US: California governor Jerry Brown sworn in for record fourth term

webfact

California governor sworn in for record fourth term
JUDY LIN, Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) — Democrat Jerry Brown made history Monday when he was sworn in for his fourth term as the governor of California.

The 76-year-old governor challenged the state, already a leader with far-reaching environmental laws, to set new goals for 2030 and beyond.

In the next 15 years, he proposed the state increase renewable electricity sources from one-third to 50 percent, reduce petroleum use in vehicles by 50 percent and double the efficiency of existing buildings.

He called on Republicans and Democrats to tackle the state's infrastructure needs and implement education, health care and public safety reforms.

Jerry Brown held office from 1975 to 1983 before term limits and returned for a third term in 2011. He defeated Republican challenger Neel Kashkari in a landslide re-election victory in November.

To date, Brown and Republican Earl Warren are the only California governors to serve three terms. Warren was elected to his third term in 1951 and resigned in 1953 to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court. Brown's father, Pat Brown, ran for a third term but was defeated by Ronald Reagan in 1966.

The governor said many issues that Gov. Pat Brown raised at his first inauguration in 1956 haven't gone away.

"That was 56 years ago, yet the issues that my father raised at his inauguration bear eerie resemblance to those we still grapple with today: discrimination; the quality of education and the challenge of recruiting and training teachers; the menace of air pollution, and its danger to our health; a realistic water program; economic development; consumer protection; and overcrowded prisons," Brown said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-06

• Like 1

Jerry Brown is the greatest governor California ever had. Too bad he failed in his bid to be president.

He must have learned a thing or two from his old man. The Jesuits probably taught him some lessons as well.

Then of course there was Linda Ronstadt...

• Like 1

Yes, Jerry Brown is already in the Pantheon of US governors and he still has at the least one more four-year term to further his good works.

Brown is up there with the two governors of New York state, Dewitt Clinton who put the Erie Canal through the legislature to radically change the early United States, and Nelson Rockefeller who in the mid-20th century led a quality radical expansion of the State University of New York system.

Rockefeller built the SUNY system on the model of Gov Pat Brown's education chancellor Clark Kerr who vastly expanded the University of California system to include 4-year colleges and the new concept of the 2-year community college.

Clinton, Brown, Rockefeller and Brown, the premier governors of the United States. Honorable mention to 12-time Governor of Massachusetts John Winthrop who founded Boston and summoned his fellow citizens to build a shining City upon a Hill.

• Like 2

76 and still power hungry. The name of the book is "Hunde wollt Ihr ewig leben" Prof Gruber was right, Americans are stupid. Of course the same goes every other country that is "semi free"

That feels generic anti-American rather than Jerry Brown specific.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if he would just kill the stupid high speed train idea then he could go down as a great Gov !

this train is going in around Fresno to no where someplace !

the billions could be better spent on other things

or at least drill a tunnel from the Bakersfield side to the LA side of the mountain and not go 100 miles around it

They just love to force us to do things they want their name on !

Although the press love to paint Jerry Brown as a wild-eyed leftist nutcase, if you actually look at the things he does, he is one of the most sensible, practical politicians around.

Yeah, I guess so...though, only because he was doin Linda before she got fat!

Although the press love to paint Jerry Brown as a wild-eyed leftist nutcase, if you actually look at the things he does, he is one of the most sensible, practical politicians around.

I thought the press stopped doing that decades ago. Governor Moonbeam indeed.

I met gov Brown years ago. He would get flown in a copter up to the tiny hippie town (population 123) I was residing in (one of the pot growing centers of western US), and bang a single mom (4 kiddies) friend of mine. I'd drop by, hang out a bit, talk about things. Cool cat. Once, he was filling her car (no pun intended) at the only gas pump in town. Then, after paying, he drove off without taking out the nozzle. He didn't realize it until he got back to the lady's house.