Rental propeties - Investment Income in Thailand

TealLA

I now understand that some of my comments were not really geared for you as you are basically looking for real estate and have no real interest in long-term stock investing...sorry about that as I was not trying to hijack your thread . I could go into a long oration about real estate pros and cons here in Thailand as I have owned several units and have faced the problems that comes with the ownership of real estate rentals in Thailand. I believe you have already made up your mind and I wish you all the success in your endeavor.

I would like to talk to you more about investing! I'm only 25 and managed to convince my parents to buy some dividend stocks some time ago, the stocks have done quite well, but some plunged biggrin.png The investing philosopy of my parents is very old fashioned, with every chance they get they buy a new condo, I've told them over and over again that dividend investing is the best way to go. We have like bunch of tenants, and dealing with them is a pain in the arse, some pay, some dont pay, some pay late, they keep calling when the house has problems etc. I'm trying to convince them to sell some of the condos they have and buy reits instead so they dont have to deal with tenant related problems. So far I've managed to get them to sell one of the condos, we put it in a REIT and the value has appreciated by 25% already, and the dividend yield is about 5%, and its been only 5 months biggrin.png

REITS are definitely the best way to go, its sold 1 second after you give the order, no hassles with tenants, just wait for your dividend and thats it, love it!

Dont confuse genius with a rising market. People lose money in reits in a losing market too.

Just wondering why cant your parents get good tenants. I own real estate and bad tenNTSa are the exception. I use a good capable management company.

• Like 1

TealLA

I now understand that some of my comments were not really geared for you as you are basically looking for real estate and have no real interest in long-term stock investing...sorry about that as I was not trying to hijack your thread . I could go into a long oration about real estate pros and cons here in Thailand as I have owned several units and have faced the problems that comes with the ownership of real estate rentals in Thailand. I believe you have already made up your mind and I wish you all the success in your endeavor.

I would like to talk to you more about investing! I'm only 25 and managed to convince my parents to buy some dividend stocks some time ago, the stocks have done quite well, but some plunged biggrin.png The investing philosopy of my parents is very old fashioned, with every chance they get they buy a new condo, I've told them over and over again that dividend investing is the best way to go. We have like bunch of tenants, and dealing with them is a pain in the arse, some pay, some dont pay, some pay late, they keep calling when the house has problems etc. I'm trying to convince them to sell some of the condos they have and buy reits instead so they dont have to deal with tenant related problems. So far I've managed to get them to sell one of the condos, we put it in a REIT and the value has appreciated by 25% already, and the dividend yield is about 5%, and its been only 5 months biggrin.png

REITS are definitely the best way to go, its sold 1 second after you give the order, no hassles with tenants, just wait for your dividend and thats it, love it!

Dont confuse genius with a rising market. People lose money in reits in a losing market too.

Just wondering why cant your parents get good tenants. I own real estate and bad tenNTSa are the exception. I use a good capable management company.

I'll have to write a very long post to answer your question. In short, I've never heard of rental management companies in Turkey like the ones in the west, so we are the ones going after the rent. Price of REITs strong corrolates with the housing market, so I dont think its any different than investing in a home, just much less hassles. I still think its much better to sit back and collect the dividends instead of letting the management company take care of collecting the rent etc. Edited by Lukecan

TealLA

I'll have to write a very long post to answer your question. In short, I've never heard of rental management companies in Turkey like the ones in the west, so we are the ones going after the rent. Price of REITs strong corrolates with the housing market, so I dont think its any different than investing in a home, just much less hassles. I still think its much better to sit back and collect the dividends instead of letting the management company take care of collecting the rent etc.

You cant advise others on RE investing based on your TURKEY experience. A lot of us dont live in TURKEY.

TealLA

I'll have to write a very long post to answer your question. In short, I've never heard of rental management companies in Turkey like the ones in the west, so we are the ones going after the rent. Price of REITs strong corrolates with the housing market, so I dont think its any different than investing in a home, just much less hassles. I still think its much better to sit back and collect the dividends instead of letting the management company take care of collecting the rent etc.

You cant advise others on RE investing based on your TURKEY experience. A lot of us dont live in TURKEY.

We have a condo in Malaysia as well, and its still common sense REIT > Owning couple of units

OK TealLA, you will proceed as follows:

- You will come here as a visitor for 6 months and rent your place of residence for the duration. This will give you time to learn about the country and it's ways. Upon completion of your 6 months "apprenticeship" you will find that Thailand is not an "Investor-Friendly" country unless your last name is "Toyota or "Mercedes-Benz". As a matter of fact, Thailand is especially unfriendly towards small investors, regardless what your Thai GF tells you.

During this learning process of 6 months your investments should strictly be limited to buying daily necessities. Upon completion of this learning process (among other things) you will find with regard to "Rental-Properties" (as far as actual yield is concerned / ROI = Return On Investment), you will be extremely disappointed.

Further: The funds that you have at your disposal qualify you immediately as drastically under capitalized. Under these circumstances (in the inherit unfriendly Business environment concerning small Farang Investors in Thailand), your chances of lasting success are equivalent to sitting down at a Black-Jack Table in Las Vegas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would disregard encouraging comments that have surfaced within this thread. There is whole army of Farangs in Thailand that make their living by supplying legal or less legal real-estate "Agencies" with new "Greenhorn-Arrivals" freshly from the Airport.

How can you identify them? Easy ! Farangs, below retirement age and claiming "to love to work, otherwise I would be bored" are suspicious in the first degree. Stay away from them Most likely= white trash, aiming for your wallet or your signature for some "Business deal of your lifetime".

Live and learn. But especially in Thailand one has to be a fast learner. Otherwise...........

Cheers.

• Like 1

OK TealLA, you will proceed as follows:

- You will come here as a visitor for 6 months and rent your place of residence for the duration. This will give you time to learn about the country and it's ways. Upon completion of your 6 months "apprenticeship" you will find that Thailand is not an "Investor-Friendly" country unless your last name is "Toyota or "Mercedes-Benz". As a matter of fact, Thailand is especially unfriendly towards small investors, regardless what your Thai GF tells you.

During this learning process of 6 months your investments should strictly be limited to buying daily necessities. Upon completion of this learning process (among other things) you will find with regard to "Rental-Properties" (as far as actual yield is concerned / ROI = Return On Investment), you will be extremely disappointed.

Further: The funds that you have at your disposal qualify you immediately as drastically under capitalized. Under these circumstances (in the inherit unfriendly Business environment concerning small Farang Investors in Thailand), your chances of lasting success are equivalent to sitting down at a Black-Jack Table in Las Vegas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would disregard encouraging comments that have surfaced within this thread. There is whole army of Farangs in Thailand that make their living by supplying legal or less legal real-estate "Agencies" with new "Greenhorn-Arrivals" freshly from the Airport.

How can you identify them? Easy ! Farangs, below retirement age and claiming "to love to work, otherwise I would be bored" are suspicious in the first degree. Stay away from them Most likely= white trash, aiming for your wallet or your signature for some "Business deal of your lifetime".

Live and learn. But especially in Thailand one has to be a fast learner. Otherwise...........

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply to my questions. Much appreciated.