Temperature gauge

tmaker

what i found from Dr.Bike is this...

you remove your engine oil Dipstick ( where you fill in your engine oil ) and stick this one in.

but how to monitor when you're riding ? lol....need to look down all the time ?

post-162022-0-32019500-1420708716_thumb.

not sure which is easier to fix.

i am thinking of fixing it to the engine block - not drilling and puncturing the block though !!

-------------------

it's like this.

got myself a Steed - blow my top - sort of, a thread somewhere that i started.

SOME THINGS I LEARNT ABOUT THAI MECHANIC 'LANGUAGE'

when they say :

1. everything is OK - means they think but not sure

2. all checked and they're good - means they only see and check what they think is good enough

3. ok,i will do - means they will check and do if you're there to see to it - they'll say it's ALL OK if you are not around.

4. ok, i will check - means they will test with their 'superhuman' strength ' - e.g. tire pressure,front/rear suspension correct pressure/oil level.

Gosh...... and more...

---------------------------

so.

what happened is i asked the mechanic when i took delivery of my bike -

1. how often must i check the radiator water level and where/how to see,

2. is the thermostat and fan working ?

so ,the reply is as above - All checked and all ok !! you only need to see maybe once a month.

Where i asked ?

he says to open the side cover where the radiator is and top up . WHEW !! a mechanic and he do not even know where and how to top up !!!!

So, i started to use my bike and i fell the engine is getting hotter by the day. i ASKED HIM ,...and he says ---oh , BIG BIKE !!!!

then i asked , did you check the thermostat ? cos there is a TEMP light on my speedo meter.

then all the bull came running out....oh i am busy, no time ...have no time....all ok !!! no worry !!!

so, one day i decided to go to another shop - actually i already went to a new shop many times already - pissed off with the old mechanic reply.

got a shock of my life WHEN THEY REMOVED THE THERMOSTAT AND THE RADIATOR IS ALL DRIED UP !!!

so,he changed the thermostat and top up the water,the fan starts operating when the temp goes up and asked me to test for a week before putting in the coolant and showed me the 'spare' water tank and top up cap.

it is located at the right side cover under the seat - you just remove the cover and can easily top up the water. -- PHEW....

------------------------------------------

so. i want to fix a gauge to 'monitor' the temp...that's all.... better safe than sorry.

My previous post/suggestion was what I did (& many others do) on a Steed specifically. I found my engine running very hot and although after new Thermo fitted & flushed out, the fan hardly ever engaged. Solution was to tap into wiring and fit a manual switch on a chrome bracket in a easy accessible place.

My previous post/suggestion was what I did (& many others do) on a Steed specifically. I found my engine running very hot and although after new Thermo fitted & flushed out, the fan hardly ever engaged. Solution was to tap into wiring and fit a manual switch on a chrome bracket in a easy accessible place.

or perhaps i can also add in a timer to on/off the fan at certain intervals.

lol....

or perhaps i can also add in a timer to on/off the fan at certain intervals.

lol....

Yeah and a Teas-maid!!!!

You may be able to get a thermostat that opens earlier. It is also an easy enough thing to wire a fan switch so you can turn the fan on. BUT the best thing is to ensure that the radiator is clean inside and out then use Honda ready mixed coolant (it helps to keep the Rad clean)

PS : to clean the outside of the radiator you can use the liquid they use to clean exterior aircon.

Edited by casualbiker

Back in the day they made a version which fit between your spark plug and the top of the cylinder head. Strictly mechanical, no wiring required except for the gauge light.

Used them on our free air sleds - don't know if available anymore or not