Don't Vote For 'Previous Politicians,' Prayuth Advises Nation

Lite Beer

Don't Vote For 'Previous Politicians,' Prayuth Advises Nation

generals should stay out of politics coffee1.gif

But first, vote for me (Prayuth).

we don't need to give him our vote. we need to give him our trust and support because he is one of Thailand's "good people", an honorable man taking on a heavy burden not for himself but for the future of all of Thailand. Thank you 3 times, General Prayuth-Chan-O-Cha.

Best bit of sarcasm I've seen in a long time!

Previous politicians have had their chance and failed to reconcile the divide between certain groups and political parties. Thai people are fed up with this divide and political chaos. Thai people will choose a new government to lead them with representatives of the people chosen by the people through reform commitees who receive suggestions on who the people want to lead them. A true democracy.

And what happens if they vote for the wrong people?

No one can dictate to others as to whom they should vote into power and still claim to be democratic.

Too much is being invested into ensuring the "right" people get into power.

It would be better to reform the judicial system, reinforce checks and balances and gaol all corrupt officials/politicians for lengthy sentences (of all political persuasions).

It doesn't matter who is power if the structures around them are strong enough to punish those who abuse it.

That should be the focus.

"Although Thaksin was removed in a coup in 2006 and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008, political parties backed by the former PM have won every national election since his ouster."

He wasn't removed in a coup.

He's not in self exile, he's a fugitive criminal evading justice.

Still keeps winning elections though, which is rather more than can be said about the present lot!

Still keeps winning buying elections though, and probably scheming on how he can buy the next one.

Need to remind again:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/20459/the-democrats-vote-buying-and-suthep/

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Although Thaksin was removed in a coup in 2006 and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008, political parties backed by the former PM have won every national election since his ouster."

He wasn't removed in a coup.

He's not in self exile, he's a fugitive criminal evading justice.

Still keeps winning elections though, which is rather more than can be said about the present lot!

No problems here with people voting for whoever they choose.

However wish those elected could grasp the fact that victory does not mean they are above the law.

Wish they realised they are elected to rule for the benefit of the country, not their criminal overlord.

And speaking of thaksin.

Pity he can't man up and come home to face the consequences of his criminality.

Pity the Junta can't face justice for its coup. Tit for Tat.

Nope.

Not the same at all.

The PM is doing a great job. His job being to make sure that as many Thais get involved in the reform process. A career general, what ever. The reform is the only way to bring peace and harmony back to the nation. This man is just doing a job and he has been advised that voting in the same politicians as before will only drag the nation into another political debacle. When the new peoples government has been elected then you can voice your doubts but just giving negative viewpoints to the current status quo isn't helping anyone, let alone Thailand.

The PM is doing a great job. His job being to make sure that as many Thais get involved in the reform process. A career general, what ever. The reform is the only way to bring peace and harmony back to the nation. This man is just doing a job and he has been advised that voting in the same politicians as before will only drag the nation into another political debacle. When the new peoples government has been elected then you can voice your doubts but just giving negative viewpoints to the current status quo isn't helping anyone, let alone Thailand.

"Peoples government"...communism was tried and it failed...do you really want to go that way? It was just an ideology to keep "some" people in power. Nothing to do what people wanted

Not so in China, communism has brought the country to becoming a future super power. I want democracy in Thailand one person one vote. The politicians must be true representatives of the people and not corrupt working to better their personal wealth or using their position in a corrupt manner. That is why the politicians must be suggested by the people, old politicians worked in a corrupt environment before so new ones are needed so this cycle doesn't repeat itself. Also the divisions e.g red and yellow shirts must cease and anyone associated with these two factions must also be on the list of undesirable candidates for members of parliment.

Previous politicians have had their chance and failed to reconcile the divide between certain groups and political parties. Thai people are fed up with this divide and political chaos. Thai people will choose a new government to lead them with representatives of the people chosen by the people through reform commitees who receive suggestions on who the people want to lead them. A true democracy.

