Thais And Politics

tuky

I have just had an interesting debate with my wife...her English is not so good so I have found it hard to point to the facts to back up my debate topic.

Do any of you guys know where I can find a website in phasa Thai that will show the actual truth about Thailands governing body? ie show both side so we can debate without her misunderstanding me...

We have spoken for an hour now, and I asked her to check on the TRT progress, she said "how, I do not know how to check what they have done, or what they are doing"...any assistance here? as I said, Phasa Thai is the what I need, englich will not work...another case of stupid farang I think (and about 6 big changs).

But, the TRT website itself is not sufficient, we need an indipendant body.

Please help us.

I have just had an interesting debate with my wife...her English is not so good so I have found it hard to point to the facts to back up my debate topic.

Do any of you guys know where I can find a website in phasa Thai that will show the actual truth about Thailands governing body? ie show both side so we can debate without her misunderstanding me...

We have spoken for an hour now, and I asked her to check on the TRT progress, she said "how, I do not know how to check what they have done, or what they are doing"...any assistance here? as I said, Phasa Thai is the what I need, englich will not work...another case of stupid farang I think (and about 6 big changs).

Please help us.

My Pen Rai.

There would be more peace in the house if we never discussed Thai politics in the house with the wife/GF.

I speak from experience.

Cheers. :o

(and about 6 big changs).

It shows,... :o  :D

Bluecat, point taken, but some of the best debates I have been envlovled with have been spontaneous after a few changs.

My Pen Rai.

There would be more peace in the house if we never discussed Thai politics in the house with the wife/GF.

I speak from experience.

Cheers. 

understood, but what does one do?

read my siganture....you will see how I feel...

tukyleith...did you marry your wife in the hopes that you would later be able to discuss Thai politics and political philosophy in general? I think not. All I can get from my wife are local scandals and she considers me with bemusement when I rail and thunder about EGAT privatisation and the problems in the southern provinces...

tukyleith...did you marry your wife in the hopes that you would later be able to discuss Thai politics and political philosophy in general? I think not. All I can get from my wife are local scandals and she considers me with bemusement when I rail and thunder about EGAT privatisation and the problems in the southern provinces...

Tutsi, your a classic. has it never come up with you and your wife?

I actually enjoy an expressive relationahip with my other half, granted we cannot exchange the same ideas in the vocab myself and a western lady could, but we have fun while we are at it, I am just after a couple of hints to help my lady see that the TRT isn't the only party in the country.

Listenning to you, I am sure you would not settle for a tinglish only relationship, you have more brains than that...what do you do?

interested....

I would rest on this one.

If you could have seen what went on around my province at election time. Handouts of nearly new pickup truck, gold, and dosh. Bus and train expenses to vote for me, they were freely telling the families. that sort of thing.... yet its all forgotten now.

Just another day in world politics my friend. it happens here and there. talking about it over beer is like bashing your head against a wall.

Thai Politics is an art form all to its own. The Changwat my wife is from was conducting local elections a while back - actually it was the Tambon some of her family is from. Anyhow, this local dude was running for Headman and he was going around with the standard line w/$ and handing out one flip-flop.

Promised to give out the other one if he got elected! :o

Try Thairath (newspaper) for a handle on the Thai slant but there's a lot of slang words to overcome.

Tutsi, your a classic. has it never come up with you and your wife?

I actually enjoy an expressive relationahip with my other half, granted we cannot exchange the same ideas in the vocab myself and a western lady could, but we have fun while we are at it, I am just after a couple of hints to help my lady see that the TRT isn't the only party in the country.

Listenning to you, I am sure you would not settle for a tinglish only relationship, you have more brains than that...what do you do?

interested....

He uses Braille in the hong norn :o

Better to save discussions of topics political with trusted farang of the same political leaning. "Rich getting richer, poor getting poorer"......all Thais will understand that though and might make you some new friends too........or enemies. Be careful.

I'm still waiting to meet my first Thai who is really passionate about politics. I've had plenty of Thai friends say 'There's nothing we can do. Its better we just try to make a living.'

And they are probably right.

Election is a question of number. The more votes you get, the better your chances to be elected.

The people you talk to are educated Thai people, what percentage of the population do they represent?

The vast majority of the Thai voters are little educated and have no possibility to forge any "educated" opinion about the candidates.

Hence, so far, money is the key factor, the money you give and the money you promise to give,...

If your wife is interested, have her check out the most popular Thai forum, www.pantip.com.

I think this one hits it on the head.

Great thread, btw; and the site is valid.

I'd venture to guess that most mia Thai don't care much for discussion politics; let alone what their husband thinks about Thai politics, which is--for the most part--none of their business.

It's the immigration and visa laws though that affect all farangs living and working in Thailand; and the wives should very interested in that. Thai's love a good story, but would like to trust that Khun Thaksin is taking care of things for them.

What's that sound, the roar of a thousand irrate farangs who have an opinion about Khun Thaksin? Too bad... your opinions don't count.

