Laos, Switzerland agree on mutual visa exemption

webfact

Laos, Switzerland agree on mutual visa exemption

VIENTIANE: -- The governments of Laos and the Swiss Confederation have agreed on a mutual visa exemption for holders of diplomatic, special, or service passports.

Under the agreement, Lao citizens who hold diplomatic and special or service passports will receive a visa exemption when they enter, exit, transit, or stay in Switzerland for less than 90 days.

Laos and Switzerland established diplomatic relations in 1975.

The government of Switzerland has constantly provided assistance to Laos through the Swiss Development Corporation (SDC), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the European Union, Agence Française de Développement (AFD) and the GIZ.

The SDC also has a strategy for the Mekong region and will renew Switzerland’s development policy commitment in the region and in the three countries with bilateral programmes: Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

The strategy will respond to the needs of the partner countries and is in line with the principles of Swiss development policy as defined in the Parliamentary Message on International Cooperation 2013–2016.

The strategy was formulated in dialogue with the partners of Switzerland. It responds to the major challenges facing the region prior to the start of the ASEAN Community at the end of 2015.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/laos-switzerland-agree-mutual-visa-exemption

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-15

The strategy was formulated in dialogue with the partners of Switzerland. It responds to the major challenges facing the region prior to the start of the ASEAN Community at the end of 2015.

I guess it can only mean doing what the swiss are good for....hiding money.

• Like 2

I hope I will still get my 15 days without visa.

That rule concerns 6 million people. Not much, but a bit more! :-)

YES, rumors I heard once are, that the Swiss Ambassador and the Lao Minister for Foreign Affairs had a evening together with a lot drinks and enjoyment.

The outcome, Visa free stays for Swiss in Lao without any payment. wink.png

I guess it can only mean doing what the swiss are good for....hiding money.

Not any more - not since the Swiss authorities wilted under pressure from the US and handed UBC over to the US courts.

For banking secrecy see Hong Kong or Singapore. The Singaporeans actually tightened their banking secrecy laws in direct response to the the above.