2014 tourist arrivals to Thailand drop by 6.6 percent

webfact

"Kobkarn attributed the decline in tourist arrivals and revenues to the political crisis in Thailand during "the first half of 2014," in which parts of Bangkok were paralyzed by street protests that aimed to topple the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra." Quote

Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that delivering a third class product and charging for first class??

Tourists are not stupid, and have finally started to vote with their feet!!

Must be hard for the Thais to realize, that there are better and cheaper options to LOS!!

Such as?

Well, Vietnam certainly is cheaper...not quite sure about "better". Many North Americans are now going to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Honduras.

I guess many Americans don't know that Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world.

Right, I've noticed that nobody has said something like "they are living in their own dream world, only a 6.6 per cent drop, more like a 26.6 per cent drop, and that drop is mainly due to less Europeans and Americans turning up". Good.

Looking at some of the comments that have been put up by people during the last few months, you'd have thought they're talking about a place that has suffered a massive drop in visitors, not a small drop of 6 or 7 per cent.

So, is the 6.6 per cent drop believable ? Is it true ? Bearing in mind the coup, martial law, supposed clamping down on permanent tourists from Europe and America, and all the other negative news, I'd say a 6.6 per cent drop is okay, it could have been a lot worse. I'd prefer it if people would stop turning up here on Thai Visa, and trying to make it look like that Thailand is a crap place for a holiday. Thank you !!

Some valid points.

I'm living my dream. I enjoy most of the banter on TV and try to ignore the hateful, sordid and uncivil posts.

Thailand, is not unlike most of the places I have lived. There is good, better and best here. There is also bad, worse and repulsive.

I opt to focus on the good, better and best. The rest tends to fade into the background.

• Like 2

its English prices plus now, for booze, must be a hell of a mark up on a bottle of beer , and eating out, is not cheap anymore, (forget street food ok). i am not going to bother quoting prices as some smart alec will be along to say different but we all know this,

Not a bad drop in numbers when you consider the coup, tourist murders, the bombings down south, and Bangkok's growing search & shakedown reputation.

That's Jomtien in pic? Haven't been there in years, looks like the beach is getting real narrow. One planeload of fat tourists all go in the water at the same time and the sea will reach the sidewalk laugh.png

Looks more like Naklua to me...if you look in the distance you can see the Pattaya Park Tower.

But wherever it is, I would say numbers are down a lot more than 6.6%. Just ask any of the shop/restaurant/beer bar owners who have been forced to close recently here in Pattaya. I'm sure they wouldn't have closed due to that small figure.

Edit to say...unless the photo has been posted back to front.

Edited by monspencer

"Kobkarn attributed the decline in tourist arrivals and revenues to the political crisis in Thailand during "the first half of 2014," in which parts of Bangkok were paralyzed by street protests that aimed to topple the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra." Quote

Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that delivering a third class product and charging for first class??

Must be hard for the Thais to realize, that there are better and cheaper options to LOS!!

Such as?

Such as....Vietnam for sure, Philippines, Cambodia, Costa Rica...just to name a few.

Edited by Alan653

Right, I've noticed that nobody has said something like "they are living in their own dream world, only a 6.6 per cent drop, more like a 26.6 per cent drop, and that drop is mainly due to less Europeans and Americans turning up". Good.

Looking at some of the comments that have been put up by people during the last few months, you'd have thought they're talking about a place that has suffered a massive drop in visitors, not a small drop of 6 or 7 per cent.

So, is the 6.6 per cent drop believable ? Is it true ? Bearing in mind the coup, martial law, supposed clamping down on permanent tourists from Europe and America, and all the other negative news, I'd say a 6.6 per cent drop is okay, it could have been a lot worse. I'd prefer it if people would stop turning up here on Thai Visa, and trying to make it look like that Thailand is a crap place for a holiday. Thank you !!

Some valid points.

I'm living my dream. I enjoy most of the banter on TV and try to ignore the hateful, sordid and uncivil posts.

Thailand, is not unlike most of the places I have lived. There is good, better and best here. There is also bad, worse and repulsive.

I opt to focus on the good, better and best. The rest tends to fade into the background.

So in other word's,,,,just pretend it doesn't exist (the bad, worse, repulsive) just like the thai's do!

Edited by Alan653
  • Like 1

Here in Phuket not nearly as many international tourists as before like the Brits, French, Italians, Swedes etc. Now it is mainly buses pumping out horrible black smoke full of loud mouthed Chinese going from Chinese shops etc and the Russians setting up property businesses etc. I was on Kata beach over New Year and the only foreign language I heard was Russian. Most of those tourists booked months ago but with the Russian economy in a mess now and with oil below $50 is not going to get better soon, therefore the number of Russian tourists will be much lower this quarter and indeed year compared to last year.

Edited by FiestyFarang

Must be hard for the Thais to realize, that there are better and cheaper options to LOS!

Just a little curious if tourists are not stupid How come it took them so long to find

out that it was a third class product? Is there a chance you are wrong. The traveling

I have done in Thailand though not extensive I have yet to pay first class fares

except on the occasional flight.