The military have also had their chance 18 times or more, in fact the military has probably been in power more than combined civilian Govts since 1932, so why you would have any confidence in them to do anything for reform this time is farcical. They are one of the main causes of the issues in Thailand, they are not going to make the changes that need to be made, which would see their gravy train come off the rails.

They have had 18 times to make it a better place and make the 'reforms', the last time just 7 years ago. The same problems were apparent then that are here now. Did they do anything to address them all then? Why is this time going to be any different?

I have highlighted one sentence in bold. Can you explain what you mean? The Thai people will choose a new Govt, but the reform committees will select them?? It makes no sense.

Not probably, but in reality... since 1932 the military has been in direct control of the government for more than 45 years. Far more than half.

The military have also had their chance 18 times or more, in fact the military has probably been in power more than combined civilian Govts since 1932, so why you would have any confidence in them to do anything for reform this time is farcical. They are one of the main causes of the issues in Thailand, they are not going to make the changes that need to be made, which would see their gravy train come off the rails.

They have had 18 times to make it a better place and make the 'reforms', the last time just 7 years ago. The same problems were apparent then that are here now. Did they do anything to address them all then? Why is this time going to be any different?

I have highlighted one sentence in bold. Can you explain what you mean? The Thai people will choose a new Govt, but the reform committees will select them?? It makes no sense.

To put 'in fact' and 'probably' in the same sentence seems strange. Maybe you didn't feel like counting, just like stating based on a 'probably'.

Elected governments in Thailand covered quiet a few more years than those started by coups. Here a pointer, have fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Thailand

Well without getting my calculator out, and excluding any of the less than 1 year reins, i can easily count 45 years plus of military control, so i don't see my statement being without merit.

I know English is not your first language, but there is nothing strange about the use of 'in fact; and 'probably' in the same sentence.

In fact it's probable you were not counting because without counting it would not be obvious that probably the Military were in control longer than civilian governments over the 1932 - 2014 period.

BTW your math is just as lousy as rickers.

Not probably, but in reality... since 1932 the military has been in direct control of the government for more than 45 years. Far more than half.

Start counting again, my dear chap. It would seem you has a problem accepting a General as PM even if he was elected in a general election.

Start counting again, my dear chap. It would seem you has a problem accepting a General as PM even if he was elected in a general election.

are you going to go on yet another denial rant?

Do the math yourself Rubl. 45+

And in any case, what you should know having lived and worked here for so long is that the military are running things whether they are directly in power or not.

As a junta cheerleader, that should make you very happy.

Not so in China, communism has brought the country to becoming a future super power. I want democracy in Thailand one person one vote. The politicians must be true representatives of the people and not corrupt working to better their personal wealth or using their position in a corrupt manner. That is why the politicians must be suggested by the people, old politicians worked in a corrupt environment before so new ones are needed so this cycle doesn't repeat itself. Also the divisions e.g red and yellow shirts must cease and anyone associated with these two factions must also be on the list of undesirable candidates for members of parliment.

How do you know how great China is compared to Thailand, or any other country? Have you experienced living in both countries and many other countries to be able to make comparisons?

YOU want democracy in Thailand with one person one vote, do you? That's quite big of you considering you're not a Thai, and have zero say in how the Thais handle their own affairs, I really do wonder why so many farangs seem to think that they're more Thai than Thai's and want more from the country than Thai's themselves do.

I never liked visitors come to my house and complain about the decor, or how I disciplined my kids, or my taste in food etc, they were shown the door, and told to go and sort their own lives out before trying to tell me how to run mine...so, oh why Why do non resident farangs seem to think that it's okay to walk into Thailand, and start trying to tell them how to run their lives, and their politics, when it's apparent that leaving their naturalised homeland couldn't have been that great as they moved out of it, into another country, that takes a millenium to figure out "Thainess" ??

