Driving in Thailand is NOT so bad

All your statistics are rubbish because Thailand doesn't count the cause of death from motor vehicle accident if the patient dies after reaching the hospital. In reality Thailand is a distant 1st place. #2 Namibia at 1/30th the size of Thailand shouldn't really count anyway being as small as it is.

The only reason the US is as high as it is is because they keep very accurate statistics when compared to most other countries.

Keep in mind too that most cars on the roads of Thailand are built to a much lower standard than those in the US and other first world country.

Speaking of rubbish, I think your entire post would fairly well fit that category.

The idea that in Thailand cars are built to a lower standard is a popular old wives tale on ThaiVisa

but it has little connection to reality. I used to work for Honda company and can assure you Hondas

built in Marysville, Ohio, Saitama, Japan, or Ayutthaya, Thailand are all built to the same standards.

Also, your argument about statistics is very weak. Do you really care about Namibia?

There are a number of factors which still make driving in Thailand in a car risky, and I would caution against ever becoming complacent while driving here.

1. Poor enforcement of driving while intoxicated/inebriated laws.

2. Poor defensive driving training and education. Driver's education not taught in schools. Very limited number of driving schools.

3. Many drivers who should be wearing corrective lenses when driving don't.

4. Inadequate monitoring and testing of elderly/medically impaired drivers. (epilepsy, dementia, etc.)

5. Drivers who habitually drive hazardously (speeding, tailgating, multiple accidents) less likely to have their licenses suspended/revoked.

5. Underaged or unlicensed individuals operating motor vehicles.

6. Slow moving farm vehicles esp. sugar cane trucks.

7. Farm animals grazing on the side of the road.

8. High percentage of undivided two lane roads.

9. If right hand U-turn lane gets backed up into the right hand high speed lane you can easily rear-end someone.

10. Adequate liability insurance coverage is oftentimes not available. (maximum available limits are quite low)

11. Poor enforcement of vehicle road worthiness laws (missing headlights, tail lights, worn out tire tread, etc.)

The problem will become if the Thais dont try to use some sense NOW then later they will be forced to do so by draconian laws like the Uk has, all it needs is a bit of decency and sense NOW...........I ain t holding my breath and dont want the UK'S over the top laws here.

well the Op says it aint so bad and to a point Id agree but yes, you really do have to be on guard and expect the unbelievably impossible to happen at ANY time.

I once saw a 6 foot by 3 foot steel cage in the road all cars swerving round it, then saw a Police car ( Highway Patrol) approach it and i thought good theyll stop and clear the road...................nope , swerved round it and carried on.absolute STUPIDITY on their part

Pragmatic! Yes that's the word I was looking for when trying to articulate to my Canadian friends how much I love driving here. The rules back home make you in to an auto-bot ha ha - but seriously, if we had western style rules here in Asia traffic would come to a halt. Love the OP's post.

• Like 1

The OP can drown in UNPROVEN stats all he likes but really ... driving in Thailand isn't so bad???

Maybe the long-termers have learned how to drive defensively and find the whole experience not as bad as we all read about from time to time but on a whole, the driving is horrendous!

Selfish, tunnel-vision, inconsiderate and downright ****ing dangerous is how most Thais describe the driving here.

This was a well thought out piece, with a few exceptions. Overall I really enjoyed someone's thoughts on this because the roads concern me every day here. I would note that the laizze fare apporach you suggest in thai driving is actually incompetence, and not a relatively different means of engaging traffic rules. In my short time in samui I have seen more deaths and all my years in BKK or chiang mai. There might have been more elsehwee, but I have seen three in one week. The stores and streets are overflowing with casts, and bruises, and braces and abrasions of the walking wounded. Crossing the street here at night to go to a store is as utterly taxing as driving in the red zone in Iraq. Totally the same mental exhaustion. For such a small island the sirens are heard fairly constantly throughout the waking hours.

I dont know what gymnastics are employed to reach the conclusion that Thailand has moderate to good driving as compared elsewhere, but the experience I have is not that. Your OP is smartly thought out, I just dont agree with your analysis.

A 3-week visit to India cured me of ever complaning about traffic and drivers in Thailand. smile.png

That is what I was thinking as I read this topic - Indian driving is so much worse than Thailand it is a relief when I get back home and hop in my car or on my bike. In 9 years here I have not had an accident, but in the 4 years total that I have spent in India I have been in 10 accidents, only one of which was caused by my driver.

