I am leaving Thailand. Which nearby country (or asian country) will allow us without visa hassle?

Hello

I think unfortunately I will have leave Thailand

No solution to stay a few years without hassle. (except Thai Elite at 1 million baht for me and my wife)....

ED hard to get MOE letter, hard to get the Visa, hard to get the extensions. And should become harder and harder.

Retired I am too young

Non-B : I don't plan to work here

Tourist : Cool for a few months...

What I mean is I can't construct and make project in my life (baby.....) if I am not sure they will extend or not, each 3 months.....! What a life !

So despite I love Thailand a lot, I have to go to a more welcoming country where I know I can be there for a few years for sure...

Where could I go? Do you have experience with nearby countries? With Bali? Any other idea?

I am looking for... :

1) possibility of visa with low requirement (ok to show money, give proof I have money and will not work...)

2) like here in Phuket or Samui... Sun, Safety, life not too expensive....

In fact I am looking for a life about the same as in Phuket, Samui, but in another country.....

Many thanks

PS : exemple, costa rica (country I never went) seems cool and offers resident visa if you give proof you have some savings. I look for the same... ability to stay worryless. Can't live without knowing if in 3 month the immigration officer will let me in or not...

If you are ready to show (and transfer) money, Google MM2H or Malaysia My Second Home.

It is the Malaysian long stay program, which gives you a 10 year visa.

There are few requirements, but it is not for "cheap people" either. You are required to transfer the equivalent of 5 million baht on an account there.

Then you can also buy a locally assembled car (no luxury cars are locally assembled) tax free, buy a house (only priced above the equivalent of 10 million baht), and a few other things.

It is a good program.

However, when you look at it, the Thailand Elite program is different but even simpler. Just pay and get your visa...

If you want to leave Thailand, try Malaysia. It's less fun, but the quality of foreigners there is much higher than in Thailand.

Penang is good if you have friends there. Good food too.

By the way, if I don't make a mistake, the application process for MM2H will cost you around 100,000b (10.000 ringgit) per person, since you must go through an approved agent.

So, as you can see, its not free either.

The difference is that with MM2H you fullfill certain requirements to get a long term visa, while with Thailand Elite you buy a luxury service that makes your long stays in Thailand as easy as it could.

Not really the same thing, but both are good.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Some things you may need to consider:

• cost of living
  • climate & environmental conditions
  • health care & safety
  • residency options
  • size of expat community
  • English spoken
  • entertainment infrastructure

This site is pretty good: http://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com/ and their newsletter: http://www.overseasretirementletter.com/subs/orl-71-1407-Index2014-dcj.pdf

Edited by 3mike26

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place.

I lived outside KL for a while and I found the people friendly, English is widely spoken, the infrastructure and medical facilities are world class.

Visas are easy to get, no reporting and you can own property, cars, open electricity accounts etc no problems. Although you have to pay a deposit.

Some people express concerns about Muslims but I never had a problem, there is a sizeable population of Chinese Malays and Indian Malays. I lived with the Chinese Malay community and found them to be very good people.

Cost of living is reasonable and I would consider with the rising prices in Thailand it can be cheaper. There is a wide variety of food available with the multicultural population and if you like Indian food there are plenty of cheap restaurants.

Good luck, hope you find a good home in South East Asia

I have no idea why some people are have so many concerns about Islam. Besides, much of southern Thailand is just as Muslim and conservative as parts of Malaysia are, so there's really very little difference.

But I definitely agree that Malaysia is quite an agreeable place to live, especially Penang, KL and a few other places, mostly along the west coast that are multicultural with large Chinese, Indian and other ethnic minorities and expat residents.

I haven't been to Malaysia for a few years but remember that the cost of most goods and services, including transport, food and hotels was similar to Thailand. I actually rented a car and paid less than what I would have in Thailand, in fact the rental was one of the cheapest I found anywhere in the world, at that time. Fuel of course is a lot cheaper than Thailand.

Beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages are more expensive but unless you're the party type, in which case there's still plenty of fun to be found in KL, Johor Bahru and Penang (though maybe not elsewhere), Malaysia has a lot of other things going for it, which Thailand doesn't have.

• Like 1

Hello

I think unfortunately I will have leave Thailand

No solution to stay a few years without hassle. (except Thai Elite at 1 million baht for me and my wife)....

ED hard to get MOE letter, hard to get the Visa, hard to get the extensions. And should become harder and harder.

Retired I am too young

Non-B : I don't plan to work here

Tourist : Cool for a few months...

What I mean is I can't construct and make project in my life (baby.....) if I am not sure they will extend or not, each 3 months.....! What a life !

So despite I love Thailand a lot, I have to go to a more welcoming country where I know I can be there for a few years for sure...

Where could I go? Do you have experience with nearby countries? With Bali? Any other idea?

I am looking for... :

1) possibility of visa with low requirement (ok to show money, give proof I have money and will not work...)

2) like here in Phuket or Samui... Sun, Safety, life not too expensive....

In fact I am looking for a life about the same as in Phuket, Samui, but in another country.....

Many thanks

PS : exemple, costa rica (country I never went) seems cool and offers resident visa if you give proof you have some savings. I look for the same... ability to stay worryless. Can't live without knowing if in 3 month the immigration officer will let me in or not...

If you are ready to show (and transfer) money, Google MM2H or Malaysia My Second Home.

It is the Malaysian long stay program, which gives you a 10 year visa.

There are few requirements, but it is not for "cheap people" either. You are required to transfer the equivalent of 5 million baht on an account there.

Then you can also buy a locally assembled car (no luxury cars are locally assembled) tax free, buy a house (only priced above the equivalent of 10 million baht), and a few other things.

It is a good program.

However, when you look at it, the Thailand Elite program is different but even simpler. Just pay and get your visa...

If you want to leave Thailand, try Malaysia. It's less fun, but the quality of foreigners there is much higher than in Thailand.

Penang is good if you have friends there. Good food too.

By the way, if I don't make a mistake, the application process for MM2H will cost you around 100,000b (10.000 ringgit) per person, since you must go through an approved agent.

So, as you can see, its not free either.

The difference is that with MM2H you fullfill certain requirements to get a long term visa, while with Thailand Elite you buy a luxury service that makes your long stays in Thailand as easy as it could.

Not really the same thing, but both are good.

The Thailand Elite program may be simpler, but looking at some of the advantages of the Malaysia My Second Home program, clearly the latter is the winner. Thailand Elite as you say only really allows you to stay in Thailand long term but you get few other advantages - owning land is still out of the question and owning property isn't any easier compared to being an expat who works in Thailand or even just a tourist - they are treated the same.

Apart from there being less nightlife in Malaysia compared to Thailand, I would hardly call the place "less fun". I mean, you have world class beaches, diving, national parks, orang-utans, great food with great variety, good shopping too.

Vietnam for sure. You dont need to report every f..ing 90 day's and you can get a yearly visa easily.

Cost of living is about the same as here, if not cheaper. No hassle renewing your year visa.

Also the Philippines is another good place to do the same. Not sure about the yearly visa there,

but it's probaly easier there than here. Nothing here is easy for us farang here in land of scams.

True, Vietnam is easier. Cambodia too - 1 year visa is very easy and once you've paid up, you'll have in your possession a multiple entry visa that even allows you to work if you get a work permit attached to it, which is said to be nothing more than a formality. There are no restrictions on the number of locals that need to be employed per work permit, minimum capitalization or any other nonsense like in Thailand.

I have heard that in the Philippines extending a visa, even long-term is quite easy and they give you some sort of ID card after a while. But as I've never even been there, I don't know for sure but a simple Google search confirmed that for me not that long ago.

Malaysia is not easy long term unless you do the second home program, which requires substantial savings invested in the country (albeit with some flexibility). Otherwise no visas are available. Visa runs every 3 months for just a couple days won't keep you in the country for more than a year or so.

