What is the best way to get visa to Laos and back to Thai

I plan to visit (round trip by air (US)) Bangkok soon for three weeks. During this time, I will go to Pakse (Laos) for one week and return to Bangkok then fly back to US. Since I do not need a visa to enter to Thailand but will need visa to Laos, what is the best way possible to enter Laos and return to Bangkok if I plan to take a bus (VIP?) from Mochit train station to Pakse? Will it be possible to get visa on the fly in Laos and will the bus wait for me? When I return to Bangkok, do I need a visa to reenter?

A bit confusing as you mentioned going by bus from Mo Chit (there is a daily Bangkok-Pakse bus that leaves each evening) but then mentioned "Will it be possible to get visa on the fly in Laos and will the bus wait for me?"

I don't know exactly what you meant, but if the question was will you be able to get a VOA at the border while the bus waits the answer is undoubtedly yes. That border crossing is not too busy and the VOA should only take a few minutes.

Flying in you can also get a VOA. Anyway, why not just go by bus as you say?

Another option would be flight to Ubon Ratchatani then international bus from Ubon to Pakse. Coming back to Thailand no problem for a further visa-free entry.

Thank you Tomtomtom69 for the great information! Sorry I was not clear as I gathered information here and there and I am not sure how VOA get processed for many people, but your answer is exactly what I need. I don't know much about ground transportation between countries in Thailand and I have never been in Laos before, so I am concerned about how to get to Pakse and back to Bangkok. I saw posts mentioning some buses require you to already have visa to Laos before you can board and also there is a possibility that bus that allows you to get VOA but might not wait for you making me worried. Information from the forum shows that there is a bus that depart from Mo Chit every day at 9:00 p.m. to Pakse that takes 13 hours to reach the destination. Do you know which bus that is, whether tickets can be purchased in advance; do you get to transfer to another bus or is it the only bus that takes you all the way to Pakse station. Where does the bus stop to get VOA; does it stop somewhere so you can buy food and how luggage is handled. Again, sorry for the silly questions from a newb.

Good advice from Tomtom.

The bus takes 13 hours and the seats are not the most comfortable in the world. Your luggage stays onboard as as you pass through immigration.

There are pit stops enroute to go to the toilet.

Do you want to spend half a day on a bus?

Air Asia to Ubon is only 1200 baht and the bus to Pakse takes only three hours from there.

Edited by Jay Sata

Thank you Jay Sata. It's an attractive alternative to bus. How easy to make an arrangement to go with the route you suggested? What airport to depart from? Any reservation in advance is needed or I just go there and buy a ticket. Then how do I get the bus from Ubon to Pakse? Thanks very much.

You need to book on the Air Asia or Nok site.

http://www.airasia.com/th/th/home.page?cid=1

http://www.nokair.com/nokconnext/aspx/Index.aspx

They fly from the old Don. Muang airport in Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani.

Nok flight 9314 departs Bangkok 11.00 am arriving Ubon 12.05 leaving plenty of time to catch the afternoon bus to Pakse.

Then take a taxi or Tuk Tuk to the main bus station in town.

The Thai-Lao International Bus leaves twice daily at at 9.30am and 3.30pm. The trip normally takes around three hours and a ticket costs Bt200.

I always get a Lao visa in advance as it saves time at the border.

The small,saving on the long distance bus from Bangkok is not worth the discomfort in my opinion.As you are on such a short trip then time matters so the flight is a no brainer.

Edited by Jay Sata

Thanks again for the help. I'll try to book the round trip plane ticket from their site (Air Asia). I heard it's more complicated to get the visa to Laos while in Bangkok than to get VOA in Laos. Is that true? By taking Air Asia to Ubon are you required to have a visa in order to board the flight?

Thanks again for the help. I'll try to book the round trip plane ticket from their site (Air Asia). I heard it's more complicated to get the visa to Laos while in Bangkok than to get VOA in Laos. Is that true? By taking Air Asia to Ubon are you required to have a visa in order to board the flight?

No visa required as you are on an internal flight. Be aware it pays to travel light. Thai budget airline prices are low but if you are carrying a typical Americans luggage the ticket price goes up,quite a bit.

I have never had a problem getting a Laos visa.

You can get the Laos visa at the border but I would recommend you obtain it in Bangkok. The terminal is just a small airport with limited facilities.

One point worth mentioning is that on return you will only be stamped in to Thailand for 15 days so time your trip accordingly.

Edited by Jay Sata