And lets not forget Saudi Arabia - that is terrifying! I was even hit in an intersection while walking with the light. Someone in a stopped car decided to blast into traffic right as I was in front of his car! After I got up he continued to run the light into heavy traffic. One day on my commute (@7km) I saw the remains of 4 significant crashes - overturned or dismembered vehicles in the middle of intersections. I read in the english daily that Saudi spends more on long term care of car crash victims than they do on education.

Edited by smccolley
  • Like 2

I spent 15 years working in the UAE before I moved here. The population there is about 25% Arab (Emiratis and other Arabs) and about 60% South Asian (Indians, Pakistanis, etc.)and the driving is

generally reckless, aggressive and ill-mannered. I feel more relaxed and much safer driving here, and, as the OP said, Thais seem to be pragmatic on the road and they are very courteous in comparison to the drivers in the UAE.

• Like 1

I must say the only danger I felt driving in Bangkok is about getting killed by road rage. There's not much chance of road fatalities when the traffic moves at 5 km/h.

But overall driving in the US is easy. In Thailand it's not. The road fatality statistics answer that question perfectly.

There are a number of factors which still make driving in Thailand in a car risky, and I would caution against ever becoming complacent while driving here.

2. Poor defensive driving training and education. Driver's education not taught in schools. Very limited number of driving schools.

4. Inadequate monitoring and testing of elderly/medically impaired drivers. (epilepsy, dementia, etc.)

5. Drivers who habitually drive hazardously (speeding, tailgating, multiple accidents) less likely to have their licenses suspended/revoked.

9. If right hand U-turn lane gets backed up into the right hand high speed lane you can easily rear-end someone.

10. Adequate liability insurance coverage is oftentimes not available. (maximum available limits are quite low)

11. Poor enforcement of vehicle road worthiness laws (missing headlights, tail lights, worn out tire tread, etc.)

The problem will become if the Thais dont try to use some sense NOW then later they will be forced to do so by draconian laws like the Uk has, all it needs is a bit of decency and sense NOW...........I ain t holding my breath and dont want the UK'S over the top laws here.

well the Op says it aint so bad and to a point Id agree but yes, you really do have to be on guard and expect the unbelievably impossible to happen at ANY time.

I once saw a 6 foot by 3 foot steel cage in the road all cars swerving round it, then saw a Police car ( Highway Patrol) approach it and i thought good theyll stop and clear the road...................nope , swerved round it and carried on.absolute STUPIDITY on their part

Please describe some of the UK driving laws that you find draconian.

Seat belts, Seat belts, Seat belts.

Child car seats, Child car seats, Child car seats.

Kids on laps in a car with or without air bags????????

Lets start with the basics that western Countries introduced 40 years ago.

Then start paying the cols a decent salary and get them to enforce traffic laws.

You forgot Helmets-helmets-helmets... and

Strap the helmet on. helmet that is not strapped = no helmet at all.

And no helmet=no brain or at least not one worth saving.
  • Like 1

I too live on Samui, and in my nearly seven years living here have not witnessed all these accidents ... and I probably drive around the island more than most people.. but I don't drive much at night, and try to avoid rush hours, morning and evening, especially in built up areas, I will admit... perhaps this is when most of these accidents occur? Bar types, driving drunk....especially at night... but I am not so naive, that it does not occur during the day, too...

The only fatal one I have seen the aftermath here, was a few weeks ago, where obviously the farang driver was probably driving too fast (too many do) and ran into a turning cement truck... Certainly not the fault of the cement truck driver... it's too easy to blame the Thais all the time!

Driving with due care and attention, using mirrors to know what is behind is as important as what is in front or coming from the side roads etc.... using a helmet too...

Hearing sirens, is not always because a road accident... there many other reasons people get rushed to hospital ! I have been at the hospital when people come in... with other medical problems...

I have driven all southern provinces in Thailand south of Chumpon and areas around Pai, and then too around most of Mainland Malaysia and Sabah State, in Borneo Malaysia... no problems at all... Most roads / highways have very abdicate bike lanes and usually except for rush hour highways in the south at least, are never that busy... during the day anyway... Bike lanes are more common here than most western countries, I have driven....Canada, US, UK etc....

I have no problem at all driving here, I really enjoy it too, like several others here have said... wink.png

This is very typical of driving on a main road anywhere in the south... this is between Khoa Sok and Ranong... virtually no day time traffic, one can drive for miles like this...

IMG_3828.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

"At the end of the day, I understand that I am responsible for keeping myself alive. It’s not up to the other guy."

Unfortunately your fate often is 'up to the other guy'. If he decides it's okay to drink and drive, or use all three or four lanes in order to get to his destination five minutes earlier, or travel against the direction of traffic, or drive some old piece of shit that is barely held together, or drive without proper training/insurance/licence, or be prepared to flee the scene of an accident etc etc.

