whats the transport like in chiang mai

wondercul

you don't have to have your own motorbike here but a scooter is a bloody brilliant way of seeing and getting to know the city. helps if you're at least a bit of an experienced rider mind.

Two tips :- Don't try to keep up with the local kids, too many of their journey's end in the Temple.

Go to a print shop with your passport and get him to copy at credit card size, then encapsulate. Hire people will accept this, do NOT give over

passport. I use this in lots of countries as ID and always accepted.

The problem most visitors have with the "red pick-up trucks" is that you have to be able to tell the driver where you want to go. If you can do that, it's dead easy.

I usually have a look on Google Maps on my phone and tell them the name of the closest temple. Generally there's a temple within a 3 minute walk of anywhere, and I'll be damned if I ever meet a Thai who doesn't know where a temple is.

• Like 2

Now that you mention int, 'van' originates from caravan and means a covered boxlike motor vehicle, used for transporting goods or people.

I say Sonthaews/Songtaos/Songtells/Tsongtoowies qualify.

So a camel caravan is? Isn't a caravan a group of means of transport?

I have mostly found the song taw in Chiang Mai convenient and helpful. The tuk tuks are another story.

You just have to be a little careful with the tuk tuks. I know some tuk tuk drivers and they can be pretty down to earth people. And there are some that will attempt to scam you. If a tuk tuk driver tries to "Hard Sell" you on a tour or to take you around the city, then be wary. If it feels like a scam, it's probably a scam. The honest drivers generally are not hanging out and actively calling for customers. Find one the the ones that are just kicked back and relaxing. If your going anywhere that is within about 10 km of city center, you shouldn't be paying more than 80 to 100 baht, and in some case less. Negotiate the price before you get in. If it doesn't 'feel right', smile, say 'mai bpen rai', and find another tuk tuk. You just have to use common sense, and regardless of how the tuk tuk driver acts, be polite even if you're saying 'no'. If you find a driver you like, get his/her telephone number. And relax.

Also, if your interested in going to Lamphun, you can walk down Loi Kroh and cross the steel bridge and turn right. All the Blue Songtaw (pickup trucks) go to Lamphun and there is a purplish-blue-white minibus (bigger than a van and not as big as a bus) that goes to central Lamphun too. I think the songtaws were 20 baht to Lamphun and the air con minibus might be 40. Very cheap for the 30 km drive into Lamphun city.

Edited by connda

I have mostly found the song taw in Chiang Mai convenient and helpful. The tuk tuks are another story.

You just have to be a little careful with the tuk tuks. I know some tuk tuk drivers and they can be pretty down to earth people. And there are some that will attempt to scam you. If a tuk tuk driver tries to "Hard Sell" you on a tour or to take you around the city, then be wary. If it feels like a scam, it's probably a scam. The honest drivers generally are not hanging out and actively calling for customers. Find one the the ones that are just kicked back and relaxing. If your going anywhere that is within about 10 km of city center, you shouldn't be paying more than 80 to 100 baht, and in some case less. Negotiate the price before you get in. If it doesn't 'feel right', smile, say 'mai bpen rai', and find another tuk tuk. You just have to use common sense, and regardless of how the tuk tuk driver acts, be polite even if you're saying 'no'. If you find a driver you like, get his/her telephone number. And relax.

only tourists (and fools) use tuk tuks.

I use tuk tuks on occasion, and I'm neither a tourist nor a fool. They are often quicker to obtain and they can go places that songtaw drivers refuse to go, and you'll generally get to your destination faster (songtaws often have multiple passengers going to different locations. You can end up taking a 20 minute drive to get to your destination that is only 5 minutes away). Tuk tuks have there uses, especially if you're in more of a hurry, and you know exactly where you're going.

I use tuk tuks on occasion, and I'm neither a tourist nor a fool. They are often quicker to obtain and they can go places that songtaw drivers refuse to go, and you'll generally get to your destination faster (songtaws often have multiple passengers going to different locations. You can end up taking a 20 minute drive to get to your destination that is only 5 minutes away). Tuk tuks have there uses, especially if you're in more of a hurry, and you know exactly where you're going.

BS!

tuk tuks are driven by criminals, scam artists and gang members.

songtaws are cheaper for all and any journeys, even if you do exclusive hire (about 200-300bht for a morning hire).

Depends if you're in a hurry or not. A song teaw with a few passengers will take them around the back streets and drop them off.

If you have to keep an appointment, a tuk-tuk driver will go direct and drop you off at the door.

Also very convenient if you have an arm load of shopping.

Question for the troops: does anyone have a link to a color-coded map of (non-red) songthaew routes? I think I remember seeing one awhile back, but can't find it.

