realistic cost of living in Ubon Ratchathani ?

shellman2

Your costs will vary a lot, which is why you're having trouble getting a straight answer in this thread (And which is also why a lot of posters get frustrated, as you can see from their replies lol).

In general, compared to NZ (I'm a kiwi), you'll find the following:

If you cook, it'll cost a similar amount to cooking in NZ (Assuming you were cooking Asian food in NZ (e.g. mainly rice with a little meat & veges, no cheese/steak etc))

If you eat out at street/cheap restaurants, it'll cost a similar amount to cooking in NZ ($2-3 for a small meal, more if you like decent sized portions)

If you eat out at nice restaurants, it'll probably be a little cheaper than eating out at "cheap" places in NZ* (You'd probably be paying $5-8 for a meal, whereas in NZ you'd probably pay around $8-$12)

If you eat out at western restaurants, it'll be a similar cost to eating out at "cheap" places in NZ* ($8-$12 per person)

Although if you eat out at nice western restaurants, it'll be a similar cost to in NZ (e.g. Buying Texas BBQ rips at Sizzler in Thailand, is a similar cost to buying Texas BBQ ribs at a similar restaurant in NZ.). Although surprisingly enough, Pizza is often cheaper in NZ than it is in Thailand, although delivery is cheaper in Thailand, so it balances out a little (Although Pizzas in NZ also taste better lol).

Rent wise, you pay about as much per month, as what you'd pay per week in NZ, for a similar place. So living in Ubon, that'd probably be like living in maybe Hamilton, a decent sized, but small city. Much like NZ, people will prefer 1 year contracts, and so you might need to pay a little more in order to just get a 3-6 month, or open ended, rental agreement.

Internet, phone, cable tv, power & water bills are roughly on par with NZ, or at least so far as I remember (Except that your electricity bill is high in the summer, rather than being high in the winter lol). e.g. My mobile phone costs around $40 per month for unlimited 3G internet data & more calls than I can use, Cable TV is about $40-$120 per month, depending on the package you get, internet is usually about $30 per month for a standard unlimited 10MBit connection, with an extra $10 or so if you get a landline to go with it, power varies (We pay about $80-$120 depending on the season) and water is negligible.

You could however spend significantly less than this, one guy I knew was only getting charged about $5-10 per month for electricity as he was living by himself and didn't use aircon much (Sometimes he was under $5, and so they didn't even send him a bill). He was likewise only paying $120 rent per month and spending about $3-$4 per meal.

If you smoke, then cigarettes are super cheap, a carton probably costs as much as a single pack in NZ, but they probably won't taste the same as in NZ. Drinking wholesale isn't that different to in NZ, except that you can buy quart bottles for around $2 each instead of having to buy a box of smaller bottles on special in the supermarket for $1 each in NZ. Spirits cost about the same (E.g. $30-40 per bottle).

But, if you buy cheaper Thai whiskeys, then you'll find it really cheap, as you can buy bottles for around $12 each. Going out for a beer is when you'll usually find it a lot cheaper, with most places giving you a quart for about $5, and a lot of bars allow BYO spirits (usually a $2 BYO fee) and you can likewise just buy by the bottle then purchase mixers. Some bars/restaurants will also sell quarts for around $2 or $3 each.

So as you can see, the cost of living isn't necessarily a lot different, depending on how you'll live your life over here (Apart from rent). The main thing which gets people excited about Thailand being cheap, is that there is always a cheaper (but lower quality) option compared to what you'd be used to in NZ. I know that if I was single, I could live by myself in Thailand for $1,000 NZ per month, without any problems, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with $1,500 or $2,000 though (Particularly if I was on holiday and wanted to socialize & travel, then I'd probably want even more just to be safe).

(For anyone else reading, I haven't put my costings in THB, but $1NZ = 25 THB, roughly, also the above are general costings, not specific to Ubon, although should apply to Ubon as well).