We regularly travel between Hua Hin and Sakhon Nakon and on that trip I can honestly say that I have to take evasive action maybe two, three or four times to avoid a big collision based on somebody else's incompetence. This is every trip.

The lane discipline in this country is beyond belief. Hard shoulder for motorcycles travelling in either direction. Inside (left) lane for trucks. Middle lane for the general population and people who don't want their suspension wrecked by driving in the left lane. Outside (right lane) is exclusively for the use of buses, vans, Mercs, all red plate cars, youngsters with matt black bonnets and huge spoilers on the boot, hopelessly slow moving pickups piled high with bald tyres in the back, and people who are lost but know that they need to turn right sometime within the next fifty kilometres.

The entire nation needs their driving licences taken away from them and start again.

I can't get through the first page on this thread. Driving in Thailand is a nightmare. Lack of enforcement by the police lets everyone drive as crazy as they want with no ramifications. Common courtesy that we come to expect doesn't work here, they don't have that concept.

You have to drive super defensively here. Be constantly scanning for possible problems. It's the worst place in the world I've ever driven. It's why my car has only 15k km on it after 3 years. Thai drivers are the worst.

Not that bad? Wow.

Definitely, Thailand is better than China, Vietnam, India i.o.w better than most Asian countries. Does this makes Thailand a safe country to drive? Surely not, too many close calls, many complete idiots mostly found in boosted pick-ups, followed by mini-van drivers last but not least bus drivers. Nearly at every traffic light I see cars driving through the red light. The reason we can avoid accidents is because many of us drive defensive and think ahead what other drivers might decide to do. Just decide bsed on experience, not statistics.

walk, don't ride....

Didn't you read the other thread about injuries sustained while walking on Thai pavements/sidewalks. Let's face it as soon as you're out of your front door you're in danger no matter what form of transport you choose.

Speeding in general, at 3 am in the morning in the country on a 3 lane wideeeeeeee carriageway speeding at 70 mph mph on a 60mph road in the middle of nowhere ( Mid Wales) clear skies dry road no one else about, coppers dont use any common sense now its just "youre nicked"

Speed doesnt kill if used sensibly.

Speed cameras are there to generate income, many now being removed due to complaints or no more introduced, often put in certain positions to generate income even though govt will say there must be xyz amount of casualties before one can be erected.

Unfortunately laws are made for the absolute cretinous in society which then blight the majority.

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

Speeding in general, at 3 am in the morning in the country on a 3 lane wideeeeeeee carriageway speeding at 70 mph mph on a 60mph road in the middle of nowhere ( Mid Wales) clear skies dry road no one else about, coppers dont use any common sense now its just "youre nicked"

Speed doesnt kill if used sensibly.

Speed cameras are there to generate income, many now being removed due to complaints or no more introduced, often put in certain positions to generate income even though govt will say there must be xyz amount of casualties before one can be erected.

Unfortunately laws are made for the absolute cretinous in society which then blight the majority.

So there is only one draconian driving law in the UK...speeding. A law introduced for the safety of all. Why do you need to drive at speeds higher than posted. Start your journey earlier rather than risk being late or dead.

walk, don't ride....

Didn't you read the other thread about injuries sustained while walking on Thai pavements/sidewalks. Let's face it as soon as you're out of your front door you're in danger no matter what form of transport you choose.
a

I'll take my chances on the pavement in my walking shoes any old day....?

I think the vastly differing perception of how good or bad the driving is in Thailand is due to a few factors, being how old one is, how long in Thailand, where and at what time one drives mostly and most importantly what you compare it with. It is all about adapting.

I have lived on Samui for 10 years since my late twenties having had plenty of driving experience throughout Europe before.

The first year in Thailand driving I had a few scary moments when noticing a danger late, because it came completely unexpected. But now I am used to the driving style and ready for anything to be thrown at me while driving and have so far never been involved in any accident. But I do acknowledge the risk as I never take the bike out for trips more than 2 or 3 km and only very rarely at night. 95% of my driving is by car, of which a considerable portion is while towing a trailer.

I hate driving in Europe because it so boring. A few times I almost fell asleep behind the wheel on long journeys. But in Thailand I actually enjoy the thrill and excitement on the road. Yes I scream at surrounding idiots all the time here, but at least it keeps me on edge constantly and it is never boring. That said I cannot drive longer than 4+4 hours per day here before I am exhausted. In Europe I regularly did 18+ hour trips with just two short tank stops during that time, then drive back the next day.

