Phuket Too Dangerous?

NCC1701A

Another silly and off topic response by our (non) resident doom and gloomer.

I find it quite amusing that the biggest twister of facts on the forum would admonish me about them.biggrin.png

My post about Concrete (not cement) trucks was on another thread about a large crash by such a vehicle. I have never stated that Phuket, and indeed Thailand, traffic is anything but dangerous. I have commented on traffic issues numerous times. We all know that the number of road deaths in Thailand are at, or near, the top of the world. So, I made a statement in that other topic, that for me, the scariest vehicles on the roads are the concrete trucks. Nothing to do with the query in this thread.

The OP, whether it was a genuine post or not, acknowledged that Thai traffic was incredibly dangerous. That wasn't the topic of his query. In fact, he expressed concern about Thai, Russian and Police mafia, and wanted to know if he was asking for trouble travelling alone on his motorcycle in Phuket.

Time to compose another negative rant NKM, and then dive into your folder of links to try and find something that vaguely backs up your assertions.

You might be better off just going down to your corner pub for a beer, if it's not raining where you are.biggrin.png

Hardly a "rant" OC.

You have admitted the "traffic" in Thailand is dangerous.

Would you conceed the roads on Phuket are above average for danger, than the rest of Thailand, particularly for tourist areas?

That is, above average in two catergories:

1) accidents

and

2) robberies

It's difficult to gain accurate statisitics for both of these, due to government departments not wishing to tarnish Phuket's image, but going from media reports on this thread, compared to other threads, Phuket has a serious motor vehicle accident nearly on a daily basis. There was another one today.

I'm not sure why you think I do not reside on Phuket. You keep banging on about it. Just because I haven't bought a property here, have a Thai spouse, and a retirement visa, it doesn't mean that I am unable to reside here, like every other expat.

In my opinion, Phuket is a great place, but it's very poorly managed, to the detriment of ALL inhabitants, who deserve better, and no, I do not expect it to be like a western country.

Phuket has the most corrupt, of the corrupt, and the most greedy, of the greedy, and it shows in the infastructure, or lack of, here.

Here's some road accident statistics for you NKM. They're deaths on the roads for the 7 dangerous days over new year.

Phuket is not the worst Province in these statistics, although it is on the high end. http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/01/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2014-2015-in-thailand/

Considering the high numbers of tourists, migrant workers and internal workers who flood into Thailand's smallest province at this time of year, the figures here compare favourably against other less populated places.

Robberies. No stats easily found. But yes, Phuket does seem high, particularly if your only reference points are this forum and the various local newspapers/blogs.

Higher than Pattaya, or any other large tourist gathering point in the world (Spain, Jamaica, Rome, Rio)? Probably not.

The lack of proper enforcement and/or corruption of, the law in Thailand (not just Phuket) probably contributes to a high crime rate in this country.

Crimes of opportunity against tourists will always be rife in areas where large numbers of these sheep accumulate.

I will continue to have my own thoughts about yourself, NKM, until proven otherwise.

However, I will keep these thoughts to myself in future, so long as you refrain from quoting and twisting the meaning of my posts to suit your agenda. biggrin.png

Another silly and off topic response by our (non) resident doom and gloomer.

I find it quite amusing that the biggest twister of facts on the forum would admonish me about them.biggrin.png

My post about Concrete (not cement) trucks was on another thread about a large crash by such a vehicle. I have never stated that Phuket, and indeed Thailand, traffic is anything but dangerous. I have commented on traffic issues numerous times. We all know that the number of road deaths in Thailand are at, or near, the top of the world. So, I made a statement in that other topic, that for me, the scariest vehicles on the roads are the concrete trucks. Nothing to do with the query in this thread.

The OP, whether it was a genuine post or not, acknowledged that Thai traffic was incredibly dangerous. That wasn't the topic of his query. In fact, he expressed concern about Thai, Russian and Police mafia, and wanted to know if he was asking for trouble travelling alone on his motorcycle in Phuket.

Time to compose another negative rant NKM, and then dive into your folder of links to try and find something that vaguely backs up your assertions.

You might be better off just going down to your corner pub for a beer, if it's not raining where you are.biggrin.png

Hardly a "rant" OC.

You have admitted the "traffic" in Thailand is dangerous.

Would you conceed the roads on Phuket are above average for danger, than the rest of Thailand, particularly for tourist areas?

That is, above average in two catergories:

1) accidents

and

2) robberies

It's difficult to gain accurate statisitics for both of these, due to government departments not wishing to tarnish Phuket's image, but going from media reports on this thread, compared to other threads, Phuket has a serious motor vehicle accident nearly on a daily basis. There was another one today.