Anyway hope this is of some assistance smile.png

• Like 1

My costs, just for me, and not counting rent (I have a house) but counting an electric bill of ฿1,800 a month, no AC, but two electricity showers, 5 bedroom house, and 8 people living in it, plus ฿707 per month internet bill, and about ฿750 a week in gas for my truck. One night out a week with the boys for dinner and some eye candy at the karaoke bar, plus some tips to the eye candy, is about ฿5,500 per week. I live in a village, not a city, but I think discounting the housing, the costs would be about the same. I have a quiet life and am careful with my money, but I don't really want for anything. I also eat mostly western food, and cook at home, but could probably eat Thai food off the street cheaper. The only time I drink is my once a week out with the boys.

hi again,and i not want to live like a bum at all.i thought a very reasonable question to anybody who has lived in Ubon.i do not want the high life.just a normal life with my lady from Ubon,on my average wages from average NZ.thankyou all for your advice.i hope i can meet some of you in UBON later this year.cheers

• Like 2

hi again,and i not want to live like a bum at all.i thought a very reasonable question to anybody who has lived in Ubon.i do not want the high life.just a normal life with my lady from Ubon,on my average wages from average NZ.thankyou all for your advice.i hope i can meet some of you in UBON later this year.cheers

So you're thinking about doing 6 months working in NZ then 6 months in Thailand?

If you can budget about $1500NZ per month you should be pretty comfortable, I was earning that much teaching and only found my budget stressed when my wife and I brought a car and had to start making repayments. A little more (~$2000NZ) and you'll be very comfortable, a little less (~$1000NZ) and you'll be ok but very mindful of every dollar spent. It's possible to live on less than $1000NZ a month, but that wouldn't be the lifestyle you're looking for.

If you have a partner in Thailand, your costs could significantly increase, or stay the same, depending on your partner etc, so think about them as well while budgeting (Some will help you save money, since they work & can assist with local knowledge and home cooking etc. Others will only help you to spend it, particularly if they aren't working and have dependents).

Yeah if you're in NZ and want to receive the pension, you have to have lived in NZ for at least 10 years after you turned 20, 5 of which must have been while you were over 50, and you must spend more than half of the year in the country (Which means any kiwis who moved here before they were 55, won't qualify for a NZ pension).

NZ pension should be around $677nz per fortnight and sharing accommodation with family (So around 34-37k+ THB per month). Which wouldn't go very far in NZ, but would be pretty comfortable if living in Isaan (Pattaya might not be as comfortable though).

The new kiwi saver scheme (well it came in 10+ years ago), which you get access to as well as a regular pension (so long as you made contributions while working), should be accessible by people that move away from NZ too (Although as its new, people won't have put much into it if they're already retired).

If you're going to be here for 6 months consider buying a second hand motor cycle. They can often be found really cheaply. Consider one in fairly good nick for about 20K baht. After your 6 months you can sell even if you only get half what you paid for it, it will be cheaper than hiring one. Plus if you damage it you won't have any hassles you would have if rented.

If you're going to be here for 6 months consider buying a second hand motor cycle. They can often be found really cheaply. Consider one in fairly good nick for about 20K baht. After your 6 months you can sell even if you only get half what you paid for it, it will be cheaper than hiring one. Plus if you damage it you won't have any hassles you would have if rented.

Good idea but be well aware of the need for road safety too. Expect the unexpected and unbelievable, then you will be OK
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ok, I am sick of "Thailand is super cheap" claims. I understand that old cranky guys can afford cheap beer and while drunk do not miss a good meal or companionship. BUT, the normal people, usually sober, wash undies daily, and can type without using the word "mate" or "whilst," want a nice comfortable life. That costs about 50,000 to 70,000 THB/mo.... I put the commas in to help you get REAL.

You will want the "extra cost" items like.......

satellite tv

high speed dependable Internet and phone line or fiber to carry it.

UPS and line conditioner on ur computer.

Regular renewal of visa stuff and trips to renew.

Imported food and a real meal at times.

Car, driver, or taxi........ whadda mean, going by motorbike????

etc etc

And that does not account for flying back to see the kids, paying the inevitable fines, and coping with no health insurance... yes, try the pre existing conditions list, hee hee.

Why live like a bum in Thailand when panhandling is easier in the West?wai.gif

wow a working class snob who thinks hes above eveything and one...hes here for 6 months on a budget no-doubt..not an inmate...why do you presume he needs home food ..cos you cant intergrate your taste buds..jog on boy..you know very little ..

jog on boy....very good. I'm going to use that. do you think he understood?

• 2 years later...
On 1/12/2015 at 4:07 AM, shellman2 said:

maybe 2/3 bedroom house near the centre of town,and just normal everyday costs.food from supermarket,power,internet.just approx cost.will give me something to work with.plus transport ? buses ? taxis.any help or advice will be good.cheers.nothing to extravagant,just average living costs

If there is a woman involved, one could calculate fairly accurately that

any budget could be [x+y] x [?] = < 0.