www.lazada.co.th/seagate-expansion-hde-30-tb-35-usb-30-black-313164.html

Cheers

JAF

Your welcome .

I might pick up a 2tb drive myself . Since I've been in Thailand I have bought most of my games digital and my hd is fast filling up.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69429669

Judging by what this guy says it can take upto 6TB drives albeit externally. I want to keep the drive within the ps4 case so the 2tb drive on Lazada is ideal and a perfect match. But for a small price increase, the 3TB dive would be great, just need to find out if I can fit it in internally.

JAF

Cheers MoD

I overlooked that so thanks for the heads up. I checked out Invade IT and as much as I appreciate their customer service, Lazadas prices are hard to beat. Today they have a 10 per cent off offer which makes the 2tb drive shown here ( http://www.lazada.co...303-181343.html ) to be approx 3500 bht. Think I will order this and let you know how I go on.

JAF

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

I am having a little trouble locating this Seagate 2 tb drive model number STBX2000401. I have seen similar specced drives but with different model numbers and I have read that some of these other drives do not work with the PS4.

Has anyone seen one of these on their internet travels in Thailand

JAF

• 1 month later...

Why would you buy a external drive and then dismantle it, rather than just buy an internal drive in the first place?

Take out the 500 gb drive from the ps4, replace it with the 2gb drive and then put the old 500 gb drive back into the casing to use as an external drive on my pc

JAF

There is no guarantee a hard disk from a external drive case like a WD Elements will work in another device. The connections are not always exactly the same. Back when the 2011 floods disrupted the supply of hard drives, many people bought external drives just to rip out the drive only to find out they couldn't always install it elsewhere.

If you want to do this then better to buy a separate external case (250-800 baht), and a separate internal hard disk. You should find it easier to get a standard internal drive that works in both rather than swapping out from an off the shelf external drive. Remember to also check that the thickness of the replacement drive is compatible, especially if you want a 2TB size.

• Like 1

I know I need a drive that is 9.5" high and there lies the problem I am encountering. There are so many external 2.5 inch drives available on Lazada and the prices are good but knowing the size of the drive inside the casing is proving to be a stumbling block. Thats why I am asking on this forum to see if any members with a ps4 have bought and successfully installed a drive. 1tb to 2 tb will be fine for me.

JAF

I still think you are going about it the wrong way. The drives inside external cases are not constant. Back to the floods and there were threads on other forums where people with the same brand external drive were finding different model number disks inside when they broke them open, some with connectors that did not mesh with their laptop or desktop.

Buy an internal notebook drive. Most 2TB are 9.5mm but the size will be indicated on the manufacturers website or Amazon etc. 1TB are mostly 7mm now but not all.

When you take out your existing drive it is a two minute job at most to house it in a generic external case.

One other thing. If you buy a brand name external drive like WD, soon as you open it you void the warranty. If it turns out it has the wrong connector you can't return it, and off the shelf external drives are not always easy to open without damaging the case a bit anyway.

If you are concerned about pricing then check out JIB. Shops all over Thailand and their prices are usually competitive with online sellers. They also do online orders.

• Like 1

I checked with JIB but they had nothing much to offer. Also checked with Invade IT and they had 2 drives but one of them was a SSD which was over 4,500 bht for 1TB.

But I have been researching this and it appears that some external Seagate drives contain a Seagate Momentus Spinpoint drive inside and this is ideal. But now I need to know which of the drives available in Thailand contain this drive

I am getting close but still no cigar

JAF

Yes I did see this drive, which is cheaper from InvadeIT but seeing as games on the PS4 are getting bigger and the fact that I am a PSN member I think that 1tb is not suitable for my growing library of games. So now I am looking for a 2tb drive and this is where I am encountering the problem. They do not have any bare 2tb drives but there is an abundance of external 2.5 sata 3 drives available which are actually cheaper such as this one:-

http://www.lazada.co.th/seagate-hd-ext-25-2tb-new-backup-plus-stdr2000302-blue-213251.html

I have read that inside some models there is a Seagate Samsung Momentus Spinpoint drive and that all you have to do is pry open the case and remove the usb 3 connector. But all the drives that I know do contain this drive and removable connector are not available in Thailand. These are the models that I know will work:-

Seagate Expansion STBX2000401 2TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB Portable Hard Drive STDR2000101

There is also a Seagate "301" series which is suitable but all I can find is the "302" series and I am not sure if this will be compatible

Thanks for your advice

JAF

Why would you buy a external drive and then dismantle it, rather than just buy an internal drive in the first place?

External drives are often priced a lot cheaper (20-30%) than bare internal drives. This is a worldwide phenomenon, strange but true.

Also when your 1 year warranty for the external drive expires, the bare HD usually has a 3 year manufacturer warranty printed on it.

Good news

I got the drive today and opened it with my finger nails in less than 30 seconds. Inside was the Momentus Spinpoint 2gb drive which was easily removed from the case and after gently pulling off the usb 3 connector I can now put it inside my ps4. Will update again once I have reinstalled the ps4 software and my games but so far, its looking good.

JAF

Well that was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Installed the new drive in minutes, plugged in the usb with the ps4 software to reinstall and switched it on in safe mode and away it went. Less than 5 minutes later I am re downloading my 500gb of games back onto my new drive.

Happy happy joy joy. No more deleting software off my old drive to fit new games on there. Now I can have all of my library available all of the time

JAF

I upgraded my PS4's HDD to a Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive about a year ago. Changing the drives is really easy and I just transplanted the original PS4 500GB drive into my PS3. To be honest there is barely any performance upgrade that I could test when going from a HDD to a hybrid drive. I would just advise to get a larger standard HDD instead.

I saved all of my game saves to cloud and just re-downloaded all the games I had again which was the longest part of the exercise and re-downloaded all of the save games from the cloud, it was pretty effortless. I'm not sure if you can backup the games to an external drive and copy them back onto the PS4 like you can do with the PS3, I'm pretty sure you cannot which is why I downloaded everything again.

The only thing you need to make sure you get is the larger firmware installation which installs to a clean system.