Too GOOD to be TRUE? One year ed-visa - NO immigration visits required

Hi all,

I'm new here and did my best to find information from previous posts. However, couldn't seem to find anything that answered my question.

Through various friends, I was introduced to a company that offers 1 year education visas from a thai language school. Nothing new here.

What really got my attention was their guarantee that said company would handle both the 90 day report AND the 3 month extension for me (I would have to pay the usual fees, etc), and even highlighted the fact that I would not have to visit the immigration office for the whole year. While this service is more expensive than a one-year education visa offered by any of the language schools (about double the price), it seems it could be worth it.

My initial reaction was "ok, they're going to offer me that, I pay, then three months down the line I'll be told the rules have changed and I have to go myself". What I am wondering is it a third party extension is at all possible in this case? Any help would be appreciated.

My gut reaction says no, my brain says investigate further.

BR,

Willy.

Applications must be made in person, although often agents are used.

Another person doing 90 day reports for you is allowed.

I used to always see one person with 15-20 passports doing 90 day extensions of stay. You would think that your number will come up soon then one of these people before you have 20 passports & takes forever! Used to really piss me off seeing these people taking so long with their pile of passports.

This service does not exist anymore.

It is not possible to obtain a yearly ED extension through a Language School.

Read the post ! The OP mentions 3 monthly extensions not a yearly one

Thanks for pointing out.

I spoke to some Language Schools and even the Schools do not confirm 3 month extensions, they say up to Immigration, so I doubt that any company can guarantee the three month extensions.

May be get 2 Double Entry Tourist Visa, that would cover also for a whole year.

• Like 2

@blanes2007, I must have been confused with the pricing. I meant double price as in 40-50k baht for the year.

I spoke to some Language Schools and even the Schools do not confirm 3 month extensions, they say up to Immigration, so I doubt that any company can guarantee the three month extensions.

I have thought about this, but am genuinely interested in learning Thai properly and adding it to my CV. While I could come in on tourist visas and learn from a private tutor, I figured a language school would still be the best bang for my buck.

Are double entry visas easy to acquire? I heard they are not given in neighbouring countries anymore, so if I was to take this route where would be best for me to go?

I am going to follow up with the company that offered to do these extensions for me and will keep you all updated.

You can can get 2 entry tourist visas in Laos. At the moment you can get up to 3 of them back to back.

You do not have to have an ED visa to attend a language school. You could even go to a University on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

@blanes2007, I must have been confused with the pricing. I meant double price as in 40-50k baht for the year.

I have thought about this, but am genuinely interested in learning Thai properly and adding it to my CV. While I could come in on tourist visas and learn from a private tutor, I figured a language school would still be the best bang for my buck.

Are double entry visas easy to acquire? I heard they are not given in neighbouring countries anymore, so if I was to take this route where would be best for me to go?

I am going to follow up with the company that offered to do these extensions for me and will keep you all updated.

If you want to leave the country via airport, best thing to do is to go to the visa re-entry desk. Doesn't take more than about 20 minutes (at the most). You can get a single entry or multi entry permit depending on your needs. Multi entry is about 3200 baht. Single I believe is about 1500 baht. Available to the expiry date of your 90 day check in.

Where can one find a good agent? I'm in the Chonburi area (use Pattaya immigration)

Don't stress about getting a double entry visa.. 99% you get a single entry. It's just easier for them and seems to be a standard across the board. Easy enough to go the airport or back to immigration to get re-entry permits.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you want to leave the country via airport, best thing to do is to go to the visa re-entry desk. Doesn't take more than about 20 minutes (at the most). You can get a single entry or multi entry permit depending on your needs. Multi entry is about 3200 baht. Single I believe is about 1500 baht. Available to the expiry date of your 90 day check in.

Where can one find a good agent? I'm in the Chonburi area (use Pattaya immigration)

He does not need a re-entry permit. Single is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

Don't stress about getting a double entry visa.. 99% you get a single entry. It's just easier for them and seems to be a standard across the board. Easy enough to go the airport or back to immigration to get re-entry permits.

A 2 entry tourist visa is easy to get in Laos.

A re-entry permit does not give you any additional days. They only keep your current permit to stay valid when you leave and re-enter the country.

If you want to learn Thai don't take these schools.

they don't teach you anything,they just list vocab like it was done in 1960's.

And when you turn up for extension your level is not up to immigration ridiculous expectation and you don't get 3 months.

Or at least give yourself the possibility to avoid immigration by choosing a multiple ED visa and leaving the country instead of doing extensions, which would be like the tourist visa situation but just more expensive.

So like U.Joe said, it makes more sense to just take a tourist visa instead