My suggestion is to get some guy friends to drink beer with and talk politics. Talk about love with the wife she'll love you more.

XXOO,

MP

tukyleith...despite Dr PPs brutal allegation that I masturbate in dark rooms I use my time as an unemployed engineer to stay informed about current issues. My wife has found it easier to learn pidgin English than I have to learn basic street thai such that there is a reasonable repartee. She does have to hide the children when I start to jump up and down when there are wars and stuff...

Yeah, tell her how impressed you are that your socks are so white or that the kai jeow was absolutely divine. Simple pleasures in life are more satisfying to be noticed and appreciated. But politics? Unfortunately, even if you were to have the language skills between you to discuss politics, our backgrounds and idea base are so vastly different that in the end she'd probably have you hauled off to jail if she truly understood what you meant.

Please help us.

Interesting for who? Is anyone really interested in being 'proved' wrong - i mean is it possible to have such conversations in this country other than in certain elite circles and this aint one of them. Your wife sounds a gem - for petes sake cut her some slack.

dkstoney...you talkin' to me?...if so I am afraid that we now have on our hands a maniac more drunken and incoherent than yours truely. I don't wear socks in Thailand as it is hot and I don't have to anyway...kao jai???...I thought that the sex act was usually referred to as <deleted>-<deleted>.

Generally speaking it is a good idea to try and understand the local political process where ever one happens to live...one would be stupid to presume that everyone everywhere performs an exhaustive analysis prior to casting ones vote and that the western democratic model is generally adhered to. In the local provincial elections recently my wife voted for someone that is tight with the family...he is not TRT and I was glad but I did not further the discussion in that regard.

In the West liberal democracies are held in high esteem and idiots like Dubya declare that the world should be free of people that think otherwise. I declare that that when voters do not have the intelligence and inclination to look at the issues (ie., keeps my taxes low so I'm OK and etc.) that they are a hazard and easily manipulated by filthy businessmen and advertising agencies to insure that the worst possible scenario would prevail.

But...not to dither...dk donkey...if you were talkin' to me then lets have it...sober up first...

Please help us.

Interesting for who? Is anyone really interested in being 'proved' wrong - i mean is it possible to have such conversations in this country other than in certain elite circles and this aint one of them. Your wife sounds a gem - for petes sake cut her some slack.

Actually, the debate I had the other night started something.

Her Father and Mother live with us, and we were all included in the debate (via translation in most parts). Her folks had never even thought that they might need to think about politics, but now they are asking me questions all the time (especially after a few changs). I think this is great, as they had never questioned politics and leadership before. If nothing else I have had an intellectual debate with my in-laws and they have listened to me. I have come to have a new respect for them, as I hope they have for me.

Maverick, I cut my wife some slack, we send our washing to a cleaner :D:D

Yeah, tell her how impressed you are that your socks are so white or that the kai jeow was absolutely divine. Simple pleasures in life are more satisfying to be noticed and appreciated. But politics? Unfortunately, even if you were to have the language skills between you to discuss politics, our backgrounds and idea base are so vastly different that in the end she'd probably have you hauled off to jail if she truly understood what you meant.

To be honest, If I could not have an in depth debate with my wife I should never have bothered marrying her.

I would need to tell the local cleaner that I am impressed with my socks, because she (my wife) won't cleam em, (don't blame her, even my own feet complain) and her "Kia Jeow" used to be fabulous, but now she is too scared to buy eggs, because the chicken flu problem was not handled well? perhaps?

I thank everyone for their input, and I chastise anyone who thinks their wife/girlfriend is their maid.

Give it a try guys, aproach it with reason of course but perhaps you will be surprised by how interested your other half and her family acually are. :o

dkstoney...you talkin' to me?...if so I am afraid that we now have on our hands a maniac more drunken and incoherent than yours truely. I don't wear socks in Thailand as it is hot and I don't have to anyway...kao jai???...I thought that the sex act was usually referred to as <deleted>-<deleted>.

Generally speaking it is a good idea to try and understand the local political process where ever one happens to live...one would be stupid to presume that everyone everywhere performs an exhaustive analysis prior to casting ones vote and that the western democratic model is generally adhered to. In the local provincial elections recently my wife voted for someone that is tight with the family...he is not TRT and I was glad but I did not further the discussion in that regard.

In the West liberal democracies are held in high esteem and idiots like Dubya declare that the world should be free of people that think otherwise. I declare that that when voters do not have the intelligence and inclination to look at the issues (ie., keeps my taxes low so I'm OK and etc.) that they are a hazard and easily manipulated by filthy businessmen and advertising agencies to insure that the worst possible scenario would prevail.

But...not to dither...dk donkey...if you were talkin' to me then lets have it...sober up first...

Even though I think he was talking to me Tutsi, I thank you for your help...

You hit the nail on the head mate...

Who truly wants a lap dog? if if you do now, how long will it last???

food for thought guys.