Pichit: Residents affected by gold mining operations petition the prime minister

webfact

Residents affected by gold mining operations petition the prime minister

19-1-2558-15-37-14-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Representatives of residents living around Akara Resources Company’s gold mining facility in Phichit province today petition for help to address their health problem from Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha.

The petition letter which was submitted through the office of the permanent secretary of the PM’s Office has called on the Central Institute of Foreign Science to conduct blood tests of villagers suspected to be exposed to chemical contamination from mining operations and to examine the environment around the mining site to determine the level of contamination in order to ensure the safety of water resources.

The petitioners also demanded the land plots which used to be their traditional farming lad in Noen Maprang district of Phitsanuloke but appropriated by the state for the mining purpose should be returned to them.

They claimed that some of the land plots were turned into sor por kor (land reform) land for the benefit of the ming firm without their knowledge.

Separately, the villagers asked Rangsit University to send experts to check for toxic substances in land and water resources in areas adjacent to the mining site which cover parts of Phichit, Phitsanuloke and Petchabun provinces.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/residents-affected-gold-mining-operations-petition-prime-minister

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-19

Prayut urged to act on gold mine
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

30252211-02_big.JPG

Villagers fear heavy metal contamination

BANGKOK: -- PEOPLE LIVING near a gold mine in the central north are calling for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to urgently intervene after hundreds of villagers were found to have heavy-metal contamination.

Wunpen Promrungsun yesterday submitted a petition to Prayut yesterday on behalf of those affected by the Akara Resources gold mine.

The petition calls for Prayut to order the Central Institute of Forensic Science (CIFS) and Rangsit University to jointly conduct tests on local people in three provinces who fear they have been affected - Phichit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

"The tests will scientifically determine if people are contaminated with toxins," the petition said. It also requested that potable water be provided to the locals.

"Local people are not able to use water from local sources as preliminary tests show it is contaminated," the petition said.

Prayut was also urged to review the process under which the mining licences were granted. The petition explained that many residents were made to vacate their land for so-called environmental conservation, but later found that their land was being used for gold mining.

"We hope the prime minister will act fast," Wunpen said.

Later in the day, she also went to Rangsit University to meet president Arthit Ourairat with the hope of persuading him to dispatch a team to the three provinces to conduct blood tests on some 6,000 residents.

"We hope the government will provide funds for these tests," Wunpen said.

Seukanya Thirachartdamrong, who represents those affected in Phichit province, said she hoped the prime minister would intervene fast as local residents were now frightened.

The Department of Primary Industries and Mines suspended the operations of the gold mine last week, after which locals heard several gunshots in the area and interpreted it as a form of intimidation.

"I've also heard that the gold mine is trying to launch a campaign in support of its operation," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prayut-urged-to-act-on-gold-mine-30252211.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-20

Prayuth has more pressing issues on his mind at the moment. There is the landscaping around his office, the new floating market and being number one in orchids. Send the village heads a bunch of orchids and order them to round up the unhappy folk.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure if you tested every village in thailand you'd find that everyone had higher levels of heavy metal contanimation in their bloods. ....

Fish soak up the heavy metals in the water and if you've ever seen a thai waterway you know they are the most disgusting polluted places filled with junk.

Maybe the mining company is guilty. Or maybe, more likely, people being poisoned through food contanimation is just part of life in Thailand.

Edited by Time Traveller

Can you believe it. I would be well chuffed to live next to a gold mine. Heck, my land might also have gold on it. With lots of folks around a restaurant would make a pretty penny. If I needed a job I'd know where to ask. Most of the west coast of the US was discovered and settled apon by gold prospecting. Thai gold, a true Thai patriot would be proud of their nations gold mine.