Visa extension vs. visa run

Flew into Bangkok 22nd Dec, no particular visa. Visa exemption runs out 20th Jan.

Summarising various threads I've read, getting another 30-day exemption in Bangkok should be relatively straightforward. Whereas any kind of visa run, even a more ambitious flight for a long weekend or week to Siem Reap and back, is more likely to fail or at least is very subject to the whim/mood of whichever customs official I encounter on my return.

Is this a fair summary, am I missing anything?

You can apply at any immigration office for a 30 day extension (it is not another exempt entry) for a fee of 1900 baht.

You can also fly out an back to get another 30 day visa exempt exempt entry if the one you have now is your first one without a problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Should have updated this thread to mention I had no problem getting another 30-day stay at the embassy in Bangkok, so am good till Feb 19th.

Is there any reason to suppose that if I go for a long weekend to Siem Reap (maybe even a whole week and go to Ho Chi Minh as well), that I shouldn't get another 30-day stamp upon return to Bangkok?

Presumably at a certain point they might well ask why I didn't get a longer VISA in the first place. Or is this unreasonable paranoia.

You got the 30 day extension at immigration in Bangkok there is no Thai embassy in the country only outside the country are there embassies..

If you leave the country for a few days and fly back in you will get another 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

You can apply at any immigration office for a 30 day extension (it is not another exempt entry) for a fee of 1900 baht.

You can also fly out an back to get another 30 day visa exempt exempt entry if the one you have now is your first one without a problem.

Is any immigration office capable of doing this? Remember once (very long time ago) trying to do this at the immigration office in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, they didn't have the proper stamps and told me to go to Songhkla. Also I am not sure if all provincial capitals have an immigration office.

Is any immigration office capable of doing this? Remember once (very long time ago) trying to do this at the immigration office in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, they didn't have the proper stamps and told me to go to Songhkla. Also I am not sure if all provincial capitals have an immigration office.

I suspect that was before they even had an immigration office there.. It may of been a checkpoint at or near a crossing.

Any immigration office can do the extension. Not all provinces have immigration offices.

See Address and Google Map location of immigration offices

• Like 1

You got the 30 day extension at immigration in Bangkok there is no Thai embassy in the country only outside the country are there embassies..

If you leave the country for a few days and fly back in you will get another 30 day visa exempt entry.

Yeah, thanks for the correction. I meant the one on Chaengwattana Road Laksi.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any circumstances under which I would be refused entry or not given another 30 days? Just to recap, entered with no particular visa, was given a 30-day exemption, extended this another 30 days, and then went travelling for two weeks. Should I bring cash with me just in case?

Entering by air will be no problem. Entering by land can be a problem, depending on your history over the last 6 months and the border you will use.

Hi Mario,

I am just scanning back through posts for current info regarding "depending on your history over the last 6 months and the border you will use."

My history:

I went from a tourist visa to a non-imm B (which expires on 6th March) - can't get a work permit until the boss gets his one set up, have an extension of stay until 13th .... but nothing will be sorted out by then either (I know that I can't a WP on an extension of stay anyway) and it will be inconvenient for me to go out for a new visa until the end of March.

My plan was to detour via Ranong on a trip driving between Phuket and Samui on 13th to pick up a 15 day entry permit. I won't hold you accountable for the answer, but what do you think of the chances of getting the extra 15 days?

Since you are not a visa exempt entry now you should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry. If you are from a G7 country you will get 30 days instead of 15 days.

If it was possible to get the work permit application done and an approval letter for it you could get another non-b visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

Since you are not a visa exempt entry now you should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry. If you are from a G7 country you will get 30 days instead of 15 days.

If it was possible to get the work permit application done and an approval letter for it you could get another non-b visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

Hi Joe,

Not G7, Aussie, so only 15 days. The company director isn't going to get his act together soon enough to get his WP done before April, so therefore employees can't get one before him - so I am stuck marking time, good to know that Ranong will still do the 15 days though.

Thanks, as always, for your advice and knowledge - much appreciated.