UK shows interest in Thai mega-projects

webfact

INVESTMENT

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The United Kingdom is keen on investing in Thailand's mega-transportation projects, ranging from double-track railways and airports to seaports.

That interest came out of a meeting of Transport Minister Prajin Juntong and UK Ambassador Mark Kent.

Prajin will propose to the Cabinet the development of Pak Bara Port, which could be promoted as Asean's logistics hub.

Ports slated for improvement are Map Ta Phut in Rayong, Laem Chabang in Chon Buri, Pak Bara in Satun and Songkhla 2 in Songkhla. The Da Wei Deep Sea Port's development is also included.

Recently, the government approved the national transportation and logistics strategic plan with an investment of Bt3.4 trillion over eight years.

Prajin said his ministry would ask the UK government representative to discuss with its deputy permanent secretary and the State Railway of Thailand about the parallel-track railway project in detail and with Airports of Thailand Plc about the improvement of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The Marine Department has been asked to proceed with the Pak Bara Port project's strategic environment assessment and economic and social impact analysis.

The project's proposed budget is about Bt50 million and construction is expected to commence next year.

The construction of both sea ports - Pak Bara and Songkhla 2 - is part of the government's logistics strategy, which includes the two ports, railway, road and land bridge linking the Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea, to promote it as Asean's sea-transport hub.

However, there are reportedly protests from social activists and communities over likely adverse impacts from the construction of the ports and heavy industry at marine tourism spots.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/UK-shows-interest-in-Thai-mega-projects-30251522.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-09

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm waiting for some members to explain why the UK government will assist it's industrial powers to try to get a piece of the cake and deal with what some like to describe as a 'pariah state'.

How nice to be principled alt=ermm.gif>

Given the history of these sorts of "reports" you'd need to be a very, very brave - or very gullible - person to believe this. These are the very same people who announced that Obama was thrilled that the regime was "returning Thailand to happiness".

Still, you seem to find the story credible.

Well, he has a point, the British government is interested in boosting its involvement in overseas developments.

The British government, as history has shown, is highly principled and capable of speaking out of both sides of the mouth.

• Like 2

Diplomatic speak is always total B/S I wish they wouldn't report this crap , it just makes both sides look like big moves are under way in reality there is nothing happening at all and if there was it would be done by private business, not the UK Ambassador. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Britain keen on Thai rail and port projects

9-1-2558-10-39-28-wpcf_723x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's mega infrastructure projects have drawn overseas interest with the United Kingdom becoming the latest country wanting to become joint venturer.

Interest from the UK came after South Korea has also shown strong interest to invest in the high speed rail project in addition to Japan and China which has won government’s approval in the dual-track train project.

China is the first country to be awarded the rail project, laying a dual-track 1.435 metre gauge rail route from Nong Khai province to the Map Ta Phut port in Rayong province and Bangkok.

Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong revealed that the British ambassador to Thailand Mr Mark Kent has called on him and conveyed Britain’s interest in investing in large-scale infrastructure projects.

Prajin said he informed the ambassador about plans for more rail lines, Suvarnabhumi airport expansion, and new ports planned for Satun and Songkhla provinces in the South.

Britain is keen to invest in infrastructure including the double-rail track project and Suvarnabhumi airport expansion, he said.

The double-track service will come with new 1.435-metre standard gauge tracks while Suvaranabhumi airport needs an additional runway and parking bays.

It also is interested in investing in major seaports, the Map Ta Phut industrial complex in Rayong, Laem Chabang port in Chonburi, the proposed Pak Bara project in Satun and the Songkhla 2 seaport.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/britain-keen-thai-rail-port-projects

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-09

British colonization could'nt be such a bad idea, albeit a hundred years too late.

Not sure if Thailand has forgiven Britain for "stealing" Shan State, that is currently part of Myanmar (albeit reluctantly, according to many of the locals up there) and the north-western portions of Malaysia, both of which were formerly under Siamese administration.

I always ponder to myself what Thailand could look like if it weren't for European colonization of it's neighbors? Would Thailand be almost twice as big as it currently is? Something to ponder about...

• Like 2

They can show interest all they like, the closest they'll get is to come over and watch the Chinese assemble the train set.

Hey!! Be nice! I have shown interest in a a set of Thai twin girls here and then f Australia thinks Thailand had mega projects they should attempt this. Unfortunately it was only interest and I wasn't really trying to get involved with those twins. Just making a show for them. Heheee. Maybe Australia is doing the same?

British colonization could'nt be such a bad idea, albeit a hundred years too late.

Not sure if Thailand has forgiven Britain for "stealing" Shan State, that is currently part of Myanmar (albeit reluctantly, according to many of the locals up there) and the north-western portions of Malaysia, both of which were formerly under Siamese administration.