• Like 1

This thread is laughable in so many ways. I couldn't even begin to formulate an educated response to this nonsense. But I will start with this....there are more motorbikes here than cars so naturally the accident and fatality statistics will be higher with then that autos.

Thai drivers are dangerous, more so than many other countries and the stats prove it.

• Like 2

I spent 15 years working in the UAE before I moved here. The population there is about 25% Arab (Emiratis and other Arabs) and about 60% South Asian (Indians, Pakistanis, etc.)and the driving is

generally reckless, aggressive and ill-mannered. I feel more relaxed and much safer driving here, and, as the OP said, Thais seem to be pragmatic on the road and they are very courteous in comparison to the drivers in the UAE.

Courteous?????????????? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON????????????????

Without any shadow of doubt the Thai drivers are absolutely the least courteous of anywhere in the world. This statement is just laughable..i could go on but it does not merit further effort as the FACT they are the least coutreous is amply backed up by the road death toll statistics

• Like 1

Courteous?????????????? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON????????????????

Without any shadow of doubt the Thai drivers are absolutely the least courteous of anywhere in the world. This statement is just laughable..i could go on but it does not merit further effort as the FACT they are the least coutreous is amply backed up by the road death toll statistics

Ah that's more like the old ThaiVisa we all know!

I was worried that the new year was going to bring a new era of informed comment from world travelers .... but back to normal now - with added question marks for emphasis.

• Like 2

It is hoped that this definitive list will be soon be adopted as the official driving code of Thailand, in the absence of any other such known publication, so that all drivers on the road will act in strict accordance with it.

# 1. The Mercedes Benz always has right of way.

#2. The more wheels you have, the more right of way you have. (Except when Rule #1 applies.)

#3. Anything with two wheels or less does not count as a vehicle and should be disregarded completely. Even if it’s a 1800 cc Harley Davidson the size of the average Thai house.

#4. If you need to turn off, then turn off. If that means a right-angled swerve across three lanes on two wheels so you don’t miss your turn, please go ahead. We’ll just fit in with your plan. No need to indicate your intention.

#5. If in the process of executing that turn, you cause three motorcyclists and a tuk tuk to end up in the ditch, add 5 points.

#6. Indicators should only be used in the following fashion. If someone is behind you and wanting to overtake, put on your right indicator. This means either a/ it is clear and safe to overtake now or b/ don’t overtake now a bus is coming over the blind rise at a speed approaching 130km/h. It will soon become apparent which meaning was intended.

#7. Do have as many Buddhist amulets on the dashboard as possible. If you’re involved in a fatal accident, never mind — there’s always another life, and another …

#8. Traffic jams can be frustrating, so, as soon as you get any open space at all, get your vehicle to its highest possible top speed. As a guideline the rpm counter should be kept in the red zone in event of any open road.

#9. When joining a busy main road from a small side soi, proceed directly into the intersection without stopping – or even pausing – for other traffic. This selfishly indulgent act of stopping and checking will only cause confusion for those behind you, with the possible result of them rear-ending you.

#10. When on a motorcycle, do not wear a helmet, and ride as fast as the bike will possibly go while using cars, buses, elephants, and chickens as slalom course markers. Irrespective of traffic conditions, possible dangers lurking around the corner, and pedestrians foolishly crossing the road at a marked pedestrian crossing, maintain this speed (once again, the red zone on your rpm gauge is a reliable

Thanks to stu

• Like 2

The idea that in Thailand cars are built to a lower standard is a popular old wives tale on ThaiVisa

but it has little connection to reality. I used to work for Honda company and can assure you Hondas

built in Marysville, Ohio, Saitama, Japan, or Rayong, Thailand are all built to the same standards.

I don't doubt the quality is similar, but as far as standards Your Mileage May Vary. Where this "old wives tale" originates from is not build quality, but the practice of omitting some safety features in vehicles built in the emerging markets. It is clearly evident today in the safety equipment specs of the average vehicle sold in Thailand today.

More importantly, in the years long gone, buying a brand known for it's safety in the First World may not have guaranteed you the same level of protection in other markets. Missing side impact protection bars (verified by peeking under the door panel of one Japanese brand), solid tube replacing the bumper impact shock absorbers, use of lesser gauge metal in non structural areas (that nonetheless contribute to safety as crumple zones), were all practices used to cut costs. My colleague's new locally manufactured Japanese car weighted 30kg less than official weight on the C.M. airport cargo scale, while my new & imported version of the same model was 10kg over. These checks were done in response to a newspaper article (either B.P. or Nation) highlighting the problem at the time, as my colleague was furious at having paid a premium for a 'safe' brand. The negative publicity has diminished this practice .