One of the things that grips me most is the Thais don't seem to take road safety seriously, with kids jumping about with no seatbelts on, I have tried in the nicest possible way, without offending anyone to asky why they don't, and it's a case of, "why? what's the big deal, we have been like this since well before you came along", it's Thainess, and there's not much can be done, until there's a fatality, until that happens, they seem to have an "up to me" attitude. Do I try to interfere in their logic? without stepping on too many toes, I step back and leave them to it, I just make sure my own safety is there, in the vain hope they get it.

Thai politics isn't much different, they don't need farang advice, they've been making a mess of their own affairs a whole lot longer than all forum members have been alive.. somethings just can't be changed.. so no point in getting worked up about it.

Fat Haggis I am not preaching about Thainess or how they should live or vote or reform their country. I am being the odd one out. Everyone on this forum reply like sheep so its about time this changed. Although my viewpoints are mostly what I feel I like to voice the other side of the argument or why debate at all if we all agree on everything. Being the underdog is fun, you should try it.

And in any case, what you should know having lived and worked here for so long is that the military are running things whether they are directly in power or not.

I really like the goal post moving 'and in any case'. As if that helps to deflect from inability to count military controlled governments and duration and differentiate from democratically elected generals like Gen. Chavalit.

Edited by rubl

I really like the goal post moving 'and in any case'. As if that helps to deflect from inability to count military controlled governments and duration and differentiate from democratically elected generals like Gen. Chavalit.

did you do the math?

why don't we just compare notes? I, for example, count all 8 years of Prem in my numbers. As a junta cheerleader, you might consider that a 'democracy'. Certainly we could have different results in that case.

Also, the fact that the military has been in control whether directly or indirectly is self-evident and not a deflection from the fact that 45+ years since '32 have been under the control of military governments. The generals have more skin than anyone else in this messed-up game called Thailand politics.

did you do the math?

why don't we just compare notes? I, for example, count all 8 years of Prem in my numbers. As a junta cheerleader, you might consider that a 'democracy'. Certainly we could have different results in that case.

Also, the fact that the military has been in control whether directly or indirectly is self-evident and not a deflection from the fact that 45+ years since '32 have been under the control of military governments. The generals have more skin than anyone else in this messed-up game called Thailand politics.

I really like self-evident, it's like saying obvious suggesting that any fool can see and should agree. Well, you can call me names, but a fool I'm not.

So, 45+ years of military controlled governments between 1932 and 2014 in Thailand. Maybe we should ask smutcakes to list the years as he came with this 45+ as probable number, or do you feel up to the task?

Lots of generals were PM, quiet a few of them after general elections and as we all know it's obvious that Thailand needs those elections rolleyes.gif

PS when you count don't forget the Samak and Somchai governments. They resulted from general elections while we still had the junta in control whistling.gif

Edited by rubl

did you do the math?

I really like self-evident, it's like saying obvious suggesting that any fool can see and should agree. Well, you can call me names, but a fool I'm not.

So, 45+ years of military controlled governments between 1932 and 2014 in Thailand. Maybe we should ask smutcakes to list the years as he came with this 45+ as probable number, or do you feel up to the task?

Lots of generals were PM, quiet a few of them after general elections and as we all know it's obvious that Thailand needs those elections rolleyes.gif

PS when you count don't forget the Samak and Somchai governments. They resulted from general elections while we still had the junta in control whistling.gif

I don't believe that I've ever called you a fool.

An unabashed junta cheerleader - sure. I'll owe up to calling you that.

It's interesting that posters like to lay all the problems at Thaksin's feet, when the structure of Thai politics has not changed significantly since the 1950s. Seems odd to ignore the structure underlying the problems.

did you do the math?

It's interesting that posters like to lay all the problems at Thaksin's feet, when the structure of Thai politics has not changed significantly since the 1950s. Seems odd to ignore the structure underlying the problems.

I didn't say you called me a fool, I just indicated you seem to think that. Your posts imply as it were.

BTW nice deflection. Does that mean you're still counting?

did you do the math?

I didn't say you called me a fool, I just indicated you seem to think that. Your posts imply as it were.

BTW nice deflection. Does that mean you're still counting?

I finished counting a long time ago.

At the moment, I update my numbers about once a month.