To OP - I agree with most everything above. Below is a particular impression.

1. Taxis don't work well here; no meters, as in BKK, even though they say "meter taxi."

2. Red songthaews are great for in and near; but you must know where you are going, and how to ask for it. Don't haggle; it's 20 B inside, and 30 B to the big "corner malls."

3. Different color songthaews can take you far out of the city for cheaply, but you have to learn the routes and terminal stops. (See request above)

4. Tuk-tuks are an overpriced, polluting menace in my opinion. But now n then, they are the only option, especially at night. Be ready to bargain (nicely and firmly).

5. Two wheeled rentals are abundant and not expensive

6. Walk! It's a great city for lots of walking. Crossing uncontrolled, streets as above: after you can make eye contact with drivers, smile a bit, walk out into the traffic with a little wave of the hand. It's "normal" here.

Question for the troops: does anyone have a link to a color-coded map of (non-red) songthaew routes? I think I remember seeing one awhile back, but can't find it.

Here you go. Info on color coded Songtaews:

http://www.cmstay.com/red-trucks-arent-red/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713549-different-color-songtaew-stop-and-route-guide/#entry7604904

• Like 1

Typical from AOA. More of the same old negativity. In his mind all Thai tuk tuk drivers are criminals.I doubt he has ever used one.

Of course there are honest tuk tuk drivers who do the right thing as they want you as a regular customer. Many use the same area as a base and once you establish a relationship and feel comfortable get their phone no, it can be very advantageous.My daughter, when she taught here, had this arrangement with a girl owner/driver and it worked fine for 2 years,never had a problem.

Thai bashing on this forum is very common makes the poster feel superior.

• Like 1

Just curious, but why so many troll posts and sarcasm about this subject. Personally I'm just trying to help the OP. Instead of pissing all over the helpful posts and the reputation of decent Thais who are just trying to make a living, try looking in the mirror and try to understand what it is that is making ya'll so bitter and nasty. Chill out and try posting something helpful, useful, and accurate instead. <head shake>

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Typical from AOA. More of the same old negativity. In his mind all Thai tuk tuk drivers are criminals.I doubt he has ever used one.

Of course there are honest tuk tuk drivers who do the right thing as they want you as a regular customer. Many use the same area as a base and once you establish a relationship and feel comfortable get their phone no, it can be very advantageous.My daughter, when she taught here, had this arrangement with a girl owner/driver and it worked fine for 2 years,never had a problem.

How many Thais (that aren't related to the driver) do you see in tuk tuks?

None!

(Ps I am Thai, and so are 50% of my family, mostly criminals of some sort and a few police)

Depends a lot on your physical condition. If you are not in good condition try walking as far as you can. Stop. Take a break,andthen walk more. This is of course sans luggage. Even in good condition walking is great for maintaining your condition.Walkways generally are very much broken up with curbs, trees, trash, broken sidewalks, and sleeping dogs to avoid so it often can be like a trek in the woods. This way one can learn your way around intimately unlike on any mode of transport including bicycle. A new route each time of travel is excellent for gaining knowledge of the city. In no time at all you will know the city much more than any Thai and can actually give them directions as Thai will only walk within spitting distance. At the end of the day you've saved a decent amount of change and primed your physical condition. Need I mention also that when you do have that cold beer at 'trails end' you'll enjoy it all that much more!

• Like 1

Depends a lot on your physical condition. If you are not in good condition try walking as far as you can. Stop. Take a break,andthen walk more. This is of course sans luggage. Even in good condition walking is great for maintaining your condition.Walkways generally are very much broken up with curbs, trees, trash, broken sidewalks, and sleeping dogs to avoid so it often can be like a trek in the woods. This way one can learn your way around intimately unlike on any mode of transport including bicycle. A new route each time of travel is excellent for gaining knowledge of the city. In no time at all you will know the city much more than any Thai and can actually give them directions as Thai will only walk within spitting distance. At the end of the day you've saved a decent amount of change and primed your physical condition. Need I mention also that when you do have that cold beer at 'trails end' you'll enjoy it all that much more!

You forgot to mention that footpaths/sidewalks/pavements are usually blocked by motor bikes. To be fair, there is certainly no provision made for them to park anywhere.

Often it's the staff of the building nearby who park all day, often almost blocking the entrance to the building.

The street is about the only place you can walk unhindered, apart from the occasional truck, motor bike or a few hundred cars.

• Like 1

Walking YES - it's a great experience here.

Blocked sidewalks, motorbikes and cars parked on the sidewalk are a huge problem. Thus, walking in the street is expected and not unsafe if you keep your wits about you.

