SALARY in Thailand

Benz4me

Teachers' Salary: How much do you make?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, I'm in. I'll start the yes-no part. yes.

I completely disagree with you on that one and my input is no with the tendency to see a possible development which might end up in a no-yes agreement.

Edited by lostinisaan

Okay, time for your poll:

18 K when you're from Nigeria with a degree from Cameroon. ( When you're acting like a professional native English speaking teacher.)

20 K, if you're from the Philippines. ( You'll have to call all, including the janitors "Ajarn." and must be fluent in brooming. )

33 K when you're able to speak and teach Germish. ( Only if you survive ten years, without them knowing how se sings really are.)

0 K when you purplish your Thai wife. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

I have added a poll. I think we are all aware that how much you make will depend on the type of school as well as the number of years you have worked. It may also vary with your nationality and your educational background.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

smile.png Can more of you fill the poll, so we can show it to the schools when we talk about the salary.

The poll is for fulltime working houers 25+ smile.png So pleace fill in it helps all of us thumbsup.gif

You're really going for it, dude. 25+ full time working hours would be five hours per day. Are you currently employed as an English teacher?

Are you really serious about showing any online polls to a school, when seeking employment?

Also 25 contact hours / classes each week is pretty high. But then from the sounds, you're working for a school that pays below the average wage, and they're often the ones who want to ride their teachers hard. Often because they simply can, as they're in a large city or tourist area.

As yeah, the "average" wages and expected workload are usually based on supply and demand. So schools in Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya often pay very low wages, or pay "normal" wages, but expect a large number of hours (And won't renew contracts for teachers who complain etc). By comparison, schools in Isaan usually pay a little better and expect less hours from their teachers, and will continue employing them so long as they continue breathing.

At least that's my take on things from what I've read on here + discussed with other teachers + advertised positions I've seen.

• Like 2

Yes I worked as an Speaking teacher, I worked 24h + last 24 weeks 3h/week so 27h/week. The resutat of the poll is ore not good to have as an print when speaking for salary. Like here I worked the director say in next school the salary is 15 000 THB/month.... 20+h...So your salary is to high ... I did not know when stop to laugh ... Inside my self... My salary was 26 000 THB/month so on the lowe side for this work. Now my contract ended so starting hunting for next place to teache ;-)

Edited by Benz4me

It just kills me how most schools (even ones in the middle of nowhere) are willing to pay an agent 50k, but wouldn't go above 30k-35k direct with the teacher bah.gif

Economics. Using an agent are variable costs. Having own teachers are fixed costs. Different budgets are used. Edited by aidenai

Because variable costs change with the level of production. We aren't talking about teachers working on an hourly basis.

I mean I see a slight connection but it's pretty weak still. Agencies are still being for 12 months by schools (my understanding) so even in that scenario you can't say it's a variable cost.

Because variable costs change with the level of production. We aren't talking about teachers working on an hourly basis.

I mean I see a slight connection but it's pretty weak still. Agencies are still being for 12 months by schools (my understanding) so even in that scenario you can't say it's a variable cost.

Agencies are only hired for the period that the school is in session. i.e. 10 months at the most. To be frank, schools don't pay agencies for the October holiday but it's too much for the agencies to put this back on the teachers. Working for an agency will give foreign teachers a 10 month employment contract. Schools employing agencies don't need the approval of the Service Area of the MOE. Agencies are not fixed costs. Don't need regional nor national approval.

You state to see a slight connection. Funny that it doesn't appear to you, as an expert in economics related to the education system in Thailand, that the regulations set by the TCT for basic education schools don't seem to apply to agencies. You, as an expert in economics will come up with a reason for that other that the relation between fixed and variable costs. Don't you?

Edited by aidenai
  • Like 1

Whether or not it's regulated has nothing to do with it being a fixed or variable cost. So that's a fancy way of wasting time.

Now indeed, if schools are only paying or 10 month contracts than I can see an argument for it being a variable cost. However, I've heard that far too often it ends up being an agency being paid for 12 months, with a kick-back to the contract manager or someone of the school. From a bigger picture point of view that doesn't allow it to be a variable cost anymore, ,as indeed the school is shouldering payment of 12 months of salaries. If that is not the case then I stand corrected.

I'll admit I don't know the inner (and seemingly dodgy workings) of agencies and how to circument regulation, as I've never done much with those folks.

• Like 1

Yes I worked as an Speaking teacher, I worked 24h + last 24 weeks 3h/week so 27h/week. The resutat of the poll is ore not good to have as an print when speaking for salary. Like here I worked the director say in next school the salary is 15 000 THB/month.... 20+h...So your salary is to high ... I did not know when stop to laugh ... Inside my self... My salary was 26 000 THB/month so on the lowe side for this work. Now my contract ended so starting hunting for next place to teache ;-)

A "Speaking teacher", great. Dear Op,

It’s really not in my interest to criticize your written English, but do you converse with your students, Thai English teachers and foreign colleagues the same way you write?

One of my responsibilities at my former school was to look for foreign teachers, then to stay in touch with them, to finally schedule an interview.

And to be honest with you, a similar e-mail from you seeking employment wouldn't be completely read by anybody who's familiar with the process of hiring English teachers and will immediately land in the trash bin.

An American female teacher with a Master’s in education signed up for the same amount of money you’re on. That was last year, but you wrote that you felt underpaid?

You shouldn't even start laughing about a director telling you that your salary’s too high. Neither lol, nor “inside your self.”

The one word you wrote “resutat” makes me believe that you’re a German citizen, am I right about that? Referring to the German word Resultat.

Or result in English.

Considering the fact that you've started this “poll”, to show HRM, teachers and school coordinators how high, or low foreign teachers’ salaries are, doesn't make much sense.

Please copy your post on an Office Word document with a spell check and see your mistakes with your own eyes.

Google comes with a spell check and I think there’s also a program for TVF members.

How could you even pass an ordinary TOEIC test? And what does your resume look like? Good luck for your "hunt." -wai2.gif

lostinisaan.

Thank you for the good advises, I will have them in mind when I wright my resume.

I'd definitely "write" a good looking resume with an actual photograph and no spelling mistakes, if I were you.

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/Right-Rite-Wright-Write.htm

Please see "TEFR test" and give it a try. http://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php wai2.gif