I have been here in Thailand for 14 months, but always looking for another place that is more stable & doesn't have the same politics problems, but for me the hassle is having to report every 3 months, as we like to travel and it is sometimes difficult to get back in time for your report, also I worry about how secure your money is here. For me am married to a Thai 30 years now but we were living in the US, and only visited for vacations, now own a condo in her name & car in her name, so nothing in my name in this country including saving account, kind of scary, but I could always leave and go back to the US if I had to, just would not be able to afford to live very well with only 2500 a month. So always looking, but Maylasia scars me because of the Musulins can be crazy and go off anytime, it wasn't that long ago when they hated Americans and wouldn't allow them to visit, and Loas is barley a country, don't know much about cambodia or vietnam. Costa Rita Sounds good but it's a long ways from Thailand.

You could also own a condo and a car in Thailand even as a tourist so there's no reason why your wife has them in her name unless you don't mind that or you want it that way. It's only owning land that is out of bounds except if you become a citizen or if you have a huge money to invest under BOI privileges, but this comes with restrictions too, which include (whoever knows more than I do about this topic please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) means land located inside an industrial estate for industrial purposes (so not residential), i.e. such as operating a factory or something and the minimum investment is something like 40? million Baht.

There are also plenty of Muslims in Thailand too and they too have been known to protest against Americans (remember that protest regarding that controversial film outside the American embassy in Bangkok back in 2013?) and far southern Thailand is every bit as Muslim and conservative as rural parts of Malaysia.

However, in general I think Malaysia is OK but alright if you are overly concerned about Islam and how it may impact everyday life (even though if you are non-Muslim, Malaysia is fine as only around 50% of the population are non-Muslim anyway, it's not Saudi Arabia) then Cambodia, Vietnam or even China may suit better. Of course China is more difficult visa-wise and is pricier, the weather isn't as good and pollution is a problem but Cambodia and Vietnam are attractive as is the Philippines.

Laos is actually very attractive, at least if you were considering Luang Prabang or Vientiane, although granted there's not that much to do. Quite a few very happy foreigners have settled in these cities, more in Vientiane in my experience, probably due to being the largest city and proximity to Thailand for healthcare, shopping and other conveniences. They seem to live in far larger and more luxurious mansions than anything you see in Thailand these days. Access roads may still be dirt roads, but the size of these places puts most Thai properties to shame - only the ultra wealthy in Thailand seem to own anything comparable.

Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam are the alternatives I would consider if you want to stay in Asia. I wouldn't go to the Philippines if safety is important to you as you mentioned in your post.

But personally for me, Thailand is still the better option than those alternatives. But feel free to check it out, they all have their pros and cons.

I think we're straying off topic a bit. This isn't about Thailand, but about other countries in the region. And it's focus should be on visa related issues.

We've had these threads before in the Travel sub forum. Discussions of alternatives for retirement, other cheap places to live besides here, etc. They've always turned into very interesting discussions.

So let's try to stay on topic and not turn this into a Thai bashing thread.

wai2.gif

I moved to Cambodia last year after three years in Thailand. Like anywhere, it takes a bit of getting used to but now feels like home in a way Thailand never did. With all the bureaucratic hoops the Thai's make people jump through I get the impression they don't really want foreigners living there. They want us to go there on holiday, spend a lot of money, then leave. I still visit there frequently but I wouldn't live there again.

• Like 2

I use every chance I can to discourage foreigners from settling in Thailand. I do not see foreigners adding much, except in the very rare cases of highly specialized knowledge/skills. Looking realistically, Thailand needs more laborers at the low end where foreigners will not work and needs very few top end foreigners.

From reading thaivisa alone, I find foreigners come here to get something out of Thailand from the chance to stay drunk continuously to cheap sex workers to ways to do nothing at the lowest possible cost. These are not the kind of immigrants Thailand wants nor should want. Further, foreigners offer little except foul criticisms of everything Thai from 3 on a bike to denigrating Buddhism. Thai just do not care how you would run things.