I always ponder to myself what Thailand could look like if it weren't for European colonization of it's neighbors? Would Thailand be almost twice as big as it currently is? Something to ponder about...

It's role as a buffer state between the British interests in Burma and Malaya and the French in Indo China kept it safe. Now if the Brits and French had chosen to squabble Thailand could quite easily have been carved up. Imagine Burma and Malaya having a common border to cement the British Influence and provide an uninterrupted route all the way from India to Malaya.

• Like 1

Didn't the RAF bomb Bangkok in WW2? I dont think that will look good on their CV.

Why would you bother bidding for any major contract in Thailand anyway. Are they going to pay you?

Have the Germans and others been paid for their participation in the 15 year old BTS sky train system.

What about Austrian Steyr CO. have they been paid for the fire trucks and interest payments dating back many years ?

TIT ..... foreigners shouldnt invest money here or even buy a house. Toyota ,Honda ,GM etc can afford it and they probably dont pay any tax.

Thais like taking OPM. Thais dont like paying bills.................you pay ! LOL

Edited by jalansanitwong

Can't wait to hear Mark Kent's side of the story. I don't doubt it will differ somewhat.

I wish he, and so many others representing their country, would stop being so damned diplomatic and come out with a denial, even a discreetly worded one but where there's no doubt the Thais are at it.

• Like 1

Can't wait to hear Mark Kent's side of the story. I don't doubt it will differ somewhat.

I wish he, and so many others representing their country, would stop being so damned diplomatic and come out with a denial, even a discreetly worded one but where there's no doubt the Thais are at it.

They've done nothing recently but put words in other "countries" mouths to bolster support/accreditation for themselves, with nothing ever coming from the country mentioned to confirm or deny whatever they say. I also dearly wish the "UK" would simply state for once that hey, that's not what we said or agreed to.

• Like 2

Britain wants a piece of action in Thailand’s infrastructure development

BANGKOK, 9 Jan 2015 (NNT) – Britain has expressed her interest in investing in Thailand's infrastructure development, says the Transport Minister.

Speaking after a meeting with British Ambassador to Thailand, H.E. Mr. Mark Kent, Transport Minister Prajin Juntong disclosed that the projects which caught the attention of the British government included the construction of double track railways, the overhaul of the bay, the runway of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, the development of Maptaphut port in Rayong province and Laem Chabang deep sea port in Chonburi province, and Pak Bara Pier in Satun province.

The Transport Minister will later invite the British government’s representative to discuss details of the cooperation with Transport Ministry Deputy Permanent-Secretary Chartchai Tipsunave, the State Railway of Thailand, and Airports of Thailand (AOT).

According to the Air Chief Marshal, he has instructed the Port Authority of Thailand to map out details of the development plan, which will be submitted to the cabinet for an approval of a 50-million-baht budget for the Strategic Environment Impact Assessment (SEA) and the analysis of economic and social impact. After the study has been completed, the Ministry of Transport will request another budget for the expropriation of land for all the projects. The construction is expected to start in 2017 and to be completed in 2022.

The Ministry of Transport has also planned to build a 142-kilometer road and a railway to link Pak Bara Pier, which is on the Andaman Sea’s coast, with Songkhla deep sea port on the Gulf of Thailand’s coast in order to develop Southern Thailand into the marine transport hub of Southeast Asia.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-09 footer_n.gif

Didn't the RAF bomb Bangkok in WW2? I dont think that will look good on their CV.

Yeah but unfortunately we missed our intended targets due to bad weather.

Luckily for us though, a couple of stray bombs did manage to destroy a strategically important rice field and a few special ops buffalo.

• Like 1

What a load of codswollop!! More lies and propaganda from this military Junta trying fool the Thai public into thinking their regime has legitimacy in the eyes of the Western Nations. UK would NEVER invest in a country that is trying to get into bed with North Korea and China.

Indeed, indeed.

2014-11-20

"He asked for assurances that British and other foreign investment in Thailand would not be jeopardised by new legislation."

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/british-ambassador-calls-on-pm-general-prayuth

• Like 1

Yes, but do they really love all Thai people or are they only interested in the money?

Sounds like the typical mega-port-projects tourists. They probably couldn't score at home and are looking for attractive, young ports to cozy up to.

no-money-no-honey.jpg

Thailand would look a lot better now had it been colonised by a European country instead of by the Chinese.

• Like 1

Yeah but unfortunately we missed our intended targets due to bad weather.

Luckily for us though, a couple of stray bombs did manage to destroy a strategically important rice field and a few special ops buffalo.

Ah.....so that's why they show such contempt towards farang. We've been paying for that rice and those buffalo ever since.