Pope on Charlie Hebdo: There are limits to free expression

Lite Beer

Islamic society added considerably to sciences, art, astronomy, etc-

PAST tense.

My apologies if English is not your first language -- I used the word added - the past tense - as I am referring to a period sometimes known as the golden age of Islam -- from the mid 8th century until the mid 13th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

Whilst there were previously some highly noteworthy additions by Christianity, not a lot has recently been added by Christianity, per se. Most modern science and art is undertaken by non-religious bodies and individuals.

There were similar golden ages in Roman, Greek. Nordic. Hindu and other cultures - but never in Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age

Exactly why I posted to add emphasis to the point: in the LONG AGO past.

What has Islamic culture given the world lately?

Isis? Youtube beheadings?

I suppose I am responding to my own post to you. Having now seen other posters address this same thing with you, don't bother responding to me; its ok. I see it now. But I would further point out the oddity of what is called the Golden Age of Islam. Do you know why it was Golden and from who's perspective that applies? Islam!

Even with regard to using the term "Golden Age" when referring to Islam, it cannot reasonably be juxtaposed with Roman, Greek- Classical Civilization; the phrase is simply used differently, like a shoehorn to get a hand into sneakers, or a square peg into a round hole- it does not fit. Golden Age refers to an idyllic, often later presumed, better, older age (see Minever Cheevey). There are ages in the classical world where we now retrospectively assign the phrase Golden Age (often, religiously, this is known as the Axial Age), but even this is a slight misuse of the term. Using it for Islam, during the period of time they slaughtered over 100,000,00 people and enslaved raped and maimed nearly as much, can this be called a Golden Age? Really?

This is elsewhere known as the age of the First and Second Jihad. History has many cul de sacs.

Considering Islam began its nomadic, expansive conquest in 632ce and continued non-stop until 1683ce, when it took a break stretch break until the 20th century, are we to believe an advancing, invading, conquering religion (not a culture or civilization- a religion that declares its adherents are slaves of the divine) created what amounts to arts, sciences, etc? No, of course not. These were all appropriated from the hosts that were infected/invaded. Does one imagine little puppet caliphs installed from Damascus to Kerala, from Baghdad to Herat, having newly enslaved and slaughtered the masses, destroyed and raped their icons, then set out immediately to excel in the one thing islam forbade- individual development and freedom and initiative? Nonsense.

The Golden Age of islam was an age of unparallelled slaughter in all human history. Such death had been unknown to life on earth since a big rock hit the Yucatan peninsula. It was unrestrained savagery for generations and its offer, for the most part, was other people's lives and industry.

IMO, the below picture sums up my entire historical narrative:

Reprinted with permission ReligionOfPeace.com

post-201392-0-95081400-1421654158_thumb.

Let the same proof of innovation be applied to Chriatianity

Or, lets argue why apples tend to be red! It has about the same bearing on the issue as christian innovation. Christians are not seeking to install shar'ia across the world, nor killing, nor maiming, not cyber attacking, nor.. nor any of it. When they become a problem in our lifetimes lets do then take a closer look, but now it is a distraction to the issue- islam seeks to impose its will over ever facet of society, not the jews, christians, or hindus.

Or, lets argue why apples tend to be red! It has about the same bearing on the issue as christian innovation. Christians are not seeking to install shar'ia across the world, nor killing, nor maiming, not cyber attacking, nor.. nor any of it. When they become a problem in our lifetimes lets do then take a closer look, but now it is a distraction to the issue- islam seeks to impose its will over ever facet of society, not the jews, christians, or hindus.

In exactly the same way as Christianity steamrollered the world. ?

Big Bang theory:

In 1927, the Belgian Catholic priest Georges Lemaître proposed an expanding model for the Universe to explain the observed redshifts of spiral nebulae, and forecast the Hubble law. He based his theory on the work of Einstein and De Sitter, and independently derived Friedmann's equations for an expanding universe. Also, the red shifts themselves were not constant, but varied in such manner as to lead to the conclusion that there was a definite relationship between amount of red-shift of nebulae, and their distance from observers.

In 1931, Lemaître proposed in his "hypothèse de l'atome primitif" (hypothesis of the primeval atom) that the Universe began with the "explosion" of the "primeval atom" — what was later called the Big Bang. Lemaître first took cosmic rays to be the remnants of the event, although it is now known that they originate within the local galaxy. Lemaître had to wait until shortly before his death to learn of the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, the remnant radiation of a dense and hot phase in the early Universe.

Teach that to Muslims...

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

Big Bang theory:

In 1927, the Belgian Catholic priest Georges Lemaître proposed an expanding model for the Universe to explain the observed redshifts of spiral nebulae, and forecast the Hubble law. He based his theory on the work of Einstein and De Sitter, and independently derived Friedmann's equations for an expanding universe. Also, the red shifts themselves were not constant, but varied in such manner as to lead to the conclusion that there was a definite relationship between amount of red-shift of nebulae, and their distance from observers.

In 1931, Lemaître proposed in his "hypothèse de l'atome primitif" (hypothesis of the primeval atom) that the Universe began with the "explosion" of the "primeval atom" — what was later called the Big Bang. Lemaître first took cosmic rays to be the remnants of the event, although it is now known that they originate within the local galaxy. Lemaître had to wait until shortly before his death to learn of the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, the remnant radiation of a dense and hot phase in the early Universe.

Teach that to Muslims...

The philosophy of Aristotle held that the Universe had an infinite past, which caused problems for medieval Jewish and Islamic philosophers who were unable to reconcile the Aristotelian conception of the eternal with the Abrahamic view of creation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Big_Bang_theory

Can we get away from a wikipedia competition and actually create some original thought here? It is difficult to post on this topic without ruffling a few feathers, but healthy debate needs that. We're all on the same side in the end -- there's no harm here.

All humans are born equal, but due to the circumstances of their upbringing they grow up with quite different concepts of right and wrong. Having created such diversity it is now up to humankind to reconcile the very differences that make us human.

A terrorist beheading a victim is obviously a crime, but the emotive reaction is entirely unhelpful. The same process should be applied to that terrorist as is applied to the perpetrators of any murder. The frustration of actually apprehending that terrorist and bringing any form of justice to bear is what caused the USA to overstep the mark in the recent past.

If a Cartoon offend you then take it to Court or suck it up .... !!! and if Pope dont understand that then puck the Pope

to be clear, I think nobody has the right to kill not in the name of Islam or any other believe. However that being said, I am pretty sure I can offend/insult you with a cartoon.
  • Like 1