Some valid points.

You must not drive the streets then... You have a driver?

Such as?

Vietnam Beaches - Phu Quoc / Da Nang

Phillipine Beaches - Boracay / Cebu

Indonesia Beaches - Bali - Nusa Dua / Sanur / Seminyak-Legian-Seminyak

Malaysia Beaches - Langkawi / Penang / Tioman Island

Madame, we all know that your only interest is filling Thais wallets.

You may want to have an after dinner drink with Prajuth and suggest to consider having foreigners own a couple of rai . You will be amazed how that will fill your so beloved wallets.

And while you are at it you may want to suggest to get rid of the 90 -day get lost nonsence and add all that to your list of thainess which you are promoting and celebrating at this moment.

Such as?

Here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790135-pattaya-robbers-crash-russian-tourists-romantic-evening/

ahh..sorry, that was in LOS.

A drop of 6.6% is total BS. They say 24.7 million tourists for the year when just awhile ago they said had only 19.5 million tourists as of end of oct. So we got 5 million tourist visits in 2 months? I don't think so. And they always say numbers are down because of the protests in begining half of the year -----more like the takeover by military , curfews, martial law and warnings by many Governements not to travel here even thought some warnings retracted later--oh yeh unable to get travel insurance in country under marial law.

Bad side is whithout the many tourists to fleece, the bar girls, ladyboys, ect now will steal, assult , kill to get the money they could easily get before.

Such as?

Cambodia

I imagine the drop in tourism can be attributed to other things such as scams, death islands, road death toll, no police force, no rule of law and the fact that thailand is no longer a value destination rather than political crisis or martial law,

Fact is the way thailand treats tourists i dont think they deserve any coming here.

Fact is the way Thailand pushes for more arrogance, more racism, more human rights violatins and discriminates any and everyone who is "Not" Thai, they don't deserve to be even considered.

Such as?

In SE Asia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia - Sri Lanka and the Maldives and fhe Seychelles.

In Europe, anywhere on the Mediterranean and Caribbean, not to mention Brazil, Cuba and Costa Riica -

all of which are closer to Europe than SE Asia.

Officially 6.6% ? My a**! I wish it was true for Thailand, It's probably 26.6%!

I wish it was 26.6%, this year, and the next year a further 20% increase on that, and the next year. ;-) That may well come true. Considering the pace at which foreigners get slaughtered and ripped off in this holy country, these numbers may no longer stay utopia.

Edited by Harleys

I imagine the drop in tourism can be attributed to other things such as scams, death islands, road death toll, no police force, no rule of law and the fact that thailand is no longer a value destination rather than political crisis or martial law,

Fact is the way thailand treats tourists i dont think they deserve any coming here.

All of the item you have listed have been identical thru the past 15 years that i know of.... and for the past 15 years tourism numbers have been going up and up.

I don't think people have just noticed them and stopped coming...

(and of course people that have never been her before still don't know these problems exist, until they arrive).

personally knowing my wife's business numbers, the coup and martial law has decrease the number of inquires, compared the past few years.

Who cares about how the numbers went up in the past 15 years? Who are you, a bought brainwash machine imported from China? With more people actually "talking, showing, writing" about this eroding piece of land, Thailand will face another 15 years from now, onwards, no doubt. The heydays are over for them. Now they will reap what thye planted the past 15 years. Nobody to balme but themselves.

But hang on. With their arrogance they will sure find someone else to blame. And that attribute alone will drive "People" away, and numbers down. Go to your favorite bar, have a few more beer and watch it happen ;-)

I am over thailand, all this news is boring, its the same regurgitated crap over and over again.... the majority of thais working in the industry are uneducated criminals who have shot themselves in the foot, by scamming, bashing and murdering their "bread and butter".... ie the farang tourists and ex-pats spending their hard earned cash... SHAME Thailand i have seen u go down hill fast, but you are too stupid to realize what you are doing.... I hope the inept morons in control finally understand what their lies, deceit and inability to look after their livelihoods have done to their tourist economy..... OH wait, that will never happen.. rofl

Can't wait to see the figures at the end of 2015,especially if there is going to be another coup. The land of smiles has had its day. Corruption,scams,shake downs, and greed are the order of the day for the Thai people.Still there is hope if the Chinese tour groups can get their act together and stop carrying their shopping bags into the hotel breakfast buffets and learn a few diplomatic niceties .............and pigs will fly.

I know many wishful thinkers hope numbers drop further so that Thais will appreciate those of us who are still here, but I am not that optimistic about "Thai logic". Probably even more resentment on smaller group, blaming us for reduced numbers of tourists. If they were to examine their contribution to lowered numbers (as cited above), could develop and implement steps to correct those shortcomings.... ah who am I kidding? Thai logic.

The Thai tourism authority seems to blame many areas for the drop in tourists. They still thought Thailand rules the tourism industry in the South East Asia, yes but that was 30 years ago! Their income from tourism at Phuket & Pattaya has to thank their own police on their "extra generosity" towards the Russians in particular.

• Like 1