I'm not sure why you think I do not reside on Phuket. You keep banging on about it. Just because I haven't bought a property here, have a Thai spouse, and a retirement visa, it doesn't mean that I am unable to reside here, like every other expat.

In my opinion, Phuket is a great place, but it's very poorly managed, to the detriment of ALL inhabitants, who deserve better, and no, I do not expect it to be like a western country.

Phuket has the most corrupt, of the corrupt, and the most greedy, of the greedy, and it shows in the infastructure, or lack of, here.

Here's some road accident statistics for you NKM. They're deaths on the roads for the 7 dangerous days over new year.

Phuket is not the worst Province in these statistics, although it is on the high end. http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/01/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2014-2015-in-thailand/

Considering the high numbers of tourists, migrant workers and internal workers who flood into Thailand's smallest province at this time of year, the figures here compare favourably against other less populated places.

Robberies. No stats easily found. But yes, Phuket does seem high, particularly if your only reference points are this forum and the various local newspapers/blogs.

Higher than Pattaya, or any other large tourist gathering point in the world (Spain, Jamaica, Rome, Rio)? Probably not.

The lack of proper enforcement and/or corruption of, the law in Thailand (not just Phuket) probably contributes to a high crime rate in this country.

Crimes of opportunity against tourists will always be rife in areas where large numbers of these sheep accumulate.

I will continue to have my own thoughts about yourself, NKM, until proven otherwise.

However, I will keep these thoughts to myself in future, so long as you refrain from quoting and twisting the meaning of my posts to suit your agenda. biggrin.png

I don't think a snap shot of 7 days, over the new year, is a fair indication of the overall danger on Phuket roads.

Phuket, as a small province, with a lot of tourism, obviously, has targeted enforcement (usually check-points) during this time.

I think it only prudent to encompass statistics for the other 358 days of the year for accidents, particularly fatalities, and then perhaps compare these year-on-year.

Here is an interesting PG article from, 1 yerar ago. Apparently, there is one road fatality on Phuket every three days. That's approximately 120 people dead on the roads here, every year.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thailand-third-worst-in-the-world-for-road-deaths-Phuket-killing-someone-every-three-days/24395#ad-image-0

****NOTE**** An individual must be dead at the scene, to be counted as a fatal road statistic, not later die in hospital, as a result of their injuries, which I am sure is common.

Also, it's quite possible if the real road fatality statistics were released, they would tarnish Phuket's image, so, I suggest, the figure of one fatality every three days is a very conservative figure, which even so, with Phuket being a small province, are damning statistics.

This is why media reports are probably an accurate method of noting fatal road accidents on Phuket. The journalist attended, photos were taken, the story written up, and the names of the deceased published.

It's hard for the Thai officials to cover these deaths up. The same with criminal acts, reported in the media.

In my opinion, robberies are not the road users main concern here, but they are a concern, particularly for a foreigner riding along the coast road, at night.

Here is an article on a typical robbery for a road user, just last week.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Snatch-thieves-nabbed-within-24-hours-gold/46112#ad-image-0

Fellow member KB stated he has been robbed, twice, in this area.

Whilst Thailand is the third worst country in the world for road death, I agree with you, it is no where near the worst for the robbery of road users. I would add Jo'burg to your list as one of the worst.

"I will continue to have my own thoughts about yourself, NKM, until proven otherwise." - no problems OC. I may just attend the next TV get together, under an alias, and meet you. smile.png

"so long as you refrain from quoting and twisting the meaning of my posts to suit your agenda." - once again, you can see, I have only quoted your exact words - I have not changed them. smile.png

As for "agenda" - I don't have one. I am single, and have never sent money for a "sick buffalo." I do not have a business here. I have not bought properly here. I have not invested here. I do not work here (or anywhere else) For me, it's sad to see Phuket change the way it has.

The island has so much potential for a long and sustainable future in tourism, but I see it losing market share, rapidly.

In relation to this thread, I will not be swayed from my belief that due to the lack of proper public transport here, everyone must own, or have access to, a motor vehicle, and sadly, that leads to the disgraceful road fatality statistics stated in the above PG article.

With such poor statistics, it would be hard to reach any other conclusion other than the roads on Phuket are in fact dangerous.

driving in thailand isnt recomended, just walk or rent a taxi. id give this advice to a muy thai fighter in training, so i give it to u if your overweight and wearing hip pack as well.

"driving in thailand isnt recomended, just walk or rent a taxi" - getting a taxi on phuket is not recommended, either. biggrin.png

driving in thailand isnt recomended, just walk or rent a taxi. id give this advice to a muy thai fighter in training, so i give it to u if your overweight and wearing hip pack as well.