Move out if you are here and definitely do not move in. Thank you.rolleyes.gifwai.gif

I think foreigners can potentially add a lot, but the problem is either they don't have the motivation or willpower, or are bound by tight labour/immigration laws or some other combination of factors. I also believe that Thailand is not really the type of country where a foreigner, from any country can really make a big impact and lift themselves up, with very few exceptions. Also, it doesn't offer these kinds of opportunities or even the best lifestyles. Another problem is, as you say, too many criticisms but not enough action to make any positive impact. But again, could this be due to a lack of motivation, willpower, or other restrictions which prevent this from happening?

You cited the example of things like 3 on a bike, which I can also take to mean things like driving against the flow of traffic, drunk driving, not wearing a helmet, corruption or any other example of not following the law.

Are there any foreigners who would like Thais to follow traffic rules more, to end or at least greatly reduce corruption? If so, how are they going about this, because I have rarely if ever heard of any foreigner who has tackled these issues, in fact not even Thais seem to care much?

When it comes to attracting the best and brightest, countries like China may eventually scoop up some of the best foreigners and in fact China is trying. For all the cynicism that some non-Chinese may have about China's ambitions, one thing we know is that China wants to become the biggest and best, it wants to rule the world and that's why China is relevant. And yes, this means such things as importing technology and highly skilled labour (and even increasingly, relying on unskilled labour as local labour increasingly ages and is in shorter supply than it used to be), and I've even heard people like the major of Shanghai I think it was who stated a few years ago that his city plans to have a foreign resident ratio of at least 5% in Shanghai. I highly doubt any politician or local in Thailand would ever say anything similar, such as to aim for a minimum ratio of foreign residents as Thais only tolerate foreigners, they don't really want them here.

Thailand is nothing like China though - it will never make any big global impact or be a major global power. It also doesn't even want that - it seems to be content where it is right now and drift along, "sabai sabai" as it is now. There is no incentive for big change, although some token concessions are occasionally made in order to lift the country up economically and thus possibly out of irrelevance, otherwise it could be left behind. But in that sense, Thailand simply tries to keep up, not move ahead.

I agree about the drinking types and many of those who have nothing much to contribute to Thailand, but unless the country changes maybe it's best to accept that Thailand is really only a good place to travel to and maybe consider retiring in, but certainly not to work or make any money, or make a name for yourself, make an impact or contribute anything major to society. Even Burmese, Lao and Cambodian nationals will increasingly move back home once wages in their own countries go up and more opportunities are made available, which is increasingly likely in the face of further investment, openness and competitive advantages they increasingly have over Thailand.

• Like 1

Malaysia is not easy long term unless you do the second home program, which requires substantial savings invested in the country (albeit with some flexibility). Otherwise no visas are available. Visa runs every 3 months for just a couple days won't keep you in the country for more than a year or so.

Without knowing anything else about Malaysian visas other than the Second Home Program, surely there are other types of visas that allow foreigners to stay long term without too much hassle?

Of course for short term stays, visa runs every 3 months would work, but as a more developed country, Malaysia surely not only has other more straightforward ways of staying longer and also discourages continuous, long-term visa runs.

Countries like Myanmar and Laos are different - as they are much poorer, have few long-term visa options for foreigners and in some cases have only recently formulated policy on the long-term stay of foreigners in their country, many people get by with long-term visa runs, which are accepted by both countries. But yeah as you say I don't think Malaysia would allow that for much more than a year or so, if not less. But unlike these other countries they probably also have some kind of visa for long term stays, or only if you work?

But hey, if you've lived there and know the ins and outs of Malaysian visas then I'm sure you're more qualified to speak on the subject matter than I am.

I tried living in Cambodia for a few months. It seriously is a dump and nothing like Thailand. Infrastructure is horrible, the food is tasteless, it's dirty as <deleted> and the people are piss-poor. True third world country bah.gif

I've lived in Cambodia for 9 years, had stints elsewhere including Bangkok for 5 years. I prefer Cambodia to Thailand.

That said, as always, one man's meat.....

