Caramel apple recall by US firms prompt alert in Thailand

webfact

Caramel apple recall by US firms prompt alert in the country

BANGKOK: -- Caramel apple recall by the United States from several countries it exported to, including Thailand, has prompted Thai health care and agricultural authorities to investigate to find if any of the imported contaminated fruits have arrived in the country.

The action by the Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration came after the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urged consumers in the United States not to eat commercially produced, prepackaged caramel apples until further notice.

“Out of an abundance of caution, CDC recommends that US consumers do not eat any commercially produced, prepackaged caramel apples, including plain caramel apples as well as those containing nuts, sprinkles, chocolate, or other toppings, until more specific guidance can be provided,” the CDC said in a statement.

The consumer alert prompted two Thai state agencies to begin probing if any lots of the imports have arrived in the country or already in the market.

Caramel apples or taffy apples are created by dipping or rolling apples-on-a-stick in hot caramel, sometimes then rolling them in nuts or other small savories or confections, and allowing them to cool.

Deputy director-general of the Department of Agriculture Ms Surmsuk Salakpetch said the department was concerned about the contaminated apples and would join the DEA to inspect imported apples from the US in the market.

But she was optimistic that since the consumer alert was just made in the US, the imported apples might not yet arrive or reach the consumers.

However inspection would be conducted to find if any arrived consignment has been contaminated as the apple brands recalled also were sold in the Thai markets.

California company, Bidart Brothers, are recalling their Granny Smith and Gala apples and consumers are being told to throw out any they have at home.

The apples have been linked to a listeria outbreak in 11 states, which sickened 32 people including one in North Texas.

“Listeriosis contributed to at least four of these deaths,” said the CDC.

Nine of the cases were pregnancy-related and involved either mothers-to-be or their newborn infants.

Three cases of meningitis — a dangerous complication of listeriosis — among otherwise healthy children aged five to 15 were also reported.

The illnesses have spread across 10 states.

Listeria can cause fever, muscle aches, nausea and diarrhea, and symptoms typically begin within a few days to a couple of months after eating a contaminated product.

The bacteria is found in soil, water and animal feces.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/caramel-apple-recall-us-firms-prompt-alert-country

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-16

"Caramel apples or taffy apples are created by dipping or rolling apples-on-a-stick in hot caramel, "

Taffy apples ...that must be the Welsh version...Toffee apple possibly...best "lost in translation" I have seen for at least 2 days clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I think the term is correct, at least for USA products.

• Like 1

"Caramel apples or taffy apples are created by dipping or rolling apples-on-a-stick in hot caramel, "

Taffy apples ...that must be the Welsh version...Toffee apple possibly...best "lost in translation" I have seen for at least 2 days clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

For some weird reason, Taffy in America is Toffee in the UK. Its an aluminIum thing, with a little coloUr thrown in for good measure.

That said, who the hell in Thailnad eats toffee apples? Never seen them. And if so, why on earth would anyone import them into thailand. Its not as though they cant dip an apply in toffee

As a kid growing up in the Northeastern US, taffy and toffee were two different things.

There was taffy, usually white, but sometimes fruit flavored. The best known being from Atlantic City, Saltwater Taffy.

Then there was toffee. Quite similar to taffy, but softer and light brown, with a coffee-like flavor. The best was usually a UK import.

• Like 2

Well, I guess _something_ the Health Ministry cares about I guess, certainly doesn't give a flying nothing about cross contamination, temperature danger zone, clean kitchens...and the ever going on list that would take a day and a half to write down.

I honestly don't imagine that Thailand would import Toffee?Taffy apples all the way from America. Surely they would just import cheap Chinese apples and dip them in inexpensive Thai sugar?

I have seen what appears to be toffee apples on a cart outside my local 7-11 at night.... I've just never thought about trying one..... next time eh? I am sure they are not imported!

The apples have been linked to a listeria outbreak in 11 states, which sickened 32 people including one in North Texas.

“Listeriosis contributed to at least four of these deaths,” said the CDC.

Is someone attempting to be a bit clever/misleading with their words here? "Sickened"??? Do they mean "which sickened to death 32 people"??? Either I am missing something or else that headline should be a bit more eye-catching if people are dying from eating these apples

Anyone know why the one in North Texas got a special mention? Is North Texas renowned for being extremely stringent with the testing of its fruit produce?

For some weird reason, Taffy in America is Toffee in the UK. Its an aluminIum thing, with a little coloUr thrown in for good measure.

That said, who the hell in Thailnad eats toffee apples? Never seen them. And if so, why on earth would anyone import them into thailand. Its not as though they cant dip an apply in toffee

So is toffee in America, Taffy in the UK

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

noitom, on 17 Jan 2015 - 02:19, said:

The US are just a bunch of bad apples. Thais should stay away from the US land, its people, and its exports.

That is nothing other than an interesting generalization, multiple ones actually. Care to explain?

Edited by MiclB

So is toffee in America, Taffy in the UK

Taffy, flavoured syrup candy of Europe and the Americas that is cooked and then rigorously worked during cooling into a hard, chewy, glossy mass. Although the great 19th-century demand for taffy gave way in the mid-20th century to the popularity of chocolates and caramels, taffy remained widely available in its original “penny candy” form of small, colourfully wrapped pieces.

The basic recipe for taffy calls for sugar and molasses or corn syrup to be heated with water to a prescribed temperature. This cooked mass is then poured over cooling slabs and flavoured with essential oils. As it cools, the candy is rhythmically pulled, spread, and folded until it takes on a firm, satiny consistency. Saltwater taffy, once a staple of amusement parks and ocean resorts, took its name from a characteristic ingredient.

Toffee, a brittle confection of English origin, is a highly cooked mixture of syrup and butter to which nutmeats, flavourings, and colourings are commonly added during cooling.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/580198/taffy#ref100990

As a kid growing up in the Northeastern US, taffy and toffee were two different things.

There was taffy, usually white, but sometimes fruit flavored. The best known being from Atlantic City, Saltwater Taffy.

Then there was toffee. Quite similar to taffy, but softer and light brown, with a coffee-like flavor. The best was usually a UK import.

In Australia a toffee apple is one one a stick with a hard brittle casing of toffee around the apple, normally red in colour. I have never heard of a taffy apple but aussies are more aligned to the British when it comes to language.