"driving in thailand isnt recomended, just walk or rent a taxi" - getting a taxi on phuket is not recommended, either. biggrin.png

you have to be careful when walking too, met a guy who got put in a coma simply waking home as he was hit by drunk thai's, riding a bike isnt smart either.

if you cant rent a taxi then your obviously on too much nam kang, you know thai ice that u like so much u named yourself after it, i personally dont recomend thai ice, they sweep it off the floor of trucks on route to delivery in flip flop shoes...

to each his own..

Seen it all now..

Someone has quoted saying ''Patong is ''Cosmopolitan"" ?????

I think you need to get out a bit more...

It's more "cosmopolitan" than Rawai. :)

I think you need to come into Patong a bit more. :)

Here is the definition of "cosmopolitan" - for your information.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cosmopolitan

So that would make Angeles City in the Philippines more cosmopolitan than Patong? As its been a mix of cultures for more than 70 years.

Seen it all now..

It's more "cosmopolitan" than Rawai. smile.png

I think you need to come into Patong a bit more. smile.png

Wild Horses could not drag me into ''Patong''... best avoided 365 days a year.... ''Chav Holiday Destination''... definetly not my cup of tea, but each to there own....

Seen it all now..

It's more "cosmopolitan" than Rawai. smile.png

I think you need to come into Patong a bit more. smile.png

Wild Horses could not drag me into ''Patong''... best avoided 365 days a year.... ''Chav Holiday Destination''... definetly not my cup of tea, but each to there own....

And to think, you only live a few miles away.

That's like someone proudly saying, "I don't live in Pattaya. I live in Jomtien." cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Wasn't to safe near Saphan Hin yesterday.

Just thinking the same.

Probably because he did not like the look the guy gave him.

Luckily not more killed and injured firing off 10 rounds could have hit anyone.

I suppose the "These things happen everywhere" brigade will be along soon.

Saphan hin has always been this dangerous. It just never made the news as much because it was local on local crime.

That area was a no go zone for Thais for a long time but since hey lit up the place with floodlights the people have reclaimed it for night picnics.

Saphan hin has always been this dangerous. It just never made the news as much because it was local on local crime.

That area was a no go zone for Thais for a long time but since hey lit up the place with floodlights the people have reclaimed it for night picnics.

So, "Karon is on a roll" and "Saphan hin has always been this dangerous" - for someone who states Phuket isn't "dangerous" - I think you are contradicting yourself, Hans. :)

So, "Karon is on a roll" and "Saphan hin has always been this dangerous" - for someone who states Phuket isn't "dangerous" - I think you are contradicting yourself, Hans. :)

Parts of Phuket are, mostly where the local people reside is where the heavy violence occurs.

Tourist areas crimes will always happen no matter where you are in the world.

It's pretty theft or a drunk farang ma moo or maybe an Italian busted smoking ice with a ladyboy.

Been here over 6 yrs and in all that time I have been visiting Saphan Hin, never ever seen a problem there! Love the place!

How often do you venture there at night?
Never been there passed 20.00hrs I wouldn't go to places like that in my home country as night time is when the dregs come out, but up to that time I have been hundreds of times, everywhere on the planet is dangerous at night time! Edited by Badrabbit

So, "Karon is on a roll" and "Saphan hin has always been this dangerous" - for someone who states Phuket isn't "dangerous" - I think you are contradicting yourself, Hans. smile.png

Parts of Phuket are, mostly where the local people reside is where the heavy violence occurs.

Tourist areas crimes will always happen no matter where you are in the world.

It's pretty theft or a drunk farang ma moo or maybe an Italian busted smoking ice with a ladyboy.

A fair reply.

So, a question for you, with the "slim pickings" on the island now, in your opinion, has crime increased, and spread to parts of the island that possibly did not experience much crime in the past?

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree that sadly for me Patong does seem to attract the dregs of tourists because of it's nature BUT overall I still prefer it to many places in Phuket largely because of the ease of getting almost anything here. Easy to get different food, plenty of night life, easy to get to supermarkets, cinemas and shops of just about any time. Often times I can walk too, a big plus if I fancy having a few beers.

Lots of friends here in business also. If they weren't here I'm not sure I'd chose it still but as they are here I'm happy to concentrate on the positive aspects of Patong and just try to avoid the dregs. That said, take a trip down Bangla and you might be out of luck on that one 50/50 chance at least of encountering one or more groups of, or individual, tossers.

Edited by Pick of Penang