Singapore to ban drinking in public places after 10.30pm

webfact

S'pore to ban drinking in public places after 10.30pm
Lim Yi Han
The Straits Times

SINGAPORE: -- Drinking in public places, including parks and common areas in Housing Board estates, will no longer be allowed after 10.30pm under a new Bill introduced in Parliament yesterday.

The proposed islandwide curbs will last through the night till 7am.

The Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) Bill, introduced by Second Minister for Home Affairs S. Iswaran, will also stop retail shops from selling alcohol after 10.30pm.

There will be stricter rules for Little India and Geylang, which will be designated as Liquor Control Zones - places where there is higher risk of public disorder associated with excessive drinking.

The tougher measures will be similar to the temporary rules put in place in Little India following the Dec 8, 2013 riot there.

Drinking is currently banned in public places in Little India from 6am on Saturday to 6am on Monday, and from 6am on the eve of public holidays to 6am on the day after the holiday. The retail sale of alcohol is banned from 8pm till 6am on weekends, and on the eve of public holidays and public holidays.

In the Bill, those found guilty of drinking after 10.30pm in a public place will face a fine of up to $1,000. A repeat offender may be jailed for up to three months.

A shop which sells alcohol after permitted hours may get a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Flouting the rules in Liquor Control Zones will carry 11/2 times the penalty.

Consultations by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) showed broad support for regulations on the sale and public consumption of alcohol.

Full story: http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-70652.html

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2015-01-20

Bill to ban public consumption of alcohol tabled in Parliament

20-1-2558-10-07-00-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SINGAPORE: -- A new Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) Bill was tabled in Singapore Parliament on Monday. If it is passed into law, drinking of alcohol between 10.30pm to 7am in public places will be banned, The Straits Times reported on Monday.

Retail shops islandwide will also not be allowed to sell take-away liquor from 10.30pm.

According to the proposed Bill, people found guilty of drinking after 10.30pm in a public place will face a fine of up to $1,000. A repeat offender will not just face the possibility of a fine of up to $2,000, but also a jail-term of up to three months.

A licensee who sells alcohol beyond trading hours stipulated in its license may be liable to a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bill-ban-public-consumption-alcohol-tabled-parliament

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-20

Singapore was much more fun when I was there with the RAF from 1968 to 1971.

The food was great and cheap and you could drink 24/7 if you knew where to go.

I arrived there one day and met a mate the following lunchtime. Within 24 hours of arriving I was on a trip around the Tiger Brewery. 15 minutes of looking and 1 hour 45 minutes of free drinking. The record time for the trip around the brewery was a little less than 7 minutes. When ever the group stopped for the guide to ex[plain he was told the story by one or another of the group.

Ah the good old days when I was 24 and fancy free.

Not saying I totally agree with the Singapore drinking law but you have to admit that the fines and jail time will deter people from breaking the law. If Thailand only would enforce their laws with similar penalties perhaps the place would be a little safer to live.

Try living in Australia where you can't have a beer in public places at any time

What about the Barbe's in the parks alex..?? its been a while since I have lived there----- they provide the BBQ's etc free, can you not have a beer now???

Can I blame Tony for this....facepalm.gif

Not saying I totally agree with the Singapore drinking law but you have to admit that the fines and jail time will deter people from breaking the law. If Thailand only would enforce their laws with similar penalties perhaps the place would be a little safer to live.

Oh watch out ttthailand is being shot at again--things are so bad in Thailand, I just get frighten just reading his posts.

by the way ttt let us all into a big secrete -just what city are you actually from?

• Like 2

Oh watch out ttthailand is being shot at again--things are so bad in Thailand, I just get frighten just reading his posts.

by the way ttt let us all into a big secrete -just what city are you actually from?

Yes classic, I have noticed it also--each day living here is hell for ttthialand.

• Like 1

I am a country boy from America. But have traveled the world my entire life and have lived over 20 years out of the US.

I don't stay in my home and play with myself every night. I go out to all locations and enjoy myself. I have seen too many crazy things and have lost good friends in Thailand due to things that got out of control. This place is getting more crazy every year and with Thais stabbing farangs and getting a 500 baht fine and released I think it is time for a change.

And you ???

Digbat, you have been a TV member for less that a month. If you want to be a smart as& and mouth off do a little investigation and learn something first. Have you read my posts for the last 8 years ? Have you lived all over Thailand ? Have you ever had a business here? Have you ever had a friend killed here ? Until you have experienced the good and bad of Thailand you don't know Shi/- ....

Edited by ttthailand

Yes classic, I have noticed it also--each day living here is hell for ttthialand.

I love Thailand my home for 20 years... I just don't like the idiots who scam, cheat, rob, murder, etc etc..... Farang and Thai.... and bring disgrace to my new home country.

I also think it is not fair to tell tourist how safe it is here when currently it is not.

My friend that is a Singapore native never seems to understand why on all my trips to Thailand I haven't visited Singapore. Sure I would like to, but the cost just never seems justified and Thailand has a much higher fun factor for me.

i as a singaporean also rather choose thailand.