Two schools of thought on this:

1. Western (safer IMO) to walk facing traffic, so both you and the driver can take evasive action in time to avoid collisions.

2. The Thai way: to walk with the traffic, thereby putting the entire onus of missing you on vehicle drivers.

Me, I just pick the shady side regardless.

With out going in to detail I have no means of transportation now. The existing transportation system suits me just fine. I have no trouble going any where in town. As a previous poster said walking is great for exercise. the prices you have been quoted are often true but slowly going up. They were the prices of 4 years ago. On the busy songthaew routes it is still an easy 20 baht. But getting farther away from it decreases their chance to pick up fares and they will ask for more. Never never ask how much. If they want more they will tell you before you get in. As for Tuck tuck's well they are a bit more expensive. But they are a direct route with no side trips. The new ones are nice if you are new in town and want to see where you are going. They give you a decent view of what you are passing by. Not sure if they get more money for them or not.

• Like 2

None!

Well, few. But definitely some at certain times and places. (markets mostly, like Chiang Mai Gate market early morning, or Kad Luang.)

If you live downtown and just bought a lot of stuff from the market then a Red Bus songthaew can be awkward, when you can just shove everything in a tuk tuk for roughly the same amount of money. (Red Bus driver would charge more too if there is some cargo and he has to go down a specific soi.) And the tuk tuk drivers hanging out at those markets can be reasonable, as opposed to Night Bazar dwellers.

Basically anytime you want to convenience of going all the way to the door, as opposed to sharing a red bus, going on a detour and then walking a bit. Or when there's 2-3 people then Red Buses could be more expensive even. Meter Taxis could theoretically cover that, but as we all know they're completely useless in Chiang Mai. (How many local Thais take meter taxis when they're not related is an equally valid question..)

And bargirls also take tuk tuks as they're around late at night. Otherwise they'd have to stand on a major street all tarted up and then share a Red Bus to not-quite-where-they're-going. They also seem to have some rapport with them as they hang out in similar spaces, both geographically as well as in the demimonde of society.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

None!

Well, few. But definitely some at certain times and places. (markets mostly, like Chiang Mai Gate market early morning, or Kad Luang.)

If you live downtown and just bought a lot of stuff from the market then a Red Bus songthaew can be awkward, when you can just shove everything in a tuk tuk for roughly the same amount of money. (Red Bus driver would charge more too if there is some cargo and he has to go down a specific soi.) And the tuk tuk drivers hanging out at those markets can be reasonable, as opposed to Night Bazar dwellers.

Basically anytime you want to convenience of going all the way to the door, as opposed to sharing a red bus, going on a detour and then walking a bit. Or when there's 2-3 people then Red Buses could be more expensive even. Meter Taxis could theoretically cover that, but as we all know they're completely useless in Chiang Mai. (How many local Thais take meter taxis when they're not related is an equally valid question..)

And bargirls also take tuk tuks as they're around late at night. Otherwise they'd have to stand on a major street all tarted up and then share a Red Bus to not-quite-where-they're-going. They also seem to have some rapport with them as they hang out in similar spaces, both geographically as well as in the demimonde of society.

How do you tell if they are related?

• Like 1

You can't.

AoE (and Yours Truly) mentioned it to concede that some local Thais do use tuk-tuks (and meter taxis) when their brother, uncle or next door neighbor happens to be a tuk tuk driver so they have a good relationship that implies a good price (or free) and no shenanigans.

Wasn't that clear from the context?

I don't love how people often repeat "tuktuks are cheap" when they are the single most expensive form of transport per km in the whole of Thailand !

How much should a 1km trip in a tuk cost? How about a 2km trip and 3km? Same question for 2 wheel motorbike taxi, if they exist. If you happen to know the Thai price and the ferang price, please quote both.

Edited by wondercul

I don't love how people often repeat "tuktuks are cheap" when they are the single most expensive form of transport per km in the whole of Thailand !

How much should a 1km trip in a tuk cost? How about a 2km trip and 3km? Same question for 2 wheel motorbike taxi, if they exist. If you happen to know the Thai price and the ferang price, please quote both.

You are correct, tuk tuks are expensive. If my gf, who is a local, waved down a tuk tuk in a central area, even she would pay a relatively high price. Why? because this is a touristic city and they are trying to make money. If you are here long term you will begin to realize metro Chiang Mai is spread out and covers a large area. I don't want to get into a debate with regular posters here, but every single one of my gf's friends or relatives, literally hundreds of people have their own transportation and most drive a vehicle. If you can, get a scooter at minimum.

• Like 1