what bike

salavan

hi

im looking to buy a new mountain bike, just for road use, can anyone recomend something strong is it possible to get something around 15,000 baht my previous bikes seem to fall apart, but then they were the chinese sort

so many different types im confussed.

thanks for any help.

You might look at a Bianchi Kuma. I have seen them priced from about 17,000 Baht in BKK depending on the parts used. Standard triple chain ring, 9-speed rear sprocket setup--more than enough gears for you. A bit heavy, but that is to be expected in this price range. Tires are geared more towards road use. Check it out.

Why would you buy an MTB to use on the road? You'd be better looking at a hybrid something similar to a Specialized Sirrus

I wouldn't think he means a full blown 8" travel downhill bike.

To the op you are not likely to get something with 6 gears, you can modify an 18 speed by having only 1 sprocket (chain wheel) on the front and have 6 on the back

but most bikes now have more on the rear, but you'll need them.

Edited by kaorop

Why would you buy an MTB to use on the road? You'd be better looking at a hybrid something similar to a Specialized Sirrus

Well road in Thailand, I guess he means road without asphalt/concrete. Some can be very rough and high up and down.....

Well road in Thailand, I guess he means road without asphalt/concrete. Some can be very rough and high up and down.....

More than well aware of that, having lived here over 10 years, however it still doesn't make a mountain bike the right choice :-)

You might look at a Bianchi Kuma. I have seen them priced from about 17,000 Baht in BKK depending on the parts used. Standard triple chain ring, 9-speed rear sprocket setup--more than enough gears for you. A bit heavy, but that is to be expected in this price range. Tires are geared more towards road use. Check it out.

i have seen a bianchi duel for 12,500 baht new what would this be like? i dont know much about bikes

i have seen a bianchi duel for 12,500 baht new what would this be like? i dont know much about bikes

One of these? https://www.tcabicycle.com/what-is-news/news-blog/bianchi-duel-27-1-2015-bianchi.html?___store=th&___from_store=en

If so, looks a good price for what you're getting. Definitely a good place to start riding, and it shouldn't fall apart on you if you keep it maintained.

See if the bike shop will let you test ride it, and buy it if you like it!

I've mentioned on a few other posts, the most important thing is to be comfortable on the bike. What other people say comes secondary to that, if your not comfy, you'll quickly give up riding and it'll be left in a corner gathering dust.

Edited by moonoi
  • Like 1

Trek FX 7.2 (RRP 18k), should be able to buy it from ProBike BKK for 15k.

Hybrid, best value in it's class. Just right for roads and tracks in Thailand.

MTBs not good for roads, standing cycling posn., tires too fat with heavy road resistance.

Hybrid for roads and smooth tracks, sitting upright cycling posn. and slimmer tires for easy pedaling.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

More than well aware of that, having lived here over 10 years, however it still doesn't make a mountain bike the right choice :-)

Might be the right choice for the OP, as that is what he is asking about. Maybe it is exactly what he needs for where he lives ?

You can get a reasonably good MTB for that price and put some semi slick tyres on it, best of both worlds.

MTBs not good for roads, standing cycling posn., tires too fat with heavy road resistance.

Hybrid for roads and smooth tracks, sitting upright cycling posn. and slimmer tires for easy pedaling.

Just I would avoid Probike in Bangkok.....Good bikes, good price, zero service (at least when the wrong staff is on duty...)

• 2 weeks later...

I ride an Haro 29er hybrid with narrowish tyres 700 x 35

perfect for roads but useless on sand or jungle tracks.

I could put the big tyres back on for the jungle tracks though but its my preference for the 700 x 35 road tyres that give less drag, increased road speed and less exhaustion on longish runs on the quiest roads around Pattayas rural backwaters

NumChai the cycle dealer in pattaya is selling a similar Haro to mine for 12K Baht

I really am pleased with my bike having used it now for over 2 and a half years

• 3 weeks later...

Just I would avoid Probike in Bangkok.....Good bikes, good price, zero service (at least when the wrong staff is on duty...)

I have found their service to be the best in country that I have found? Always very helpful, and not too expensive. (Unlike some of their bikes, one was going for 600,000THB this week!)