best quality small wire cutters for jewelry in CM

Xa1

for jewelry making small wire cutters are needed

the quality of the steel is the issue as contact with other metals, usually brass or nickel based wire can wear out the cutting edge

a pair I paid over 400 B for in Bkk have worn out, which surprises me since the label says they are Japanese

you don't necessarily get the best tools at jewelry supply shops though

does anyone know of a source for strong wire cutters in Chiang Mai? and what brand is best?

Don't believe they are "Made in Japan" just because they say they are. I met a guy selling surgical instruments here. Some said "Made in Pakistan" while others said "Made in Germany". He told me that they were all made in Pakistan in the same factory but that many people would pay much more money for the ones that said they were "Made in Germany".

I can't say for sure if they have what you need but I've found that Nana Screw on the road going from the moat to JJ Market has higher quality tools than any other places. I don't think they stock any Chinese tools which I hate.

Don't believe they are "Made in Japan" just because they say they are. I met a guy selling surgical instruments here. Some said "Made in Pakistan" while others said "Made in Germany". He told me that they were all made in Pakistan in the same factory but that many people would pay much more money for the ones that said they were "Made in Germany".

I was just sold some clippers that the iron-monger assured me were made in Germany. He would not budge from 380 B. They were not even as good as my worn out Japanese label pair that I am looking to replace.

Nana Screw on the road going from the moat to JJ Market has higher quality tools than any other places. I don't think they stock any Chinese tools which I hate.

Can you clarify this location a bit more? Do you mean Thapae road going east away from the moat toward the river? Where is JJ Market?

I use a pair of small nail cutters (like miniature side cutters) for fine stuff and where I need to get in close. For heavier wire and where a need an accurate cut I often use a fine wood chisel against a wood block. Easy to sharpen. I also picked up a nice pair of cutters from a guitar shop that does repairs and sells stuff to people that make guitars (you can get them online) They are for cutting guitar strings, excellent quality but were expensive.

• Like 1

I was just sold some clippers that the iron-monger assured me were made in Germany. He would not budge from 380 B. They were not even as good as my worn out Japanese label pair that I am looking to replace.

Nana Screw on the road going from the moat to JJ Market has higher quality tools than any other places. I don't think they stock any Chinese tools which I hate.

Can you clarify this location a bit more? Do you mean Thapae road going east away from the moat toward the river? Where is JJ Market?

From the northeast corner of the moat go north. Nana Screw is on the left hand side about 50 meters up.

Edited by grin
  • Like 1

Amorn ,has lots of small cutting tools,made in China,

regards Worgeordie

Where is Amorn, please?

I know of two locations:

Big C on Hang Dong Road, interior store on the east side of the north end of the first floor.

Big C Extra on Super Highway, exterior store on the north end, entries from the parking area on both the east and west sides.

Grin

Amorn ,has lots of small cutting tools,made in China,

regards Worgeordie

Where is Amorn, please?

I know of two locations:

Big C on Hang Dong Road, interior store on the east side of the north end of the first floor.

Big C Extra on Super Highway, exterior store on the north end, entries from the parking area on both the east and west sides.

Grin

I operate inside the old city and down toward the river at Worarot market.

Where is Hang Dong rd relative to this?

Amorn may be a chain of electrical supply stores, they may have a branch at Icon Square along the moat.