• Like 1

1. Malaysia

2. Cambodia

3. Dominica Republic

4. Peru - Equador - Panama

5. Vietnam

Look at "International Living" magazine and web site for comprehensive reviews of countries that are ideal for living. Malaysia is running full-page ads touting their comprehensive medical care and facilities for retirees.

If you like Thailand why you have to leave? If your wife thai thats not hassle at all and you said you had some money?

Thailand its welcome country by the way. I assumed that you've got some trouble in Thailand not about applying for any Type of Visa.

My guess is The reason you cant stay here maybe you get the letters from Thai court and summons from police?

From my experience if you had that problem should sort it out before you leave.

?

For me personally an important point is that I don't spent to much time in a religion driven country this eliminates already some southern asian countries on the list. Laos or myanmar would be top ranking countries on the list to consider for a move.

Which sunny beach in Laos would you recommend to the OP?

• Like 1

1. Malaysia

2. Cambodia

3. Dominica Republic

4. Peru - Equador - Panama

5. Vietnam

Look at "International Living" magazine and web site for comprehensive reviews of countries that are ideal for living. Malaysia is running full-page ads touting their comprehensive medical care and facilities for retirees.

Every single volume of that magazine is exactly the same as the next. The information is rarely accurate and is likely part of paid advertising budgets of various "top countries" tourism departments. You said it yourself "malaysia is running full page ads". Also, looking at photos taken by a professional photographer is never a true representation either.

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place.

I lived outside KL for a while and I found the people friendly, English is widely spoken, the infrastructure and medical facilities are world class.

Visas are easy to get, no reporting and you can own property, cars, open electricity accounts etc no problems. Although you have to pay a deposit.

Some people express concerns about Muslims but I never had a problem, there is a sizeable population of Chinese Malays and Indian Malays. I lived with the Chinese Malay community and found them to be very good people.

Cost of living is reasonable and I would consider with the rising prices in Thailand it can be cheaper. There is a wide variety of food available with the multicultural population and if you like Indian food there are plenty of cheap restaurants.

there is no such thing as Indian Malays or Chinese Malays.

Malays are Malays, they are the majority of approx 62% in the country and all MUSLIM by law the moment they are born.

there are, though, Malaysian Chinese, Malaysian Indians and Malaysian DAYAK, but they are not MALAYS in any way

Hello many thanks all for your replies! You are so helpful, many thanks !!

Some precisions some asked :

We are couple of farangs from europe, about 30 years old.

Ideally we would stay here (Phuket or Samui as we are beach lovers)... but we cannot due to their immigration rules... I mean we can, but every 3 months (being an ED or tourist or whatever), our ability to stay depends of the immigration officer... this is not a life for me, and I cannot make projects like this. For sure Thai Elite would be the solution but I don't have 1 million to give them :(

Very interesting are your replies with countries suggestions! Many thanks! Indeed except an easy yearly visa, I look for safety, cost of life OK (especially rent house, food..), nice people, sun, and if possible life beach. If possible not too dirty city....

In fact I am looking for the closest lifestyle like in Koh Samui..... (quite cheap, great food, nice beach, safe, much freedom, ...)

I agree I am a dreamer and I ask much, but what could be the closest to what I ask...?

Many thanks!! I will keep you posted for sure.

PS : oh yes also I don't party too much and don't drink too much as this can be an issue for some countries.. :)

I have a friend in Costa Rica.

Laos is a communist country. Loved it!

Cambodia sounds great ? for me.

I'm tired of my COLD MOUNTAIN on Hawaii Island.

Same latitude as Thailand! One can always come here

on the way to C.R.

We all speak English.Plenty of Thai restaurants.

Lots of Asians.

I have a couple buildings on a few acres.

No exit visa!! (right)?

I'm nine miles from the beach and some of the most exclusive resorts.

Plenty jobs in Tourism..or are You entrepreneurial?

I gotta go where it's warmer. I'm too old for my 5-10 C.temp at home.

To the beach! P.M. me on way to Costa Rica!!?

