Deckchair Operators “Day-Off” welcomed by Pattaya Beachgoers

Rimmer

Deckchair Operators “Day-Off” welcomed by Pattaya Beachgoers

beach-21.jpg
PATTAYA:--In an unusual attempt to lure Tourists, both foreign and domestic, back to Pattaya Beach, authorities have begun a “Day-off” scheme, where Deckchairs and Umbrellas and their operators are banned from Pattaya Beach every Wednesday.

This was the first week of the one-day ban and according to beachgoers we spoke with, the ban was welcomed as many are hesitant to use the deckchairs and umbrellas as they fear potential problems with the operators.

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/165177/deckchair-operators-day-off-welcomed-by-pattaya-beachgoers/#sthash.AyIWYS5u.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-01-15

• Like 1

" according to beachgoers we spoke with, the ban was welcomed as many are hesitant to use the deckchairs and umbrellas as they fear potential problems with the operators"

There must have been something that got lost with the translation ! Why would beachgoers have problems with the deckchair operators if they paid for and used deckchairs and umbrellas ?

I guess they said, that they feared problems with the deckchair operators if they brought their own towels and umbrellas to the beach ! But maybe this is something the Thai interviewer did not want to hear . . . .??

• Like 2

If they spoke to beach-goers on Wednesday, they would only speak to those who don't want to sit on a beach chair in the shade and would rather sit on the sand and get sunburned. Those who do want to sit on a chair in the shade wouldn't be there, so for me the headline is misleading.

Personally, I love to sit on the beach, but I will only do it if I can sit on a chair in the shade. When I go to Pattaya, Dongtan beach is my place of choice. I don't mind paying a small price for use of a chair and umbrella and all the facilities, i.e food and drink readily available, massage, pedicure, ice cream, toilets etc.

I've been going there for years and I've never had a problem with the operators. Their prices are reasonable and their service is good.

If they take all that away, then I wouldn't go to the beach, and I'd think twice about going to Pattaya/Jomtien, or any other beach in Thailand for that matter.

+1

• Like 1

Regarding the article's ..... "authorities believe this will entice more people to use Pattaya Beach, which resembles a normal beach at least 1 day a week"

Great. It will look like a "normal" beach and entice more people 14% of the time. Looks like the deckchair/umbrella business and the associated graft is more important that the tourist business.

• Like 1

" according to beachgoers we spoke with, the ban was welcomed as many are hesitant to use the deckchairs and umbrellas as they fear potential problems with the operators"

There must have been something that got lost with the translation ! Why would beachgoers have problems with the deckchair operators if they paid for and used deckchairs and umbrellas ?

I guess they said, that they feared problems with the deckchair operators if they brought their own towels and umbrellas to the beach ! But maybe this is something the Thai interviewer did not want to hear . . . .??

Why would they have problems? Things like harassment of non-customers by vendors who force them off of their self-proclaimed territory, and cheating business practices. Many of these vendors are crooks and deserve being banned from the beach.

• Like 2

Perhaps some folks blur the problem with the jet skis with the general operation of the beach. They are here for a week or two and don't really analyze "the beach" as separate sub-operations. They're leery of jet ski operations, so they're leery of beach chair concessionaires? If they research by doing cursory reading of forum threads, they might think all Thais (especially in Pattaya) are scammers.

• Like 1

Pattaya beach swarms with rats at night, it's disgusting. Frankly I think anyone would be ill advised to spread there freshly laundered towel amonst the spoors and urine of those disease ridden vermin!

Other than that please feel free to enjoy the sand benesth your toes.....

• Like 1

If they spoke to beach-goers on Wednesday, they would only speak to those who don't want to sit on a beach chair in the shade and would rather sit on the sand and get sunburned. Those who do want to sit on a chair in the shade wouldn't be there, so for me the headline is misleading.

Personally, I love to sit on the beach, but I will only do it if I can sit on a chair in the shade. When I go to Pattaya, Dongtan beach is my place of choice. I don't mind paying a small price for use of a chair and umbrella and all the facilities, i.e food and drink readily available, massage, pedicure, ice cream, toilets etc.

I've been going there for years and I've never had a problem with the operators. Their prices are reasonable and their service is good.

If they take all that away, then I wouldn't go to the beach, and I'd think twice about going to Pattaya/Jomtien, or any other beach in Thailand for that matter.

I agree with you in part however these operators knock up over 100 chairs and umbrellas first thing in the morning taking up all the beach space. I have walked pasted them and seen 70% of them EMPTY. I think a compromise would be sufficient where as the operators leave the chairs etc stacked and supply them on demand. This would not be too difficult.

• Like 2

I enjoy sitting down at the beach on a deckchair in the shade of the umbrella and having a nice cold beer served to me and my Mrs enjoyed ordering food, did it for years and never had a problem once with the vendors, although I am sure some constant moaners would have a problem oh the beer is 1 Baht more expensive than my local shop, cant please everyone.

• Like 2

I'm sure more people would support this if there were alternative places on or near the beaches that provided seating in the shade, Unfortunately there are not. You've either got to stay indoors, or be spit-roasted on the beach on Wednesdays.

Don't rent your beach chair from the thin, older Chinese-Thai that rents them across from the Amari hotel. He is trying to charge everyone 50 baht...saying it has been that price for a couple months. I live/work in the area so when he tried to tell me that lie, I walked away. No, I am not a "Cheap Charlie" but I do not like to see anyone take advantage of tourists. (so the scum bag doesn't get my business on weekends plus when my group of friend from BKK come down to party on the beach).

• Like 1

I think half the amount of umbrellas and chairs should be put out, most of us do not mind renting a chair space with umbrella for 30baht and ordering a cold beer/drink...even something to eat.

We all need protection from the sun and certainly it is cooler under a faded, rusty umbrella than nothing at all.

Ok, if you're from Sweden and want that brown horse skin, then you can lay on the blanket in front of the row of chairs. Most of us are aware in the 21st Century of the dangers of direct sun upon the skin. And certainly the Thais do not want to sit in the direct sun either.

I agree with all you have said.....now, replace the water and I might just consider a visit!

Why would beachgoers have problems with the deckchair operators if they paid for and used deckchairs and umbrellas ?

Because local adjacent vendors will not sell their products to you for fear of reprisal from your deckchair op as they also sell food and drink...

Because the deckchair op decides to pack it in for the day with several hours of sunlight remaining...tells you to "Get up now...we closed for the day"...

I use the chairs and like the overpriced food and drink. not really overpriced but more than at the store. I always have good service and honestly they seem to work harder than most (moving the umbrellas, etc.).

I also think there shouldn't be wall to wall umbrellas. There should be open space between the vendors that is the same size as vendors.

You want more tourists? why not squash the jetski issue, or cleanup the stuff floating in the water (have deckchair operators be required to have a trash can and a water skimmer), or the boat safety (drive too fast, run over swimmers), or the mini-bus driver issues (aggressive, speeding, etc), or the big bus on the highways driving recklessly close to other vehicles. etc.