COSTA RICA - pura VIDAAAAAAA ^^

Hello many thanks all for your replies! You are so helpful, many thanks !!

Some precisions some asked :

We are couple of farangs from europe, about 30 years old.

Ideally we would stay here (Phuket or Samui as we are beach lovers)... but we cannot due to their immigration rules... I mean we can, but every 3 months (being an ED or tourist or whatever), our ability to stay depends of the immigration officer... this is not a life for me, and I cannot make projects like this. For sure Thai Elite would be the solution but I don't have 1 million to give them sad.png

Very interesting are your replies with countries suggestions! Many thanks! Indeed except an easy yearly visa, I look for safety, cost of life OK (especially rent house, food..), nice people, sun, and if possible life beach. If possible not too dirty city....

In fact I am looking for the closest lifestyle like in Koh Samui..... (quite cheap, great food, nice beach, safe, much freedom, ...)

I agree I am a dreamer and I ask much, but what could be the closest to what I ask...?

Many thanks!! I will keep you posted for sure.

PS : oh yes also I don't party too much and don't drink too much as this can be an issue for some countries.. smile.png

Sihanoukville, Cambodia would be the place you're looking for. Why not just go there for a week or 2 and have a look around. It's not far away. Go check out the beaches, check out the accommodation, go to some bars and talk with the resident expats and get current info from them on your visas and any other matters.

I'm long term in Thailand on retirement extensions, if life ever became too difficult for me here I'd go to Cambodia, probably Sihanoukville, maybe Kampot/Kep....or I'd fly to PIs and check out some islands. But I think I'd prefer to return to live in Australia rather than try Malaysia.

• Like 1

The problem with Malaysia is the climate, 2 seasons, either veeeeeery hot and humid, or wet and flooded with constant rain. If you think Thailand is too hot, then forget about Malaysia, 'cause it's hot like in a sauna, and the only way to escape it is to lock yourself up in your home with the aircon full throttle.

An interesting thread and lots to think about. I have often thought where would I go if I ever faced being unable to stay in Thailand, though I don't think that will happen. International Living just published a list of places to retire with Ecuador being at the top - other than the fact that I love Thailand, if I had to go elsewhere it would likely be Ecuador actually (can own land, have business, few requirements for pensionados visa, discounts for older individuals, national health insurance), also Panama, Uruguay, Argentina (I like Argentina's progressive politics), maybe Mexico. Not sure how easy it is for posters like the OP though who are younger... Vietnam and Cambodia seem easiest...

Ideally though I would choose a country near Thailand so I could at least visit it, not sure any are perfect. Now with the 10-year tourist visas for Americans in China, it would maybe be an option to divide time between China and Thailand, keep my apartment here. Indonesia has a retirement visa, easier in some ways it seems than here, but harder in others - however after a few years can apply for citizenship as I understand it... Philippines seems to charge out the wazoo for anything related to visas. Myself, I have always thought I would opt for Cambodia or Vietnam.

Just curious, anyone have any experience with dividing time between Thailand and nearby countries? For example 1 month in Cambodia or Malaysia and 1 month in Thailand, or 3 months in between... That would work for me even if not idea... Maybe it's also an option for the OP if he chose to stay in border region...?

Ye Penang great nice place good beaches in the north of the island live there quite cheap nice friendly people no Muslim problems loads cheap eating markets. Every one so helpful there is a web site cannot remember the name but you should be able to get it through Google ex pat site they will guide you to permanent visa advice and help you with it. I was thinking seriously on settling there. Good luck.

The problem with Malaysia is the climate, 2 seasons, either veeeeeery hot and humid, or wet and flooded with constant rain. If you think Thailand is too hot, then forget about Malaysia, 'cause it's hot like in a sauna, and the only way to escape it is to lock yourself up in your home with the aircon full throttle.

it's very similar to the south of Thailand or Singapore unless you go to the mountains. Tropical all year round, in Winter it rains more but frankly it rains all year round, so no dry season.

If you manage the heat in Thailand, you manage it also in other countries like Malaysia, Cambodia, Indo, Philippines etc.